Author Topic: spits give me fits !!!!!  (Read 834 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: spits give me fits !!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Have you tried this doing right turns?

- oldman

I found no significant difference in turn radius between right and left. Tested clean and with full flaps. The only notable difference was that the Yak-9U generated a slightly better turn rate to the right than it did to the left (about 1.5 degrees/sec). Turning in either direction, the Yaks are very much outclassed by the FM-2 (which has a smaller turn radius than the N1K2-J and is dead even with the Hurri IIC).

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Trikky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
spits give me fits !!!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 07:05:32 AM »
I dont have the technical expertise to add much more but from experience the Yak U hits a brick wall at 200mph acceleration wise. The spit you were just trying to get angles on will out accelerate you, probably the N1K too, if you disengage at this speed and dont have the option to dive.

One other thing, if you manually set climb to just a shade under 2K a minute at low alt, and you have enough seperation from faster planes at equal levels of E - La7, 190D etc you can maintain that gap till more options become available.

Offline df54

• Copper Member
yaks
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 08:57:09 AM »
been flying yaks almost exclusively for about a month now. its a fast lil
bugger and cockpit visibility is outstanding But it also has some glaring weaknesess. It's a dog a low speed and doesn't turn well at all.Most
definately an energy fighter. I'm gonna stick with it. Sooner or later i'll learn
the art and science of energy management.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spits give me fits !!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I found no significant difference in turn radius between right and left. Tested clean and with full flaps. The only notable difference was that the Yak-9U generated a slightly better turn rate to the right than it did to the left (about 1.5 degrees/sec). Turning in either direction, the Yaks are very much outclassed by the FM-2 (which has a smaller turn radius than the N1K2-J and is dead even with the Hurri IIC).

Thanks, Widewing, guess I've just been lucky.

- oldman

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spits give me fits !!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Thanks, Widewing, guess I've just been lucky.

- oldman

Not lucky oldman... Good.

A good pilot can use the full limits of his airplane. The average pilot cannot, and will be beat by a better pilot in an inferior turning plane 90% of the time.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.