Author Topic: Energy Management, TA Protocol  (Read 327 times)

Offline Optiker

• Zinc Member
Energy Management, TA Protocol
« on: November 13, 2006, 11:10:14 AM »
I'm trying to learn correct flap application to optimize turn (loop) in F6F. Study of Badboys EM charts would indicate a 6G turn from speeds above corner velocity would yield the highest degree/second turn, or you get around the circle (larger radius) quickly. At corner velocity (minimum turn radius, maximum degrees/second), the 6G and stall limit meet. From this point to the Ps = 0 point (best sustained turn), the speed will drop in a nose to horizon (no gain/loss in altitude) to a maximum sustained turn rate.

OK, how do I get my plane there?

Do I hit WEP and pull until just above blackout?

When (if) I can't get blackout, do I start applying flaps?

How many notches of flaps? In a sustained turner, All of them?

On another subject, in the TA it's against the rules to fire on someone w/o permission. Being a noob, I sometimes get excited while duelling and when I see what appears to be a guns solution, pull the trigger. Bad form! Is it possible to put my weapons on safe? I'd hate to lose whatever reflexive response I may have by thinking "alright, now it's OK/Not OK to shoot" and get into a situation in the MA and freeze.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:20:50 AM »
if you're fighting with them in the TA, it's usually ok to shoot as well, unless they ask you not to ;)

as for turning, you don't always need to be at a certain speed, simply because it's impossible. just pull on the stick! you'll slow down, but as your turn rate decreases, your turn radius decreases, which is actually more useful in an all out turnfight.

don't think about it too much, just turn. put flaps out when you feel you need to (flaps don't do much to the turn rate, but greatly reduce turning circle, which is a good thing. they do slow you down and lose energy though, so keep tabs on them) one or two notches of flaps can be put down in the F6F pretty much ASAP, as they really help stability and turn rate as you come into the turn with speed. once you get slower, you can add more flaps to turn tighter.

what you need to learn is when to use them, and get practise with them ;)

also, you must make sure your stall limiter is OFF. it's harder to fly with it off yes, but you will be able to fly your plane on the edge of the stall.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »
As most TA regulars know I'm pretty tight on the rules. Too tight!! IMO I'm as tight on the rules as others who could care less are loose on them.
It evens out :)

If I am maneuvering with someone I figure thats a sign your engaged and it would be OK to shoot.
Now if I'm doing my laps and someone starts following me and I don't maneuver against them, in that situatioin I think you should ask and get permission to fire.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 01:59:52 PM »
I sometimes am - and often have people following around while im flying or even teaching. Thats not against the rules and I have no problem with it. But its NOT a permission to fire.

But if i agreed on fighting with someone, anything goes, even if I myself hold fire.

Optiker, usually if you ask beforehand, it is no problem at all. If you are worried, one thing you can do is fire off all guns after takeoff untill you are out of bullets. That way you are sure not to cause any issues.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
If you "check 6" someone in the TA, and they "check 6" you back, that constitutes permission to fire.  

Open a duel with that, and there's no problem.

Oh, and generally speaking if you can pull blackout G's with flaps deployed, you have too much flap.  If you can pull tunnel vision G's, with flaps deployed, your good to go.  If you cant pull enough G's for tunnel vision, you might want to deploy a notch.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:49:36 PM by Murdr »