Author Topic: Bomber flight tips  (Read 617 times)

Offline Zerowacked

• Zinc Member
Bomber flight tips
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:42 AM »
I ran my second batch of sorties on an online arena last night, before work, and I was very impressed with the way things went down, barring a few things that are entirely my fault.

The one problem I had was using bombers. Part of the problem, I know, was that the runway ended, gave about 300 meters of bare ground, and went straight into a mountain side. I simply couldn't get any altitude to clear them and usually biffed it on my way out.

Suggestions to cure this problem with bombers? I usually try and use the Boston III. I don't know why, but it reminds me more of a fighter than a bomber. The B-26 and the Lancasters are all so big that I get them off the runway just to crash them into a bunch of trees, or worse.

Outside of that the experience was awesome. I used the Hurricane and the P-38 to strafe tanks trying to take a town between three points (held by three different teams, which was nifty).

Which begs the next question: Can the MG (cannon, as well) fire from a fighter take out a tank? I think I do pretty well at hitting the deck, gaining altitude, coming back around, rinse, and repeat--but I don't know if it had any effect. I got a few SYSTEM: Assist messages, but all I'm not sure if I'm the one that killed them.

Well, with that said, it was a very productive day. I got one kill, for sure, and I crippled two bombers before being taken down. I terrorized a Panzer tank line with MGs, cannons, bombs, and rockets; and I got some hands-on training in the art of fighting (see: running away from) multiple bogeys.

To sum it up:

1.) I need help taking off in bombers. Am sux.
2.) Can you neutralize tanks with a fighter in a strafing run?
3.) I'm very proud of my first kills.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Bomber flight tips
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:17:18 AM »
Originally posted by Zerowacked

1.) I need help taking off in bombers. Am sux.
2.) Can you neutralize tanks with a fighter in a strafing run?
3.) I'm very proud of my first kills.

In reverse order:

3.) Awesome!

2.) Yes and no. Yes, if you put enough rounds into a tank in a spot thats not so heavily armored to do enough damage to kill him. Phew, what a sentence :). No, because youre likely to run out of MG rounds before that happens. You getting assists clearly shows you have been doing damage to the tank, but not enough to kill it. Short answer to sum up the long winded one: Yes, but its not the most effective way.
Try nose mounted cannons like in a 110/Mossie or the higher caliber HMk2D (40mm tank buster) or opt for rockets/bombs. Every GV has its soft spot, where armor isnt as tight - maybe some of the GVers can jump in and help me out here....

1.) Take less fuel in bombers (50% is usually plenty - check the E6B on your clipboard for fuel range) and select the takeoff runway wisely. Preferable is one that doesnt have a hill or tree at its end :). Also, if you cant get off the ground, pop a notch of flaps towards the end of the runway (if you do it from the get go, it will add drag and your accelleration will be slower).
Heres a write up on level bombing.

Check out the Home of the Aces High Trainer Corps and Hammer's Net Aces for more info and tips on the game. And dont hesitate to contact the trainers if you have questions.

Welcome to Aces High :)!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:22:42 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Zerowacked

• Zinc Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:32:16 AM »
I hadn't even thought of reducing the fuel load, thanks!

Seeing that this is one of the few flight sims I've ever played, I don't know much about using flaps. Is the flap control analog (multiple integers of both up and down)? Or is it just up or down? Will flying without flaps be very detrimental to me (they're very confusing and I'd much prefer to avoid them altogether)?

Also: thanks a ton for the advice and the welcome! I read the write-up while I was still lurking, seeing if the game would be worth my time.. it seems a bit advanced, still, for me to hop into. For the moment I get as much altitude as possible and come right down on top of them with bombs and MGs.. but I highly doubt a B-26 can do a dive bomb.

Anyways! Thanks a bunch.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:01:16 AM »
Again, last first :).

Err, yes, a B26 wont be very partial to dive dombing. It didnt do it historically and for reasons. The planes structure just cant take the stress and Gs you would have to pull. You *might* see B26s dive bombing in the game, but thats considered rather lame by most people and its clearly a suicide thing. Youre likely to hit the ground before your bombs do.

As for level bombing.... it isnt half as complicated as it may seem :). Again feel free to contact the Trainers for help (practical, usually in the Training Arena!) - email us with your ingame name and times your available to trainers @ hitechcreations.com to schedule a session. I myself will be out of town over the weekend though.

Flaps:

As you can see, the flaps are an additional surface on the inner trailing edge of your wings. Lowering them will add additional lift to your wings, thus reducing your stall speed (minimum speed you need to stay in the air). But they also will add drag (make the surface that resists wind larger!) and thus cost you speed/accelleration.

Most planes have more then two positions for the flaps (= notches), some only have up or down. Q to lower one notch, W to raise one notch. Flaps can only be lowered below a certain speed (which differes for each plane and each notch of flap).

In bombers, you dont really need the flaps except maybe for takeoff a notch or two.
And for landing, as they lower your landing speed considerably and help you hold your nose high on touchdown.

In fighters, flap use is the same for takeoff/landing. You can also use them in a fight to help your instant turn (get around the corner tighter), but again you have to watch your speed loss. Some planes do not require a lot of flap "work", some do.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:48:44 AM »
A little hint about take offs in bombers.  Hop into the tower first and take a look around. You will be able to see if there are any trees, mountains, etc., in the way.  Choose a runway that is unobstructed.  Some times you may have to take off in the opposite direction of your intended route, but it beats crashing.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Zerowacked

• Zinc Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:50:03 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse
A little hint about take offs in bombers.  Hop into the tower first and take a look around. You will be able to see if there are any trees, mountains, etc., in the way.  Choose a runway that is unobstructed.  Some times you may have to take off in the opposite direction of your intended route, but it beats crashing.

Agreed! Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of it either.

Offline Bomber48

• Zinc Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:11:14 PM »
:huh  Just a note for bomber pilots.
1? In the new map/arena systems, haven't seen a single map where 25% fuel will not take you completely across arena and back, with plenty of loiter time.
2) I have done extensive testing on all bombers and found a simple truth about flaps on takeoff for larger bombers, ie Avro Lancs and 24's, 17's etc: if you have limited takeoff space, go ahead and put flaps all way up, that is, no flaps..repeat no flaps from the begginning of takeoff run. Made a chart and it shows liftoff and climb rate is increased almost 20percent with no flaps for all large bombers across the spectrum, bar none. Using flaps with a bomber on takeoff is fatal in enclosed hilly ares.

keeping these 2 simple facts in mind will greatly enhance your chances of a successfull takeoff in any environment.      Bomber 48

Offline flyboy97

• Zinc Member
bomber fligh tips
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
i have bin flying bombers since i started u haft to press the q butten twice
and the when u are nere the runways end pull up then u should not crass
good luck:aok

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »
What flyboy said.  

Flaps in buffs automatically get two notches applied when you spawn on the runway.  Press q to undo this before take off.  Stay on runway heading until you cross 300ft and drones join you.  Then you can turn and drones will follow.  Turn earlier and you run the risk of losing the drones as they fly straint on.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline flyboy97

• Zinc Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 09:19:57 AM »
:o

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: bomber fligh tips
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
Originally posted by flyboy97
i have bin flying bombers since i started u haft to press the q butten twice
and the when u are nere the runways end pull up then u should not crass
good luck:aok

FYI, the q key lowers flaps.  the w key rasies flaps.

hap

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bomber flight tips
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 11:24:37 AM »
Solar10: Only if you have "Auto Takeoff" enabled. They don't do that on their own.

As for bombers: B17, B24, and Lancaster. These planes you almost NEVER need to take more than 50% fuel. You RARELY ever need more than 25% (that gives you over 1 hour's flight time).

B26s hold less fuel, and as such you need 50% or 75% for the average sortie. Check the "E6B" option on the clipboard while in flight. Ju88s depends on your mission. Ki67s also depends on the mission. Arado Ar234s guzzle gas pretty fast, so it's up to you, but I always take 100% in them.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Bomber flight tips
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 11:25:54 AM »
Originally posted by Zerowacked
the runway ended, gave about 300 meters of bare ground, and went straight into a mountain side.
 Zero, usually there are egress routes out of base to the left or right of a mountain.  
The B-26 and the Lancasters are all so big that I get them off the runway just to crash them into a bunch of trees, or worse.

At any base, if autoclimb be enabled and your flight controllers calibrated in Windows and Aces High, all bombers will take-off on their own and gain altitude nicely.

I usually retract flaps before taking off.  Not always though.  Flaps give a nice bit of nose up that can be useful.

More useful however, is taking off with no flaps, and if a tree threatens your sortie, 1 tap on the q key will raise your plane's body.  You can feel the lift.

Regards,

hap