Author Topic: Something is wrong with the Baltic map  (Read 831 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Something is wrong with the Baltic map
« on: November 04, 2001, 11:34:00 PM »
I've got 11-12 disco's on it. I believe 1 was an actual disco, the other ones were all crashes or freezes. I had a grand total of 9 disco's last tour. The entire tour, I played for prolly 80 hours or so.
I've got less than 10 hours in this tour (a lot less than 10 hours) and I already have more disco's, lockups, freezes than I had ALL of last month?

I'm no computer expert. I know my way around them OK, but I'm definately no guru. However, I DO know that if a programs behavior changes, that was the result of something ELSE changing. Games don't just lock up for the hell of it.

Aces High was running normally last month. This month, on the new map, I am having TONS of problems.

So, what changed?

EDIT: I just worked up how much time per "disco" for last tour and this tour. Last tour, 8.4 HOURS between disconnects (which includes lock-ups, CTD's {not sure if I had any last tour though}). This tour, 44 MINUTES between disconnects.

Again... I changed NOTHING on my system. Didn't install any new software, any new drivers, any DirectX, NOTHING. Since I started having problems I've been trying to solve it by loading different drivers and such, nothing has solved it so far.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Urchin ]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Sounds like pure coincedence.  For me it has been the net causing issues lately.

Go get www.pingplotter.com  and start running traces to alt.hitechcreations.com and beta.hitechcreations.com.  If it's all clean and green with no packet loss, then it's time to suspect other things.  If you have recently messed with video card drivers, I'd look there first.

The last week or two the Internet has been quite a mess, and that has caused me some problems.  However, I have not seen any hard lockups.

I'm not discounting the possibility that something is up with the Baltic map... just pointing out that I have seen a lot more other things causing problems lately, so you might want to look at those issues first.  :)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
No.. my "disconnects" have all been of the crash to desktop/lockup variety.  The 'Net can't cause those kinds of problems as far as I am aware.  I didn't start fiddling with the video drivers until AFTER I started getting lockups/crashes, so that is not the cause either.

I deleted the baltic map, and attempted to download it again.  My computer starts to download the map with the auto-update, and then locks up.  Locked up 3 times now, have to try it again since the file is not available for download in the downloads section.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
That's strange indeed.  If it's locking up while downloading, before you even start the game engine with the map, I doubt it's a problem with the map.

Sounds like you have a larger hardware problem going on there.  It's possible you got a corrupt download that is causing problems as well.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
It was only locking up when I attempted to d/l it off the auto update from the main arena.  I d/led it with no problems at all from the training arena auto update.

I then proceeded to the MA, where I locked up 3 times in the space of 40 minutes.

Something is wrong here.  Undoubtedly it is some fault of my computer, I worked Tech Support for a while I and know that most games are pretty stable.

I just don't understand how, with the new tour, I am locking up and crashing practically every 10 minutes.  It didn't start with the new version, it started with the new TOUR.  In fact, it started with the new MAP.  It played just fine the first day of the tour ( the day we were on either Mindano or Uterus still).

Something changed.  That is obvious from the fact that Aces High went from being pretty stable to crashing and freezing every 10 minutes.  As far as I know ONLY one thing changed.  That would be the map we are playing on.  So how is it possible that merely changing the map would cause all of these problems?  I can't even see how just changing the map would cause some problem that was laying dormant in my computer to suddenly crop up.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
I agree, it doesn't seem like the map could cause all of these issues.  Especially considering that I don't see any other posts kicking around with the same issue.

That's why I suspect something else has gone wrong.  It could be hadware going bad, or something else.  Could it be heat?  Maybe things are getting too hot or you have a fan going?  Don't rule out software either.  It could be that AH has somehow become corrupted.  Or Direct X.  Or your video drivers.  Start by troubleshooting for heat (since that's easy, just pop the side off your case and run it with a desk fan going full tilt pointed at it), then I'd work on Direct X re-install, a video driver re-install (let me know what card you have and what OS and I'll recommend a version for you), and then a remove and re-download and re-install of AH.  Back up your settings before you rip out AH altogether though so you can reproduce them in the freshly installed version.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
Logged in, played for a solid 90 minutes on Ndisles map with narry a burp.  I hope it doesn't get reset anytime soon.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
Logged in again tonight, map was ndisles still.  Played for at least 2 and a half hours after dinner, no problems at all...

If it was a NON map related issue, I think I'd still be crashing and locking up at least 2 times an hour, like I do on baltic...

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Yep, certainly is starting to sound like something related to that map.

When I get home tonight, I'll copy that baltic map out of my AH maps folder and put it up on my server so you can download a "good" copy.  That may fix it.  Drop me a note at sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca tonight so I don't forget.  I'll send you a link back you can use to make sure you have a "good" copy of the map.  At least that way we can rule out a defective download.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
Dropped you a note, check your mail.  Thanks.

Offline RAPIER

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
Urchin
Try looking at my solution I posted on 11/8.
I was locking up and had to reboot forever. The problem I found as did NHRufneck, was with our sound setting.  I changed that and have not had a lock-up/freeze up since 10/12.  It worked for me after I tried more memory, new video card, putting fan on PC, ect. ect. Nothing worked!
Check it out since it is easy to do and can be put back at any time if it doesnt work.
Good Luck.
NHRapier