Author Topic: F4U-1A skin request  (Read 456 times)

Offline whels

• Silver Member
F4U-1A skin request
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:36:25 PM »
now that we have the -1A . id like to request a skin for Papy Boyington's
VMF 214, Lulubelle
http://www.acepilots.com/usmc_boyington3.html

Thanks

Whels

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1A skin request
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
I plan on revising all the skins I started, so don't worry, I'm DEFINITELY planning to start looking at the 1A. Don't expect the lightning progress I had on the F4U-1/1D, tho. There I had templates to work on, and now I'll probably have to start from scratch. :(

Although as a note, don't expect that to be accepted. There's no evidence Boyington ever ACTUALLY flew that plane in combat.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Target2

• Silver Member
F4U-1A skin request
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:49 PM »
AFAIK that famous photo was just that, a photo. If you look at the flags, they are put on in a hap hazard kind of way. He never flew that plane in combat. VMF-214 didn't have any assigned planes, there are records of aircraft he did fly though.
71 Eagle Squadron

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1A skin request
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »
From what I understand VF-17 was one of only a VERY small handful of land-based Corsair squadrons to have individual aircraft.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
F4U-1A skin request
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »
Well, at least of the squadrons that worked out of the Solomons early in the war.  I'd guess that later on most squadrons were able to manage aircraft in that manner.  I know that Walsh had his own F4U-4 on Oki.  Maybe some of the guys in the Palaus and Marshalls had 'em?