Author Topic: Can anyone explain these pictures?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Can anyone explain these pictures?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
i thought lens flair also , but sluggs says his friend saw the lights and then took the picture, i saw something like that years ago, the lights were pulsing upwards not fixed beams.

What you are describing is northern lights, which is what I thought this was when I first saw it.  Basically jigsaw is calling my friend a liar.  I have no reason to doubt what my friend said he saw.  Yes the lens is dirty.

Offline mandingo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://sportsbybrooks.com/MP169.html
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 10:36:53 AM »
they are clearly a UFO's carbon monoxite trails left behind after atmospheric entry...  i have studied these things in great depth, mein fuhrer.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »
Originally posted by sluggish
What you are describing is northern lights, which is what I thought this was when I first saw it.  Basically jigsaw is calling my friend a liar.  I have no reason to doubt what my friend said he saw.  Yes the lens is dirty.

The "streaks" are not dirt or flair.  The round images are flair but the "streaks" are not, they are some form of cloud and you can see the striations and feathering farther to the right.  They could be mountain wave clouds or possibly a series of contrails formed on an airway.  A cross wind would push the cons away from the airway centerline causing the series of parallel streaks.  In either case you can see the clouds starting to dissipate or feather the farther to the right they move.  Looks like the picture was taken in a generally northerly direction as the prevailing winds at altitude are out of the west.

Give me a location where the picture was taken and I can look at the topography and airways in the vicinity.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 12:19:18 PM »
Basically jigsaw is calling my friend a liar.

Yeh, that's it. My only reason for replying was to impugn someone whose photographic skills obviously dwarf those of Ansel Adams.
This picture could only be an image of the invasion fleet from the Galactic Confederacy.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
It looks like they are either contrails or a multiple exposure (6?) as 2 contrails are blown by fast upper level winds.

In the far lower left corner, you can see a series of bright dots within the contrail.  That would make sense if there was an airplane with strobe lights on making the contrail.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline mandingo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://sportsbybrooks.com/MP169.html
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
Yeh, that's it. My only reason for replying was to impugn someone whose photographic skills obviously dwarf those of Ansel Adams.
This picture could only be an image of the invasion fleet from the Galactic Confederacy.

+1

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »
Looks like the image was taken through glass, such as a window, the 3 stripes on the left are nearly perfect and identical to each other... I think those are reflections of something behind the photographer.

If we can assume that your buddy was taking a picture of something in the sky then I would say that I agree with the person above who said that the clouds are vapor trails from aircraft on a high altitude airway, and they are being blown off the center by the wind aloft... This explains the expansion and dispersion of the trails further to the right.

Those three on the left are artifacts of something though, those three are not in the sky.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 03:34:40 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004

Give me a location where the picture was taken and I can look at the topography and airways in the vicinity.

Owosso Michigan facing north.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »
Originally posted by eagl

In the far lower left corner, you can see a series of bright dots within the contrail.  That would make sense if there was an airplane with strobe lights on making the contrail.

Yes I saw that too and couldn't explain it but if jigsaw is correct and it's a 30 second exposure your explaination works for me.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Can anyone explain these pictures?
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 03:48:16 PM »

So here's what I think.  They are contrails created old to new from right to left.  The strobe of the aircraft (or one of the aircrafts) is visible in the far left contrail.  If I'm correct, isn't it quite a coincidence that all these contrails would be so perfectly aligned facing due north?

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Re: Re: Can anyone explain these pictures?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 04:40:18 PM »
So here's what I think.  They are contrails created old to new from right to left.  The strobe of the aircraft (or one of the aircrafts) is visible in the far left contrail.  If I'm correct, isn't it quite a coincidence that all these contrails would be so perfectly aligned facing due north?

Not if they're on a north/south jetway, besides, you have no idea if the picture is oriented due North, it's just in a "northerly direction".  I hadn't noticed the strobe in the far left trail, these are definitely contrails.  The spacing also makes sense as ATC will sequence and space traffic.  Also, notice the "missing" 4th trail?  Could just be a gap in traffic flow.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »
looks like contrails to me, without a doubt: -

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Re: Can anyone explain these pictures?
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »
A friend of mine took these from his balcony.  They were taken from a tripod with a time exposure (it was getting dark, you can see the stars beginning to elongate).  The gamma was increased in one to bring out the detail.  He said they looked like contrails...

They could be the same picture.  I don't know.

OMG they are CHEMTRTRAILS!!!!
The govt is poisoning us all!!!
:noid
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 08:21:42 PM »
Originally posted by Ball
looks like contrails to me, without a doubt: -

oooo clever...   what type of picture conversion is that???
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »
Residue from the end of the Age of Aquarius.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous