Author Topic: From an AH newbie's point of view...  (Read 987 times)

Offline Meander

• Zinc Member
Fugitive
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 11:27:37 AM »
From my perspective Fugitive is right on!

However I find in the arenas I fly it usually goes like this

I up from a base (spit9 usually---mid war)   fly toward an area that has a few red markers (no green around)  spy a red spit9 ---engage him ---we pass a few times he hoes and runs.   I chase for a bit but he running for buddies.   I rtb but before I can return same spit with la and a20 are engaging me .   I dive for deck ack and turn--turn.  I engage la,,,mostly ack damages him,,,,,I put a few rounds in him,,,,a20 diving I evade,,,,,spit kills me.  I ask spit why he would not fight me 1 on 1 earlier,,,,tells me to quit wining(his word)  Then I laugh and he asks me to DA him,  I say no ty  

This was my last flight Sunday evening

I don't have much time in AH--  the pilot of the red spit has a top 100 rating(actually 80 sunday)

I guess I am lost as to why that good a player would fail to engage in co e same plane fight

I like a good fight,,,,usually fly solo or with a small squad I'm in...we are all
just learnibg the ropes

Fugitive is right I believe

Meander

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Re: Fugitive
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »
Originally posted by Meander
From my perspective Fugitive is right on!

However I find in the arenas I fly it usually goes like this

I up from a base (spit9 usually---mid war)   fly toward an area that has a few red markers (no green around)  spy a red spit9 ---engage him ---we pass a few times he hoes and runs.   I chase for a bit but he running for buddies.   I rtb but before I can return same spit with la and a20 are engaging me .   I dive for deck ack and turn--turn.  I engage la,,,mostly ack damages him,,,,,I put a few rounds in him,,,,a20 diving I evade,,,,,spit kills me.  I ask spit why he would not fight me 1 on 1 earlier,,,,tells me to quit wining(his word)  Then I laugh and he asks me to DA him,  I say no ty  

This was my last flight Sunday evening

I don't have much time in AH--  the pilot of the red spit has a top 100 rating(actually 80 sunday)

I guess I am lost as to why that good a player would fail to engage in co e same plane fight

I like a good fight,,,,usually fly solo or with a small squad I'm in...we are all
just learnibg the ropes

Fugitive is right I believe

Meander

You've just found out the secret to AH2 -

Rank means nothing.

All it means is that the player knows how to play the game to get the most points etc.

Don't confuse rank with skill.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
From an AH newbie's point of view...
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
don't have all the answers, but maybe HT should take a look at the motivation and knowledge of the less educated players, rather than trying to make a group of veterans with completely opposing ideas happy.... if you want to even things out.

Isn't that one of the things he doing with the changes, He not makimg alot of the Vet. happy.
JT

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »
3. Related to #1 above... The hot rods take perk points to fly, and every newbie wants to fly a hot rod. To get perk points, you have to be a good pilot or find easy kills (i.e. vulch or bomb undefended bases). So how does a newbie earn perk points while playing "fair", learn the game, and at the same time avoid being shot down by the veteran pilots who... skill aside, could also up a perky at any time if they choose?

Perk planes suck! Not sure if you knew that

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 12:33:35 PM »
Majority of people do not know how to use perk planes.  None of them make an average pilot a good pilot, each has its strengths and weakness'.

Someone flying around in a 262 that doesnt know how to use it might as well be in a C.202 - probably have more luck in that.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 12:38:32 PM »
Calan...

You seem to have the right attitude.... Hope you stay around awhile. :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline calan

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
Originally posted by Ball
Majority of people do not know how to use perk planes.  None of them make an average pilot a good pilot, each has its strengths and weakness'.

Someone flying around in a 262 that doesnt know how to use it might as well be in a C.202 - probably have more luck in that.

This and what Bugs said may be (and probably are) true ... but... newbies don't know this. They see "perks" and do what they can to earn those valuable points.

It doesn't matter if it's necessary or not. It still helps drive the horde.

Personally, I don't know how the perked planes ride, because I haven't earned enough points to check one out (that silly earn money and family thing gets in the way of my practice time). So I wouldn't mind earning some points myself... not to get a "better" plane to get more kills, but because I like to try different planes and it may be fun to go up against a vet in a POS and me in an uber ride ... if for nothing more than to extend my sortie life for a few minutes   :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:51:17 PM by calan »

Offline calan

• Copper Member
Re: Re: From an AH newbie's point of view...
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »
Originally posted by Oleg
The irony of perks is that, when you need uber planes you dont have enough perks, but when you collect enough perk you already dont need uber planes most likely ;)

That's my whole point, in a more direct way of saying it.  :)

When I'm tooling around and see a con in a Tempy.. I know two things immediately:

1. His plane is perked, and better than mine because...
2. He's a way better pilot than me because he can afford a perked plane, and therefore knows how to utilize the perk's advantages.

Like throwing gas on a fire... Think I'm in a hurry to fight him?   :lol

(Actually... I would fight anyway... maybe I'd learn something from the death...  but you get my point).

Now that I think about it...  whether intentional or not, this makes it easy to figure out who to avoid and who the skilled players are...  I should use this more effectively from now on... Stop going after the ace in the tempy and concentrate on that vulch so I can get some perks like that ace in the tempy.

:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:03:25 PM by calan »

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
perks
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »
there are some go non-perk planes out there and yes it takes time to learn to fly them. QWas on 3 months before I got ny first kill. Hang in there and it will come.
JT

Offline calan

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
Why not inversely scale the perk multiplier based on K/D or some other quantifiable "rating"?

The better a pilot you are, the harder it is to earn perk points. If you suck, you earn perks a lot easier.

Then the vets may be harder pressed to up an uber ride (but not stopped completely), and newbies could get in them quick and figure out that they aren't special unless you know to fly and use them properly.

The middle ground may provide for more evenly matched fights... "vets" in non-perked against "average" in perked.

And it would take away that "holy crap I need to run" thing I mentioned a couple posts back.

And while we're at it.. reset and cap the perk points at something...  anything less than 16,000!  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:59:18 PM by calan »

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 12:53:54 AM »
Originally posted by calan
Why not inversely scale the perk multiplier based on K/D or some other quantifiable "rating"?

The better a pilot you are, the harder it is to earn perk points. If you suck, you earn perks a lot easier.

You dont know what you asking for. The whole bunch of dolts will pwn themself again and again only to get XXXXX perks per kill in 262 later.

Repeat: perk here to limit said planes. Its a price you must paid, and you must work to will able to pay it.

And no, perks are not any significant factor for hordes. Hordes formed by ppl who want to win, not just to collect perks.

If you want try perk planes or learn it - go to TA or DA, everything free there.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 01:45:31 AM »
Originally posted by calan
but because I like to try different planes and it may be fun to go up against a vet in a POS and me in an uber ride ... if for nothing more than to extend my sortie life for a few minutes   :D

:lol :D