Author Topic: martial arts  (Read 2323 times)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2006, 10:28:09 AM »
Practicing katas, etc... are good for physical conditioning and helping with reaction time. Martial arts can only make one a better fighter though if fighting is practiced. Skill can be learned but talent and instinct will almost always separate the losers and winners in a physical fight.

Offline ByeBye

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
martial arts
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
In the ultimate fighting, when there were no rules other than biting, the karate guys always got their arses handed to them with hardly even a fight.

One guy wore his white robe and the other guy grabbed the robe and used it to hold on to him while he beat the crap out of him.

That Gracie guy, who won a few of the UFC championships when there was not separate weight class, weighed onlly about 175 pounds and nobody could beat him. He was a greko-roman wrestler. Those guys were the ones that had the overall best chance because they knew how to grab onto the other guy get him on the ground and tie them in knots while beating the crap out of them.

The Karate guys never had a chance in those fights.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
Practicing katas, etc... are good for physical conditioning and helping with reaction time. Martial arts can only make one a better fighter though if fighting is practiced. Skill can be learned but talent and instinct will almost always separate the losers and winners in a physical fight.

Oh katas.

So few people that practise katas has a clue about what they are doing. You see them do the moves and some do them perfectly, but they just do the moves. The best way to see if someone has a clue about what he is doing is to watch his eyes and head. If you can see that he is looking at a virtual oponent and that him and his moves are infact trying to deal with that oponent then he is doing it correctly. So many people do the moves just to do the moves... you might aswell do a dance aor just wave your arms randomly around.

When teaching a kata you should always act as an oponent and explain to the students what the moves are there for... they are not there for you to look good.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
martial arts
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
Originally posted by ByeBye

That Gracie guy, who won a few of the UFC championships when there was not separate weight class, weighed onlly about 175 pounds and nobody could beat him. He was a greko-roman wrestler.

Gracie was a brazilina jiu-jitsu guy.  Not a wrestler.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »
who would win out of Bruce Lee and Incredible Hulk?

i favour hulk 8-1 but if he had trouble transforming at the moment of truth bruce would crush his windpipe with his little fingers.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2006, 11:58:06 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

i favour hulk 8-1 but if he had trouble transforming at the moment of truth bruce would crush his windpipe with his little fingers.

Since Bruce Lee whipped Chuck Norris I think it's obvious the Hulk would have his green bellybutton handed to him.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2006, 12:07:25 PM »
cant argue with that conclusion lukster

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2006, 12:44:16 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

no way is way.

bruce lee hands down.

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

storch

martial arts
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2006, 07:13:11 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
that is correct.  if you are participating for stretching, balance , exercise then any dojo will do.  

if you want to learn to fight then you must train where fighting occurs.  our students who choose to participate in saturday morning fighting must have attended at least two classes during the previous week and then they qualify to participate for kumite.  during kumite the students spar continuosly sometimes 1 v 1 other times 1 v multiples.  they must spar against people larger or smaller, male or female.  no respect is given to size or gender.  

kumite is full contact and blood flows. there is an off duty paramedic at every session.  

saturday kumite is where we allow neighborhood kids to attend and fight if they want to.  it is our most popular class.  

the kids that earn belts in our dojo are well prepared to meet the realities that they may encounter on the streets.  

the only rule we have about kumite is that a student must attain his or her yellow belt before being invited to participate.

our dojo is located in a tough working class town and in a tough neighborhood within that town.  most of our students are from that neighborhood.  most of these kids already kick bellybutton when they arrive.  some of our students come from more affluent communities but are the children of parents from that town.  those parents want their sons and daughters to be somewhat tougher than the kids they go to school with.

anyway in case anyone is interested here's the website for the international HQ

http://www.sanseigoju.com

http://www.houseofdragonsdojo.com/home.htm
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:22:26 AM by storch »

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2006, 07:30:17 AM »
I used to practice judo.Have orange belt( which would be something like 3rd grade).It's a lot of fun if you have time and will.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »
You an instructor in this Storch?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
anyone recall the embarassment of ali fighting the jap martial artist when he was on the comeback trail?   I think ali beat the guy in the first round and was never even touched.

nelson...you should watch the early ulimate fighting matches... they are on DVD I think.  I recall that they were bar fights with no real rules... The guy watching with me was a martial artist and he kept saying that this guy or that should use the pressure point of death or the sleeper or the spitting cobra nut twister or whatever...  

Truth was.. those guys losing had many years wearing the pajamas.. in the end... they now teach these guys boxing and wrestling.   except this one big flabby looking indian guy who they didn't teach anything because he was too busy kicking the crap out of everyone.

I haven't seen that many matches but I recognize the fights as being barroom... course.. now they are getting more like wrestling matches since they have rounds and such.

If they have enough rules then.... it will be a pajama party martial arts demo.

lazs
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:55:00 AM by lazs2 »

storch

martial arts
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2006, 12:19:10 PM »
no angus I was a participant up until about a year ago, fighting the 16-18 yr olds got tough for this old guy

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2006, 03:40:30 PM »
Another video for the ones who think BJJ sucks :D

Aikido master with 200-0 wins against BJJ purple belt
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
nelson...you should watch the early ulimate fighting matches... they are on DVD I think.  I recall that they were bar fights with no real rules... The guy watching with me was a martial artist and he kept saying that this guy or that should use the pressure point of death or the sleeper or the spitting cobra nut twister or whatever...  

Actually the first couple UFCs were basically an infomercial for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Royce Gracie tapped & choked out a whole bunch of bar fighters. No death touches or anything like that, just good jiu-jitsu against guys with no real training.