Author Topic: I am getting 2000 FPS, and AH messes up my comp?!  (Read 629 times)

maximus13

I am getting 2000 FPS, and AH messes up my comp?!
« on: July 19, 2000, 06:06:00 PM »
  GUys please help me out?!?

I recently installed my new Logitech Force 3D Pro and all this crap happened:

AH ran fien for first few times... then IT HAPPENed

I get 600-2,000 Framerate... wow.  I have a TNT PCI 16 MB , runs fine in my Half Life CS game..  But, those hgh FPS actually slwo my game down to a nsails pace. When I click on hangar, it takes 2 mins to get there, and when I launch, I can see the indvidual bullets...  I see my plane takeoff, then I go back to the tower cause I crashed..

PLEASE HELP ME!!

I have a WIndows 98 800 MHz AMD Athlon
256 RAm
30 Gig HD.....

*Also, My clock in my system has alsmot stopped,... it's 6:30, but it says 5:52. Also, Windowns performance is horribly slow.

UPDATE* Note, It might be related to disconnections from the game. After a while, i get discoed from the game... PLEASE HELP ME.

[This message has been edited by maximus13 (edited 07-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by maximus13 (edited 07-19-2000).]

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2000, 10:05:00 PM »
Have no clue max. Sounds like a conflict within your machine.

maybe one of the more experienced techno heads can help.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2000, 01:50:00 AM »
Check if you have V-sync ON...
that's perhaps the cause ...

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2000, 04:24:00 AM »
Hi Max,
I don't know much, so I usually use the shotgun method of fixing probs... here's  some ideas, in no particular order:

I'm assuming you have a new system? I was going to suggest checking the cmos battery on the mobo. A low battery would cause probs with your computer's time.

You mentioned in the arena that you use DX7a?
Run "dxdiag" to possiblly diagnose the problem. Or you can find it by clicking start > explore > Program files > dx file.

Remove and Reinstall a fresh copy of AH.

Remove and reinstall joystick drivers, and make sure they are the very latest versions.

Use w98 "File Checker" and "Registry Checker" utilities. Start > accessories > system tools > system information > tools tab up top. If you have corrupted files or Reg probs these utilities should allow you to repair it.

Thats it off the top of my head, Max.

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
Are these problems only encountered in AH or is your computer acting screwy all the time.  You probably want to run a virus scan on your system.  If that's not the problem then it sounds like you have a conflict going on.  Best starting point is to make sure you have DX 7.0a, and all the latest drivers.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

maximus13

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2000, 09:06:00 PM »
Umm ya I figured it out, it was the joy stick.... damn. New joystick again

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2000, 12:12:00 AM »
I thought I'd mention something here.  (Glad you found the problem.   )  You want v-sync on.  Turning it off often causes major problems with gunnery and bombing.  Not only that but you really aren't improving performance.  (Very complicated explaination neccesary to explain why, and I'm too lazy to type it all out.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
Stupid Question bloom.........
How do I find and confirm if v-sync is on??
I often read this forum to insure that I am running at mt max potential.  Also, being a computer rookie I find this forum is a great teacher

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
V-synch will always be on, unless you have turned it off.

V-synch is simply the normal synchronization of the rate the draw rate of the game with the draw rate of the monitor.  When the two are synchronized, each screen that is drawn will be shown on the monitor.  Most sets of drivers for modern video cards allow you to disable this synchronization for benchmarking purposes.  When you disable v-synch, your framerate number will go up, but you won't really see much more.  In addition, there will be frames drawn by the program that never get displayed on the monitor... you can just imagine the problems that can cause with gunnery and such.

In short, as long as you haven't messed with it, V-synch will always be enabled by default.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl