Author Topic: Can you stand after being tased?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Can you stand after being tased?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 11:49:18 PM »
I gotta say it depends on the person. I've never been tazed (Thank God) but I've been hit with electric fences and cattle prods while working cattle. Those are usually short zaps under a second kinda like grabbing a spark plug wire. You can recover from those pretty quick.

I can't imagine getting a long zap of a couple seconds much less multiple ones and then be expected to stand and walk. They should have just hog tied him.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 07:24:59 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
Quote of the day :
Using the word liberal hippie make you look like a conservative cretin.

unless of course your subject is in fact a dirty liberal hippie putting on a show for his fellow collegians.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
I wonder if I get moded if I cut n' paste my own text.  :eek:  ;)

"Use of force to physically control someone, well that's what "arrest" is. Use of or threat of pain to control someone when no one is in danger, I think that is immoral.

He wasn't threatening anyone he was just disobeying. He didn't have to stand up, they could have picked him up.  Yes it would be a pain in the ass, but there you have itI think tasers have just made cops lazier. If not that, than physically incapable people are becoming cops because they can rely on the taser...maybe both. And with the reliance on the weapon to force people to comply comes a problem of dehumanization...

"The officers used the "drive stun" setting in the Taser"

...right, just like a cattle prod."

- Thrawn...Jenius.

Yes and if they hurt the kid while dragging him out because he wanted to act like my 4 year old in a store and throw a fit they would be responsible for that to.

He would not have been given any pain had he stood up and complied with instructions.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »
he was waiting for the media cameras to show up.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
I don't even get into the whole political thing and I have to say that the kid got what he deserved. He was probably some spoiled little rich boy who thought the cops wouldn't touch him:t  Then when they did his perfect world fell apart. I also feel he didn't want to be arrested so he thought by laying there they might just...go away? I learned a long time ago when a man with a gun(tazer) ask you to do something, you do it.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 08:08:04 AM »
That's quite the fantasy world you have going there SuperDud.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 08:13:12 AM »
That's quite the fantasy world you have going there SuperDud.

did you watch the video.  The kid is putting on a show plain and simple.

Offline M36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 08:14:13 AM »
Once the fish hooks are in, an MD or nurse must remove them.. although there might have been an occasion or two the darts were pulled out by accident, which looks like it hurts really bad.

We pulled them out ourselves and let paramedics deal with the results. Letting a hospital do it is a waste of time at the hospital. It is not a must, it is up to the individuals dept.
“Honesty is like a good horse, it’ll work anyplace you hook it”

Ben Johnson  1917-1996

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 08:16:22 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
did you watch the video.  The kid is putting on a show plain and simple.

I was referring to, "He was probably some spoiled little rich boy who thought the cops wouldn't touch him Then when they did his perfect world fell apart.   I also feel he didn't want to be arrested so he thought by laying there they might just...go away?".

Dud, has know ideal what the guys upbring was like, or his motivations.  He's playing make-believe.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »
I was referring to, "He was probably some spoiled little rich boy who thought the cops wouldn't touch him Then when they did his perfect world fell apart.   I also feel he didn't want to be arrested so he thought by laying there they might just...go away?".

Dud, has know ideal what the guys upbring was like, or his motivations.  He's playing make-believe.

He's also making an assumption based on past experiences.  Based on my own experiences he's probably right.

If this where a fantasy world the kid would have been injected at a very young age with a special organism that enables him to have mind control abilities.  In wich case he could have avoided all of this by waving his hand and saying "you don't need to see my ID".  That to me is fantasy.;)

Offline Ripper29

• Nickel Member
Re: Can you stand after being tased?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:06 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Ok so don't flame me because I'm at least asking around before formulating an opinion about this....

But, after being tased can you stand up and walk within a minute or so?

As soon as the current stops you regain full mobility.  This is why it's important to gain control of the subject prior to stopping the current.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
What a crybaby. I've never been tased but I've been bit with high voltage and knocked on my bellybutton a few times.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 09:40:42 AM »
Whether or not he was putting on a show, there's something I haven't seen mentioned here, and it's the circumstances of the tazing.

He was in the library, they asked him to show his ID, he didn't have it, so they asked him to leave.  He was on his way out walking to the door, the campus cops intercepted him and grabbed his arm.  He said "Let go of my arm" and shrugged them off (still walking to the exit) and then they tazed him.

Is it appropriate to electroshock people who are complying with the order to leave?  

Second, when watching the video, at one point a student asks one of the officers for his badge number, and the officer threatens to taze him if he doesn't leave.  It's inappropriate for a police officer to threaten someone with physical harm for asking for a badge number, in fact I think that it's technically considered a form of assault.

Whether or not he's putting on a show or not (Like Michael J Fox was putting on a show?) the fact is that he was tazed while complying and that the officer threatened someone for making a legal request.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 09:46:54 AM »
The video didn't show what happened before he got tased and if you interfere with police preforming their duties you risk being arrested.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 09:59:19 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Whether or not he was putting on a show, there's something I haven't seen mentioned here, and it's the circumstances of the tazing.

He was in the library, they asked him to show his ID, he didn't have it, so they asked him to leave.  He was on his way out walking to the door, the campus cops intercepted him and grabbed his arm.  He said "Let go of my arm" and shrugged them off (still walking to the exit) and then they tazed him.

When the video opened, I heard a young man yelling "don't touch me" followed shortly by the taser. We don't know and didn't see what happened beforehand. (Why would a librarian call the cops on a student who forgot his ID but said he'd leave?)

After the first jolt, THEN I heard him go on about how he said he would leave, abuse of power, Patriot Act, come witness the violence inherent in the system, I'm being repressed, I didn't vote for you, and watery tarts flinging scimitars about is no basis for a system of Government.

As for the badge number thing, the cop was kinda busy and the way that crowd was forming I don't blame him for getting nasty. Mob mentality.