Author Topic: Nighttime....  (Read 365 times)

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
Nighttime....
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:20:55 AM »
Moin

Now we have 4 diverent arenas. How about to have one with nighttime back. It would be realy great if we get the night back. Now it is posible becouse everyone can diside himself if he want to fly in night or not.
please bring it back it would made the new arena setting more butty.

cu chris3

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Re: Nighttime....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:43:03 AM »
Originally posted by chris3
Moin

Now we have 4 diverent arenas. How about to have one with nighttime back. It would be realy great if we get the night back. Now it is posible becouse everyone can diside himself if he want to fly in night or not.
please bring it back it would made the new arena setting more butty.

cu chris3

Are you related in anyway to HT ? your spelling is as bad as his.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Nighttime....
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:56:06 AM »
Chris:

Night time is very difficult to implement fairly because of variation in monitors. Since some look "darker" than others, we have brightness adjustments that neutralize the night.

Bottom line: anyone who doesnt want to fly in the dark can go to video settings, increase the gamma slider as desired, and see as if it were noon. Those who know the trick have a huge advantage over those who dont, and if everyone has gamma up to play there isnt any night effect anyway.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Nighttime....
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
GRUSSS Chrisdreiiiiiiiii!

(Greetings, Chris3)

It may be a good time to bring back an hour or so per rotation of night.  In the past, some players grumbled about the night and went afk for it's relatively short duration...(most players had NO IDEA to just turn up the video Gamma).

1)  It was extremely cool to get a couple of kills at sunset, and then land them just after dusk...surrounded by bright glowing stars.

2)  The skills it takes to fly at night are pretty amazing, and faced the realities of those who had to do the same over 50 years ago.

3)  It's a lot harder to pork and vulch in the dark...gv'ing skills get more honed...besides, there's a whole added strategy to sneaking troops out in the dark.  In actual past conflicts there WERE no automatic cease-fires at sunset.

4)  With multiple arenas now, I hope that HTC is able to grow to the strides of the old Air Warrior---WWI, multiple WWII Europe, multiple WWII Pacific, Korea Arenas...and then make EA and AOL look bad in retrospect by adding Vietnam, WWII Africa, arenas with submarines and independant sub destroyers...and yes, some arenas with night--including adding night-fighting models of the day.  How about "snow" arenas resembling the Eastern Front?  The possibilities based on historic fact are plenty...

Hey, I was never a big fan of playing in the dark, but then again, I've grown a lot as a player since then.  ;)

BTW: Ironic...I respectfully ask if you would be so kind as to cut some of our non-native English speakers a measure of slack on the boards.  I appreciate the fact that HTC DOES allow some minimal foreign language use on the boards, but their requirement is that all posts be in English.  I studied German VERY hard in high school and in college....My German is NO WHERE NEAR as good as Chris3's English!  He's a great stick, and a Great fellow KNIGHT!

Respectfully,

ROX

**PigStompers**
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:29:26 AM by 68ROX »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Nighttime....
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Chris:

Night time is very difficult to implement fairly because of variation in monitors. Since some look "darker" than others, we have brightness adjustments that neutralize the night.

Bottom line: anyone who doesnt want to fly in the dark can go to video settings, increase the gamma slider as desired, and see as if it were noon. Those who know the trick have a huge advantage over those who dont, and if everyone has gamma up to play there isnt any night effect anyway.

Check out my post on monitor calibration.

I've said it before. I'll say it again.
If you cant see at night in AH, your monitor is not adjusted correctly to begin with

Same thing if you have problems seeing during dusk/Dawn in the game
Oh hell. here is the link again

Everyone really should check it out. Youd be surprised

Monitor Calibration Tool
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:28:11 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Nighttime....
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 12:41:48 AM »
Actually, you can have night time and have everything basically as clear as day time.

It's an Arena setting.  You just adjust COLORLIGHT(NIGHT) all the way to the right, all three sliders.  It also helps to have fog visabilty to 18miles.

Voila!

You now have the stars, cool cockpit lights, and it's everything is clear as a bell.

I have run many 2nd Frame SnapShot's with the arena set that way.  Also 'bout 6 rounds of a Saturday King of the Hill.  Took me a few go's to get the settings down.

Only reason we didn't keep it for all of the KOTH was that planes fly BEHIND the Moon and you lose sight of them.  

I think HT should consider giving it a try.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Nighttime....
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
You may be missing his point.  He's asking for the times on AH when there was NIGHT, not dusk, not dawn, NIGHT for like, 2 hours per day rotation.

AH got alot of complaints about NIGHT and got rid of it.

He LIKED NIGHT fighting.

ROX