Author Topic: "new" hog (D) vs pony.....  (Read 370 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"new" hog (D) vs pony.....
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »
I kept trying to check out the new ack but everytime I upped my "hog with presents" somebody intervened in the delivery process. I was trying to scoot out along the hill sides but the pony came on down. The late war E fighters present the biggest problem for the hog in the sense that they can control the fight. While the hog can "reload" it's E quickly in the vertical it simply doesnt have the climb, acceleration or raw top speed to actually ever gain the advantage. Skat and I talked briefly afterward and the reverse near end was intentional. He was trying to scrape me off against the hill (he goes on one side and I the other).....from a "tactics" view the only real change was the use of a lag roll to reorient toward the end.

The biggest change seems to be in both the torque modeling and control surface authority at low speeds. I have a clip vs a spit (allied) where I literally hung the bird out trying ro force it to the right. I was grumbling a bit afterward and he actually came back on 200 and commented he could see me "lock up" and knew he had me. Since I tend to love the hog at 80 MPH hung out in "unusual attitude" it probably effects me more then most who fly the hog.

http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/newDhogvspony.ahf

*** at edit ***

The clip has a few warps near the end. Skat said I was rock solid and my connect was good. It didnt really effect the fight either way. I think that this is the Hi-Res reaching a point it overtaxed my system.....but the closeups at the end (and in other fights) are/were amazing. I couldnt run hi-Res before but so far is99% good this time....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:37:59 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:59:47 AM »
Yesterday and last evening, there was a substantial number of MA regulars coming to the TA to get some time in the new F4U and try the others as well. By then, I already had several hours in the F4U-1A testing it for speed, climb, acceleration and turn radius.

After playing with the Corsair for a while, most reverted to their favorite MA ride for a few fights.

One fellow swung onto the tail of my -1A in his La-7 and gave me a check six. I broke into him and the fight was on. About 5 minutes and 1,000 bullet holes later, he wanted to know how I was able to get on his six and stay there forever... "I kill F4Us all the time in the MA!"

That's pretty typical of the reaction one gets when someone runs into an F4U piloted by someone who knows how to use its strengths and minimize its weaknesses. One should never assume that the F4U isn't piloted by an experienced Corsair driver.

Most MA players do not realize how good the F4Us are in a turn fight. In addition, careful E management will allow the F4Us to hang with aircraft that are generally superior in the vertical. Indeed, few fighters can transition from the energy game to the angles game as easily and quickly as the Corsairs can.

Watching your film, you did a bang up job of avoiding attacks until relative E states were equalized. Once that occured, the P-51 was badly over-matched. You did a great job of sucking his E out, getting the overshoot and rolling in behind. This is one of those films that should be watched over and over again by guys wanting to learn how to defend against the BnZ attack.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
wow:).....

That might be the best compliment I've ever received specific to AH....especially given the source....Thank You.

Obviously the tool will only be as good as the guy wielding it. I've always felt that the hog gives me the capability to engage any single con regardless of plane type or initial E state. Doesnt mean I'll always be the guy flying away...but it offers the ability to engage with a reasonable chance for a favorable outcome.

The 109K is really the only con that I "fear" in the MA.....as much for the average pilot quality as the birds vertical performance. Given the changes the spits will be a bit tougher however I think....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
2nd clip....
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:49:45 PM »
This is a bit similiar with regard to B&Z defense (-4 hog vs a 152) however the 152 driver flies a very conservative fight (this is 4-5 minutes in). Normally I'd continue to try and keep the fight high but with other cons I try and take his pass down....the idea is that he's pulling G's looking for a shot and hopefully E state converges enough for a shot....by the time I "find him" he's 600 and extending so it didnt work....but is a good move to have. I added this more for the "spitty defense"...he's a bit to close for the break turn (and I think the hog has lost a bit there) so this is a classic scissors defense converting to an offenesive rolling scissors as soon as he's "out of sync". Again the biggest difference is the use of a lag displacement roll to saddle up since I dont trust the hog to be quite as nimble as before. The 152 ruins my plans at the end right as I lay the 1st pings on the spit:cry :( ....I was kind of hoping he'd be to fast (I had zero clue where he actually was but knew the spitty had to go for me to have any chance)....since he ran into me it was obviously a tough set up on his end.

http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/hogvs152.ahf