Author Topic: Collision Avoidance  (Read 447 times)

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
Collision Avoidance
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:29:05 PM »
I know collisions have been a hot topic for some time.  Personally, I think the way AH deals with it stinks to the point of canceling simply because one plane flies off with a kill and one goes down.  In real life both would go down.  No kill.  It's a draw.  I know...I know...this has already been beat to a pulp.

So, thats why I'm here.  To learn the best way to avoid them.  Here is what is happening to me:  I am flying around looking for an opponent, find one and turn toward it to engage, the opponent sees me and turns into me.  We converge.  We fire.  We get closer.  I pull up at last second.  I get a collision message.  I go down minus a wing.  Opponent flies off. (with KILL?!?) :rolleyes:

Next time I try to pull up a little sooner.  Get cooler and landing gear shot up.

I read somewhere to nose it over at about 200.  I try that.  I get my engine shot out and a pilot wound to boot.

Here is the problem:  to avoid a head on, if you break first, you just took your guns off of the target and exposed either the upper or lower side of your plane to your opponents guns at close range.

What is the best course of action if you find yourself closing head on?

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:05:46 PM »
First, collisions are only 2-way if both players see a collision on their computer because of internet lag. You collided; he didn't see collision. He can't be penalized for avoiding a collision, when only you saw it. By the same token, you should not be penalized if he saw a collision and you didn't. Works both ways...

A simple explanation, and possible best way to avoid the frustration of collisions, is to only be concerned with what you see and do.

Two simple techniques to avoid a collision are:

1. Don't fly head-on to a target. Maintain some offset and dive under at some angle that is hard for the other guy to anticipate where you will be to fill that area with bullets for you to fly through. Do it sooner, rather than later. What you see for distance may not be what he sees for distance. At the closing speeds we're talking about here, things happen pretty fast.

2. If you're already close, head on and closing fast, try a barrel roll up and around him as he flies by. You will be tracking a very difficult path for anyone to hit, especially since you initiated the move, and he is responding and behind the "understanding curve" to do anything to get a gun solution.

Try those two and you'll get a little smile of satisfaction on your face instead of the frustration of collisions.

If you want to see the timing of these two simple methods in action, ask a trainer to show you in the training arena or post a time and day and I'll show you. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:12:57 PM by Rolex »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:03 PM »
what I didnt know is that the other guy can ram you on your frontend and you take damage. So if he "hits" you you'll absorb damage even though you might not even realize that he did in fact hit you....had my tail clipped off earlier today....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:36:06 PM »
actually, if a lead turn is done correctly, they don't have a gun solution on you.

it is a matter of timing.

if it's timed correctly, you are already 1/2 way into your turn and well on the way to an easy kill before they have let off the trigger.

it takes practice.  

ask a good "stick" to go to the DA or TA with you and film a few merges with them.

watch what they do, and try to duplicate it.

JUST A LITTLE BIT OF practice and ho/rams will be a thing of the past for you.

I probably die to a HO 5-6 times a month, and am ho'd hundrends upon hundreds.  (if not thousands)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Collision Avoidance
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
Originally posted by 47Hooker
.......  I am flying around looking for an opponent, find one and turn toward it to engage, the opponent sees me and turns into me.  We converge.  We fire.  We get closer.  I pull up at last second.  I get a collision message.  I go down minus a wing.......  

The above part of the snipped quote is your main problem, don't fly head-on into another plane!! Like Lute said, time a lead turn, yes your giving up a shot by taking your guns off the enemy, but the shot your "giving up" is a crapshoot. Some times you win, some times you go down missing a wing.

Instead, at 1000 out make a move !!  As your breaking, he's just starting to shoot, and in most cases will miss because he's thinking your just going to keep coming at him like every other HOin dweeb. As you make a move... barrel roll, or breaking into a lead turn high and right, or what ever... your ahead in the turn by starting a 1000 yards earlier than the HO dweeb, which means you get around quicker, and get ahead in the game of angles.

Thats the biggest complaint behind HO's, its a no skill crap shoot. Granted, SOME people make a living and practice that one and only shot, but a good pilot can still beat even them.

Don't give in to the DARK side.... DON"T HO !!!

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »
Originally posted by humble
what I didnt know is that the other guy can ram you on your frontend and you take damage. So if he "hits" you you'll absorb damage even though you might not even realize that he did in fact hit you....had my tail clipped off earlier today....

I wish we could have no delay or lag.  Then collisions will be perfect.  Damage from bullets would be perfect.  I don't think my wish will come true any time soon.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 02:11:43 AM »
Stop HOing
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:04:43 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
actually, if a lead turn is done correctly, they don't have a gun solution on you.

bingo

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Collision Avoidance
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »
Never take a HO shot that the other guy is willing to accept unless you are desperate. As you converge, start thinking about how to get the shot AFTER you merge.

What was suggested above regarding lead turning and diving under his nose are valid tacticks. For good turn fighters another nice move is what I call rudder flick.

Keep the enemy a little to the side and roll 90 degrees. Then apply full opposite rudder. This will make you slide-climb and loose some speed (dont turn yet). It will also be a confusing shot to your enemy as your nose is not pointing toward your movement and he's not sure if you are about to turn infront of his nose. Just before he blows by - Stop the slide, reverse rudder to get your nose into the turn and start pulling. You already got yourself an advantage by rolling before the merge saving a valuble second and slowed down so your circle is smaller (make sure you are left with enough speed though).

Works very well for spits and 109. Just be aware that you give up your E and comit to a turn fight which the other side might not accept if he's fast enough.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs