Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Just wondering
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 11:17:40 AM »
Hehe, nice "AAR" - glad you had fun.

As for radio usage, views and all other kinds of tips, check out both http://www.netaces.org and http://trainers.hitechcreations.com

As for only getting a B24 to smoke..... two important things on gunnery: Get up close and personal for shooting (ideal range between 200 and 400) and set your convergences.... for a P51 i would suggest 275 on all guns for starters (te set, when in Hangar click on SET CONVERGENCE)

Hope to see you in the unfriendly AH skies soon :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Just wondering
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
if you're looking for a plane that's easy to fly, has a good set of guns, and is a good training plane for learning air combat, the spitfire mk V is your best bet.

i'll look for you in the training arena :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
Just wondering
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 11:59:23 AM »
Off line drones will continue flying like nothing is wrong, even when they loose important parts like wings.  You have to get them to explode like you did with the 38.  Fuseloge shots or killing the pilot will cause them to explode.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Just wondering
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 12:04:30 PM »
There are some planes in the hangar that a lot of people consider good starter planes.  I've always liked to ask people if they have any interest, historical or otherwise in any specific plane.  The reasoning behind that approach is any new player is going to get kicked around for awhile when they start flying in the arenas.  The learning curve is pretty steep and it's easy to get frustrated.  If there's an interest other than just playing the game it can make sticking with it a little easier.  I started on the P-51 myself because I had always liked it growing up.  Later I moved to the F6F and P38 as my historical interests have shifted over time.  

That being said a lot of people recommend the Spitfires to start with.  Generally speaking they offer a good mix of speed, firepower, and manuverability.  There are others that come up often as well and I'm sure someone will pipe up here sooner or later with their own ideas.
I would suggest taking a little bit of time and experiment a little and try and find somthing that suits your taste.  Once you kind of settle on somthing that you like stick with it.  Once you get a solid base, or skill level it can be good to fly different airplanes, it's been my experience that you learn somthing new by flying different aircraft.  But that really only is of benefit after you have some time under your belt.  Find somthing you like for whatever reason and get to know it untill your ready to try somthing new.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Just wondering
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 12:07:04 PM »
Actually, only killing the pilot will make them blow up. Apart from that, theyll just keep on "flying" on their preset course. You can actually make a gunnery practice out of that - shoot parts off one by one. Wingtip, wing, elevators, stabs, rudder.... if the plane blows before your down to only a flying fuselage you "lost" :).

I agree with Biggles on the Spitfire series. Mk5 for Early War and Mk8 or Mk9 for later war arenas..... they have a good overall performance and are rather forgiving. Same goes for F6F, but that one requires more flap work.
Whats more important than plane choice though is actually sticking with one plane for a while, utill you got a fairly good handle on its abilities and strenghts/weaknesses.

Whats your ingame ID if i may ask?

Offline boedy

• Zinc Member
Just wondering
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:13 PM »
I have yet to even make a ingame ID.  It will probably be Noobus.  Or Noobus 161 if Noobus is taken.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Just wondering
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »
LoL OK.

Ill watch out for you then :).

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Just wondering
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 09:13:37 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
if you're looking for a plane that's easy to fly, has a good set of guns, and is a good training plane for learning air combat, the spitfire mk V is your best bet.

i'll look for you in the training arena :)

Biggles...what convergence settings to you use for the Spit V?

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Just wondering
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 02:58:01 AM »
Originally posted by boedy
Ok.  So I hit the skies last nite.  Unfurtunately, I couldnt pick up the Saitek joystick, I just couldnt find anything aside from the X-52 around this area.  This market seems to be huge on  Logitech as they had about 10 types.(Comp USA was the store, im from NYC, and parking tickets cost ALOT, like $115 type of ALOT)  So I just got the Thrustmaster, if it lasts me a month i'l be happy and will prob upgrade to some advance stuff when it goes dead.

Anyway, somehow I actually manually took off and landed in the offline practice section. (I landed on my belly, but the host said I landed lol) I'm still pretty lost on the radio controls and everything else, but off course, I played for about 90 minutes last nite, and about 85 of these were spent in flight.  The first time I deserted, had no idea what was going on.  The second time I got up there, picked on something slow (a b24) and went off on it.  I ran out of ammo with the thing smoking.  So I tried again.  And again lol.  After my 4th try I decided to leave the heavily armored B24 alone.  So I picked on a P38, and walah, took it down with a single burst!  I musta hit in the right spot.  I only flew the P51 last night.  I noticed in the trainer its all about going in a circle and trying to get position.  MAYBE...just maybe i'l get online tonight.  I might just "train" for another night thou, and get online tomorrow, since I'm off all day, no kids or wife to nag me :)  

Needless to say, I'm very excited and cant wait to try the online version.  I think I might be part of this community for a long time to come the way its looking lol.

EDIT:  I forgot to ask this.  Which plane would you guys say is a good noobie plane to start with??  I only flew the P51 like i mentioned earlier, and I got the hang of it very quickly and was able to pull off some pretty cool maneuvers w/o crashing.  I did also try some type of fighter/attack plane,(cant remember the name, maybe a markXVI or something) and it was a lot harder to fly(crashed after the first takeoff)  So I'm asking more about fighter planes only.

nice to see someone else from new york city

Offline LTDMonte

• Zinc Member
Just wondering
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 01:49:06 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril

Eh, what's that sonny?

. There is simply NO comparison between an artificial opponent and a human one, no comparison whatsoever. In AH the greatest challenge is in adjusting to the unpredictability -- the enemy that prooves to be plain dumb one time,  while the very next one may be devilishly skilled.

too true having owned the enemy in janes ww2 and cfs1 and cfs 2 when i got online playing Fighter Ace {another online game but not near the quality} i thought i would go in there and rule...first three days i got my tail handed to me by the same guy over and over so i made friends with him and learned from him....i left that game because of the politics they go through {not to mention the drama} and didn't fly for over a year....i found out   about Aces High from my old squads web page and joined up.....i haven't regretted it at all...cheers

LTDMonte

The LTD stands for Loyalty,Teamwork and Dedication

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Just wondering
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 02:17:53 AM »
Hi monte,

You may remember me from your time in FA.  Welcome to AH the community.  These guys have always been helpful and if you run into any difficulties or have any questions.   feel free to post.

I helped Spike when he came over and he seems to be picking it up fast and spoke to fess yesterday.

If you guys can stick at it (the learning curve is steep)  I'm sure you will be very happy as a squad in your new environment.

all the best

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Deth7

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.pigstompers.net
Just wondering
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 06:57:14 AM »
I set all guns to 300 cept zeke and la5 I set those to 250
EA Still Blows...AOL Still Sux

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Just wondering
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 09:18:58 AM »
Originally posted by Max

I dont know about Biggles, but i got them up close and personal:

225 for the cannon
175 for the MG (if you want to use them to "spook" people into turning rather then use them to kill after you run out of cannon rounds, set them further out)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Just wondering
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »
Originally posted by Max

sorry, just saw this...

i use a convergence of 300 in all my planes except the hurri and spit 1 which are at 175, and the 262 and 163 at 400

it gives me the option to hit buffs and things from some distance while still being accurate and useable in a close dogfight

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC