Author Topic: Very Specific Self Publishing?  (Read 98 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Very Specific Self Publishing?
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:27:13 PM »
Hey all...

Ok, so here's the deal...  A few years ago I created a "book" dealing with basically my history and that of my friends.

I took it to a regular old Kinko's type place and got the front and back laminated and the spine as spiral bound.

That worked well for a 20 page teaser...  But lately I've been reading it and thinking "gee, I had to leave out SO much" and "man, those drawings suck."

At the time, I had to get it done by a very specific date, hence the 20 page limit.  However, this story would really need at least 100 - 200 pages to truly be told.

I've started mapping it out already...  But I don't want to break ground and put the pen to paper yet (this is a "comic" book, kinda like Maus), until I figure out where I'm going to get it "published" and what their guidelines will be.

What I want this to look like is:

- 8 & 1/2 x 11" - LANDSCAPE
- Hardcover
- Full color inside
- Layout as I send it in - no editor switching my panels around

These things right there make this, probably, an impossible dream.  But, it is a dream I'm willing to pay dearly for (well, up to say, $5k).

I was wondering if any of you knew a place that might be willing to do this (or something similar) for me, or possibly if any of you are in this business.

Again, right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what my limitations would be before I go starting this...  I don't think I could realistically put a pen to paper until late December, anyway...  I'd anticipate this project would probably take me anywhere from one to two years to complete.

Making something like this - a real heirloom that could be passed down to our kids - is something I've been wanting to do for about six years now.  The 20 page teaser was nice...  But I could make something much better.

Any help is appreciated!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group