Author Topic: Landed successfully or ditched?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Landed successfully or ditched?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 07:15:48 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Anyone happen to notice goin into the tower while still rolling (no matter how slow) on the runway = ditch?
>>>>>>>>>><

Ren'
The Damned

I think it is because you can not tower out of a moving plane in most arena settings, when you tower out while moving it was always (at least always in ah2) a ditch i think.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 09:05:51 AM »
Trotter, you may be right.

Schutt, I think anywhere are away from the airfield is a ditch and so it should be. You have ditched your aircraft and it may be not recoverable. It's not like its a big deal. Sometime I thinnk they took landing to the extreme though. The only place where it's absolutely neccessary to land on the rwy is on the CV. :)

As far as, exit to tower from a moving plane....now you can. But you get a ditch. In earlier versions you could never exit a rolling plane. I have not idea what prompted that change. Odd to say the least.

This isn't a whine as it's intended to help new folks understand the nuances of the game. Most new folks land on the field and figure, "Ha! I made it". then find out they ditched 5 feet off the runway.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »
I've landed successfully on the pavement in town before...

Actually got very lucky... lost my engine.. couldn't make it to base.. made an emergency landing in town and somehow managed to stop perfectly centered on one of the paved roads in town...  LANDED SUCCESFULLY!  Just before I was completely stopped, right as I was typing  ".ef"  I saw an enemy plane auger into a building right in front of me.

It was quite funny!

I have no problems with the current landing model - Fact of the matter is IRL you're much more likely to survive a landing on concrete than grass (Think about it.. if the plane is so banged up that it is uncontrollable, you're much more likely going to flip over onto the grass somewhere, or overshoot and crash N burn, or whatever. )  The fact is that if you have enough control of the plane to stop on the pavement, then your chances of survival are highest.. hence a successful landing.  Also a "successful" landing, in my opinion, has nothing to do with aircraft condition... it has everything to do with if you can walk away from it or not, and not get killed by the enemy in the process.

Now the Ditch/Captured model I think is a little goofy.  I think you should ONLY be considered captured if you're within a certain range of an enemy base (Radar Circle, for example) AND there is an enemy nearby.  I don't believe there should be any proxy kills from a ditch/capture.. but ONLY in the case that the plane is fully stopped when you end mission.  If you bail, then there SHOULD be a proxy kill if there is an enemy nearby.

Just my $.02...

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
Good thoughts Tigger...

It's interesting to note the Brits flew off grass fields so they could remain dispersed. This prevented heavy bombing of major concentrations of parked planes on their main airfields.

Offline calan

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
Originally posted by Schutt

EDIT: Maybe have to add a 3rd option, landed undamaged... giving you 100% and have landed successfully give you only 95 %. Then landed undamaged could require no damage in damage display, airfield, concrete. And the other one require on an airfield (whole square), port or vehicle field and being able to walk away (not killed/exploded).

That sounds like a great idea. :aok

The only thing that bugs me about this, and the reason I mentioned it in the first place...is that it kinda sucks to make a decent emergency/damaged landing on your field with enema everywhere, and then get vulched while rolling slow to get your wheels back onto some pavement.

Oh well.... as was said, it is what it is..  :)

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 08:54:10 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
why not get captured then escape and land at a friendly base and get a successful landing...

Yea!  Escape, run over to the spawn point, shoot the pilot in his face, drag him out and steal his plane to fly home in.    A little Grand Theft Auto mixed in!:aok

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

As far as, exit to tower from a moving plane....now you can. But you get a ditch. In earlier versions you could never exit a rolling plane. I have not idea what prompted that change. Odd to say the least.

Actually, the "exit while moving" is an arena setting,  which differ from (online) arena to arena. Its also specific to a vehicle type (plane, vehicle, boat, amphib, gunner, field gunner, chute).

The only ONLINE arena you can exit out of a plane while its moving is the TA.
Not 100% sure, but in the MAs i think you can exit out of a moving vehicle (resulting in a ditch) so make sure you are completely stopped before towering out in GVs.
In the DA, you cant even exit out of a chute while its still floating/moving.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:05:38 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.