Author Topic: Landing a Spit  (Read 600 times)

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
Landing a Spit
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:08:27 PM »
Having difficulties landing a Spit without crushing the gear or having it touch down only to wing dip as it slows and result in a ditch.

I know, practise, practise, practise. Just curious if there are any tips.

thanks in advance.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Landing a Spit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 01:07:55 PM »
Is the wing dip accompanied by a spin as you slow on the runway?  The spin is due to HTC getting a large majority of the tail wheels from old shopping carts.  If you pull back on the stick about half way when you get under 75 knots IAS it should lock the tail wheel and prevent the nasty ground loops.

To stop the gear from breaking on landing requires lowering your descent rate.  You should flare just before touching down, meaning you should pull back on the stick a bit.  The goal is to get the plane to stop descending, then cut the throttle to idle and gently (hah!) glide onto the runway.  If your approach speed is over 120 knots IAS (the white speedometer needle) then you are coming in too fast.  Try making some S turns as you approach the runway to shed some speed.

And don't listen to the pilots that tell you to land with the gear up.  Yes, it isn't a real plane, but it's a bad habit to start.  If you want to fly in scenarios you should know how to land and taxi properly.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Landing a Spit
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Good advice from Auger.

Make your approach slow and shallow enough.

In a Spit, touchdown speed should be around 90 mph, descent rate under 1000 feet per minute (thats between 0 and -1 on the climb indicator). Also, have your flaps down on landing.

On final, use the pitch (elevator) to control speed - nose higher to slow, nose more level to speed up. And use the throttle to control your descent rate.
A good practice for that is flying half an inch over the runway at stall speed a few times, before actually lowering the gear to land.

Just before your wheels touch the ground, flare by adding a little bit of throttle. Always keep your nose high on landing - if you aim for the runway, you are going to hit it, hard.

As soon as your down, chop throttle, lock tailwheel and just let the plane roll a bit before starting to brake the wheels.

If you keep having trouble with the Spit, try a P38, then HurriMk2, then FM2.... they easiest to land. Once you get them down safely, retry the Spit. (of all the spits, the Mk14 and Mk16 are hardest to land).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline shooter1cac

• Zinc Member
      • http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3707/sapplf6.jpg
Landing a Spit
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:06:55 PM »
Another thing..if the Spit gives ya a little bounce after the initial touchdown..do not panic and dive for the deck or you will wreck your gear. Spits in here and in real life will sometimes make a little bounce after the initial touchdown. It's common and nothing to be nervous over.
Also..remember to be smoooooth. Easy input on the stick, easy on the throttle. Once you get the hang of it you can easily land almost any plane with just throttle use and little to no input from the stick once you're lined up.
Except a Corsair. That baby will ground loop in a heart beat if you aint use to landing it. :)

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
Landing a Spit
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Auger
If your approach speed is over 120 knots IAS (the white speedometer needle) then you are coming in too fast.  

Funny. Honestly I think anything below gear drop speed is mine. I usually come in 140 160

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:08:04 PM »
Some of my smoothest landings have been at around the 200 mark in a Dora... just slow enough for the gear to come down without making horrible noises.

When you come in a little quicker (ie, rushing due to fuel leak or pilot wound) you tend to have a flatter decent rate due to your speed creating more lift.

You also have to pitch your nose down a bit which means your front wheels hit the ground first, provided you're light on the stick you should be able to touch down incredibly smoothly.

If you jump on the brakes while your tail wheel is still up you can keep a little bit more control (no tail wheel interferance).

This last part only really works in some of the luftwaffe rides due to the fact that thier brakes don't pitch your nose over, the Spit will do this to you if you jump on the brakes too hard if i remember, so be careful about that.

While the spit has better cockpit visiblity than the 190s and 109s, i've found that they can be a real ***** to take off and land sometimes, so try a 190 for practicing landing.

the 190 is great due to its massively wide wheel track. I'll give you a dollar if you can roll a 190 on the ground.

Otherwise, for slow speed landings.... be gentle with your throttle, use your flaps (deploy them in incriments if you have the option (spits don't, they're up or down), so as you slow down more, lower your flaps more and flare your nose up slightly and gently just before touch-down.

Good luck
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Niros

• Copper Member
      • http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2?
Landing a Spit
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:41:00 AM »
I touch the ground with ~90 mph and the breaks on. When my spit has no tend to take off again i make some fine adjustments using the rudder and full pulling back the stick. I never use flaps on landing.
... so my tips are : the speed , the breakes on before and during the landing , fine rudder adjusments while the plane is on the runway ...
+Sorin+
My YouTube movies:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:20:58 AM »
Also, remember that you can use differential breaks to steer on the ground - especially when the speed drops so the rudder is ineffective. This is usually the point where you start to ground loop.

Just be ready with the 'C' and 'V' (default keys) and tap them when you notice the drift starts to develop. Them continue breaking normally. This usually works better than doing wild rudder corrections.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:12 AM »
Thanx folks. All great tips. The tail wheel lock did the trick.

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »
jusr remember,,low and slow (140?)  gear?? who needs stinking landing gear?!?!?!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Landing a Spit
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »
Originally posted by Coronado
jusr remember,,low and slow (140?)  gear?? who needs stinking landing gear?!?!?!

Coronado, its always good to get plane down in one piece for several reasons.

You might have to taxi if you didnt make it ON the runway. In scenarios, you might be required to land and rearm without the option of towering out.

Also, 140 VERY fast, for either a landing or a ditch. In a Spit, i recommend around 90-100 mph.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »
What really get to me is, I'm almost on the ground, the aircraft floats left or right or the ground effect lift keeps the aircraft up for ever.  :O Just can't seem to get the last few miles per hour scrubbed off.:noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Hat

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.708th.com
Landing a Spit
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 07:19:58 AM »
Originally posted by DustyR
What really get to me is, I'm almost on the ground, the aircraft floats left or right or the ground effect lift keeps the aircraft up for ever.  :O Just can't seem to get the last few miles per hour scrubbed off.:noid

Just decrease throttle and nose up. Works wonders.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Landing a Spit
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:36:59 AM »
Just my 0.02p, but Ive found that a great way to avoid that annoying spin while no the ground, is to come in just above idle throttle, then when you have touched down, gradually increase your throttle just a bit. Then brake.  Once you have all wheels on the ground slowly ease off the throttle. This has worked wonders for me and is still working for me.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline mustard

• Zinc Member
Landing a Spit
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »
also, remember to raise the flaps after touching down. that along with locking tailwheel will increase your stability.