Author Topic: Energy vs Angle vs Turn?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Energy vs Angle vs Turn?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 08:01:41 AM »
Here are a couple of my older films that show Energy fighting aginst multiple enemies.  The key point in both is that I had to build a slight energy advantage in each instance before trying to kill them with an energy advantage.
A little 3v1 film from this morning. Before I turned film on, I had to get out from under all these guys, climb, and come back. Notice that once I get some separation on the spit16 that came in behind me, I was actually climbing in front of him. The higher you get, the better the 38 is against the spits.

Below 20K you cant expect to out zoom a near co speed spit 1k on your 6 (about 22k for spit5, 24k for spit9). Often (as in this case) they try to keep the nose down and close up separation. That little bit of difference in alt is enough vertical separation to out zoom them.

At the top of the zoom I deploy full flaps, and just hang on them long enough for the other 16 and the 51 to try to zoom me. This is the "flap hang" I always mention. I was sure none of them could make a stable shot when they topped out....the result, 3 bad guys stalling out below me.
The final rope, I chopped the throttle after I topped out. That was enough to delay the merge where I would have a shot, and the spit would be stalling.

I cut the film due to size, I had to chase the 51 all the way to the deck

film62_0000.ahf
P38J vs P38L and N1K

A engagment on a lone 38 quickly evolves to a 3vs1. Notice when I am being shot at that I try to show the shooter the slimmest profile that I can. It doesnt always work but this time it did. I quickly duck out of the 3v1. A combination of low-high enemies is a situation to avoid if possible.

There is a long boaring period where I am 'extending'. There were a couple things I wanted to accomplish before I re-engaged. First I wanted to gain some E on the N1k by leveling out after the initial dive. His plane will bleed off dive speed faster than the 38.

The 2nd thing was to wait until there was enough separation between the 38L and N1K so I could address them with a merge individually. When I turn, I first address the 38. My intention is only to maneuver enough to have a clean fly-by merge, because I must also have time to set up a good merge with the N1K. The N1K did fall for the vertical merge (covered in previous film) which is a trap I could not afford to capitalize on with the P38L in tow. Having limited options, with part bluff, and part deliberate positioning, I went into the rope zoom/flap hang (previously covered) waiting for either enemey to "blink" and break from the zoom.

One other side note. When I followed the 38 through is evasive spit-s you may notice I closed the throttles, thereby keeping a matching turn radius, and not inducing auto-retract flaps during a hard nose down turn (which can cause a nasty spin)

dragnbag2

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Energy vs Angle vs Turn?
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
I found it!

Thanks, Gunner, that's the one.

- oldman

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Energy vs Angle vs Turn?
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
I think I have an example of good E fighting, all stuff I learned from studying Murdr films. TY Murdr. I especially like the films with the mic commentary on them as the fight is taking place. These are the most useful. Some more of them would be way way cool. Hint hint! :)

I was low and slow in a spit v I think. There was a typical LA above me real hi and fast. I know how most LA guys fight, and since there was nobody anywhere around, I had plenty of time to think.

First thing I did was try to get some alt before he came after me, all the while making sure to keep enough speed for a reversal. The LA came down at me fast. I did a lead turn, I went up, did a flip flop over, took a shot and missed. He flew away typical LA style. I used this time to grab more alt, making sure I kept enough speed for a reversal.  He came after me again and I did the same thing again. Lead turn, pulled up, flip flop over and take a shot that I missed again. He flew away and I used this time to grab more alt. He came at me again. I did a lead turn, I pulled up, did a flip flop over, took a shot at him, and missed again. However, this time I had E to trade in for speed. He made the mistake of going down this time, so I traded my altitude E for speed. He was still faster than me, but I was now fast enough I could keep up with him after my last reversal that I had enough time to get guns on him. I got the kill.

It was a proud moment for me because this was my first fight that I actually used a well planed E maneuver, instead of my usual fly around and just try to shoot somebody technique. :lol And man, the fact that I beat an LA made it so sweet.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 01:55:14 PM by Clutz »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Energy vs Angle vs Turn?
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »
One can certainly begin an engagment as an energy fight and transition into an angles fight when it's advantageous to do so. Below is a link to a film where DoctorYo and I had been dueling. The fight began with me having the advantage of speed and altitude. Gradually, I pressed the fight until I had position to transition into the angles mode. DoctorYo is flying a SpitV and I'm in a P-38G.

Film

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.