Author Topic: 11:45 is Disco time  (Read 262 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
11:45 is Disco time
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:32 AM »
Had this problem a while back. then it seemed to go away for a while. Now it seems to be back again

Exact same time every night 11:45
I loose connection to host when playing AH

In looking in my events viewer I see that there is an error message at that time that says

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date:  11/15/2006
Time:  11:45:42 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: GOMEZ1
Description:
Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address ***.***. *.*** on the Network Card with network address 000021D9B2E7.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Prior to the error I am seeing a bunch of warnings that

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
Date:  11/15/2006
Time:  11:45:42 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: GOMEZ1
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000021D9B2E7.  The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 79 00 00 00               y...    
"

Any clues?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »
It looks like your ISP is resetting your dynamic IP address at the same time every night. This is normal with an ISP that uses a DHCP (or dynamic) IP address scheme.

The only answer is to contact your ISP and request a Static IP address (usually costs more), or don't fly during that time.

Good Luck.

CptA

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:24:15 AM »
I guess you're using a router with DHCP enabled? You can change the lease times, ie: 1 day, 8 days... It sounds maybe lik the scope of addresses available may be too few - like the scope has only a range of 2 addresses to lease and there are three machines trying to renew leases. Is this by chance a wireless router? If no security is enabled or someone has hacked it then maybe there are people hijacking your connection wirelessly. Your wireless signal can easily go 200' or so. There's a house diagonally across the street from me that has no security and is wide open. I could piggyback that any time if I wanted. Hard to diagnose your problem remotely other than its definitely a DHCP problem - but I think you already knew that!:D

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:27:50 AM »
I guess it could be the ISP too like CptA said. I don't have any experience with ISP's leasing addresses via DHCP.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:28:31 AM »
Your ISP is refreshing the lease on the IP address. Nothing unusual about that and it can cause a disco depending on how fast they can get the DHCP server to respond.

If the DHCP server response takes too long, a disco will happen. There is nothing that can really be done about it, unless your ISP changes its release/refresh time in the server.

It is the nature of dynamic IP addresses and probably for about 50% of the discos that happen in a game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »
Well that bites.

Damn resets cost me 5 landed kills each of last couple nights as I was fixing to RTB right when it happend each time

No wireless router here
Im running a LINKSYS Etherfast BEFSR41

Was actually hoping something was wrong so I could fix it LOL

Thanks for the help though
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »
Dred, if you have a Linksys router, there should actually be two DHCP events happening.  Your Linksys should get its address via DHCP from your ISP, then your computer should get its address via DHCP from the Linksys.  If your PC is getting a publicly routable IP address, then your router/firewall may not be doing the firewall piece very well.  From the pattern of the *s you posted, your PC is probably getting a 192.168.1.xxx address, which is a private address coming from the Linksys.

There are two ways you can fix it.

1. Go into the admin web page on the Linksys and set the DHCP lease time to something really high.  It should be able to go to at least a week.

or

2. Go into the settings for your computer's network card and give it a static address.  Make sure the address is in the same subnet as the Linksys internal interface.  The computer will get the same address every time it boots and there will be no more DHCP disconnects.