Author Topic: couple of quick questions  (Read 226 times)

Offline miraj

• Copper Member
couple of quick questions
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:36:55 PM »
Is it unusual to fly for a couple of hours , and NOT get any kills, then all of a sudden you get 2 or 3 in a row !?

I might go all evening , and NOTHING, then log on the next night and  boom 2 or 3 or 4 all at once.

Does that happen to everyone else?

Another question

How often and at what speed , do you use flaps in a dogfight.

Everytime , sometimes , never??

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:54:25 PM »
Look at your map before you up and find where the action is and jump right in.  judge your energy so that you get at least two passes on your victim before committing to a turn fight.  

Use of flaps depends on what result you want.  keep your E or turn tighter.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:28:29 PM »
Yep. There are good nights and there are bad nights. Nothing strange about that. It not only depends on your personal state, but also on the rest of the arena... what people are online, what fights are going on.....

If I have one of the really bad nights in the Main Arenas and feel i get frustrated, I usually head to DA with someone or TA (depending on aspirin supply handy ;)). I guess with the new setup you could also try another time period for a change.

Flaps: they add additional lift to your wing and keep your nose high at low speeds, lower your stall speed but add also drag to the plane. In other words: they help you fly slower but cost you speed (Energy). This is something you have to weight against each other when deploying flaps in a fight - is the additional lift/instand turn rate worth the loss of speed and sustained turn.

How much flaps you have to use depends very much on the plane youre flying and the opponent that youre fighting.

When im in a Hurricane, i try to keep flaps up as much as possible - i dont really need the tighter turn against most opponents and they do cost me a lot  of speed i cant afford. Only when im fighting other Hurris or A6Ms (and sometimes against Spits) do I use flaps extensively. I DO use them to help me over the top in slow loops and sometimes to tighten turn when diving throttle idle in a SplitS onto someones tail.

When im flying a F4U, ill use flaps a lot earlier and a lot more. F4Us also have more then one notch of flaps and so called "combat flaps" that deploy at pretty fast speeds already. Their turn performance in close fight benefits a lot of the use of flaps.

I always use full flaps on landing, to lower my landing speed and also keep the nose up on touchdown.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
What she said!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"