Author Topic: Feline Diabetes  (Read 372 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Feline Diabetes
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »
I have 2 cats. If they had an ailment, that I could treat without breaking the bank, or require nursemaid treatment every hour, I would do it. If they were suffering I would have to put them down.

But...diabetes is'nt like the cat was mauled and crippled by a pair of german shepards (like one other cat we had) and suffering. We tried to keep him comfortable, but decided it was best for him to have him put to sleep.

If you love it...treat it.

~AoM~

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Feline Diabetes
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »
Try it for a while. My view is you try to take care of the pet as best you can to where you can afford it and the pet still has a quality of life. Once the pet has declined and is no longer healthy and is obviously in distress it's time to end it's suffering.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Feline Diabetes
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:09 PM »
Diabetes in a cat is a no win situation.  Best thing to do is to put it down now instead of dropping all the cash over a year or two.  I know I am a hearless ba$tard but growing up around livestock and farm animals you learn to never get really attached to a pet.  To many things can go wrong no matter what you do.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Feline Diabetes
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »
My best friend had a diabetic cat. She lived to be 16 years old and was diagnosed when she was 10 I think. Other than being overweight, she was a happy normal cat.

They'd give her a shot in the scruff of her neck every evening with her dinner. When they'd go out of town I'd go do it for them. It wasn't any big deal, really. I don't know about the financial aspect of caring for her, though. Never asked.