Author Topic: I've tried Everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.  (Read 1317 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
I've tried Everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2000, 02:56:00 AM »
I would suspect either heat (power supply fan running slowly?) or a problem with your Ensoniq sound card.  You didn't mention DX in your post.  Do you have DX7a?  If not, make SURE you get it.  I've seen this simple update solve MANY problems.

I once took apart a Gateway G6 233 PII.  There was no fan on the processor, just a big heatsink.  If this is the case with your system fan/heatsink combos for PII Slot 1 start at about $15.  If running with the case off helps, I'd try one.  (You can always take it back.)

If it's not DX7a, then I really point the finger at a heat problem.  (BTW:  Hold the power button in for 4 seconds instead of unplugging your computer.  ATX boards have a "soft" power switch.  Holding the switch in for 4 seconds will turn it off for sure.)

Edit: OOPS   I see now you said you have DX7a.  Probably heat related then....

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

[This message has been edited by bloom25 (edited 08-17-2000).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
Wardog posted this in the Bug Reports forum.  It may apply to you.  Good Luck!

Ive had the same problem since v1.03 and up!
Screen locks up & sound loops over & over. Have to cold boot to get out.
I did every thing from changing back to old drivers ( TNT Hercules ) to reinstalling DX. some days i could fly 3 hours strait & not lock up,some days would lockup after 5 minutes.

So i went back 3 or 4 versions with the Herc TNT drivers and found that my card was O/C by about 25mhz. I put all hardware setting back to default speeds and have had no problems since.

Now i had an Diamond Banshee card and i could O/C that as well with the Diamond software. So, does the Diamond TNT2 card alow you to overclock the card? If so,have you? Suggest you look and see then knock all setting to default for memory & bus clock speeds.

BTW the Banshee card came outa the factor O/C. Loved that card.

Dog out...

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Duckster

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks bloom,

You're right about my computer just having a heat sink.  I have run it with the case off, but still ran the game for max 30 minutes, somtimes not even 5.  I think the video drivers might be the culprit.  I'll try going back a few versions and see what happens.  Don't you think other games would respond in a similar way if it was a heat problem?  It is possible for one game to be more 'delicate' than another?

Thanks again.

Duckster

Duckster

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
I went back a few versions of my video card but I can't find any evidence of it being overclocked.  By that I mean I don't have a settings menu that allows me to custmize the clock speed of the card.  Ho hum...

Duckster

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2000, 09:24:00 AM »
Duckster do you have a hadware monitor on your M/B if so thn check and see if the power supply is not dropping voltages mine does and it stutters but does lock up  im running a PIII 800EB so could be difference. Are running win98se or just win 98? What video card are you running is it agp or not?

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Duckster

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
My Bios won't let me view that information.  I'm running win98 1st edition but with all the critical updates and bug patches found on windows update.  My video card is the STB (now 3dfx, huh) Velocity 4400 AGB retail (tnt).

Duckster

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
That is the original TNT is it not? you might try to get a Voodoo 2 from somewhere to help it out it might be maxed out in this game. Also  you might think about getting a newer vid card Best Data TNT2 can be had for around 75 bucks (onsale.com had them). But heat does look like it is the main problem. you might try if you can to assign a IRQ to your vid card I know it says it dont need one but I found on older cards it helps, do this in bios. Also try moving your cards around especially if you have a PCI and ISA slot close to each other they share the same resources. I allways try to put the modem all the way to the bottom or as far away from the pci slots as possible. If you have cable now remove the modem its not needed any more. These are some old fixes that worked long ago on older systems your is kinda border line now it sounds so I think some may help. Another thing if you had the modem in the computer when you installed win98 then you might go to 3com's web site and see if you can find the remove file they have USRobotics leaves little traces of its files in the registry that need to be removed, what happens is that win98 tries to use the 2 modems when only one is installed, if you have the store bought and not oem you have this file on CD. Make sure if you try this you remove the modem and reboot atleast once with it out if you plan to put it back in. Trying to think of everything that can lock up a computer theres alot of things Ill try again if none of this helps.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Duckster

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2000, 12:05:00 PM »
Yes, that is the original tnt.  Still, I'm getting 23-32 fps online in 800 x 600 with it.  I hope it's maxxed out, I don't want the thing working less than it should be, just like any video card.  Anyways, I've given up, I will await the public beta of ww2online and see what happens there.  Thanks for your efforts all.

Cheers,

Duckster

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2000, 01:13:00 PM »
Duckster.....

ABIT BH6 MB stability......

Unfortunately, not much you can do about it.

Unpredictable behavior in many of our lab tests resulting in system lock-ups with no apparent pattern behind them.

Installed Intel 440BX-2's in same systems with all the same peripherals and all problems on every test system disappeared.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
Badger

Duckster

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2000, 02:05:00 PM »
As far as I know, the motherboard is an atx intel OEM LX(!!) for Gateway.  Also, this is a huge full tower case...

Duckster

[This message has been edited by Duckster (edited 08-22-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »

Originally posted by Duckster:
What I did find out...is that an ABIT BH6 <my MB> is picky about high IRQ request items in some slots. So, for that MB, they suggest slot 2&3 for the modem and other high IRQ stuff.

Sorry duckster, based upon this in a previous message, I thought you were using an ABIT motherboard, not an Intel.  My apologies.

Regards,
Badger