Author Topic: New Video card Problems  (Read 784 times)

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« on: September 27, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Help.  I'v installed my new Geforce2 mx400 Video Card and it's not installing properly.  I'v been turned down by Gateway (were i got my computer) and Circut City (were i got the VC) for tech support.  If anyone knows how to help please let me know.
BeachS
483rd Tactical Fighter/Bomber Group

Strong and Proud

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Beach, send me an email with your problem. I had problems with the Invida card I put in 4 months ago and Dell walked write thru it. maybe I could help.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
What's the problem you are having beach?

You should have removed the drivers for the old video card and/or switched to "standard VGA" mode.  At this point you shutdown the system and switch the cards.  Now you boot back up and install the drivers after windows detects the card.

Here's how to switch to standard VGA mode:

Right click empty part of desktop > properties > settings tab > advanced button > adapter tab > change button > select the "choose from a list" option > pick "show all hardware" > on the left scroll down and select microsoft > now on the right pick "standard VGA" and apply the changes.  (Ignore any warnings.)  Reboot and then after rebooting (things will look very UGLY) shut down and switch the card.  (MAKE SURE you unplug the computer before working inside it.  ;) )

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2001, 12:21:00 AM »
appenently my old video card made by voodoo wont let me uninstall old drivers.  so i can not install new drivers for my new card.  If anyone has replaced a voodoo video card with a nvidia geforce let me know how u did it.  THanks again
BeachS

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2001, 04:14:00 PM »
I replaced a voodoo 3 3000 with a geforce 2 gts/pro.  You need to go to the standard vga driver and then remove all of the old drivers as well as the registry entries.  I'm not even sure if I have all the steps I used.....ok, found the article.  

Step-by-step guide to removing all traces of "Voodoo", "3dfx" and "Glide" from the registry:
You might want to print this out for reference:

1. Open the add/remove programs section and remove any 3DFX items.
2. Open display properties and go to the settings tab/advanced button/adapter tab/change button/display a list/show all hardware/standard display types/Standard Display Adapter (VGA)
3. Hit next and say YES to the warning that pops up.
4. Hit next-finish-apply-close and restart when prompted.

This finishes the first part. Next we need to run regedit when the system comes back up and remove ANY references to 3DFX, Glide, and VooDoo. To do this do the following:

1. Open regedit by going: Start/run and type 'regedit' in the open box (no drive letters)
2. In regedit, open the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software' folder and delete the '3DFX interactive' folder.
3. Then open the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software' folder and if you see a '3DFX interactive' folder, delete this one as well.
4. Then click on EDIT from the menu bar at the top of the registry editor and click on 'Find'
5. Now, type in '3DFX' and hit 'Find Next'.
6. When it stop searching the registry hit the Delete key and say yes when it asks you if you are sure.
7. Then hit F3 to do a find next.
8. It is important that you keep repeating this pattern each time it stops (Delete, Yes, F3). Delete every thing it stops on, no matter what it is. However, do not delete anything but the first thing it stops on when it halts its search or you could delete too much. Let the registry editor search for each item you want to delete and this should prevent major problems.
9. When regedit says: 'Finished searching through the registry', close it down and open it back up and repeat steps 4 through 8.

Reg edit will not find everything on the first try so you will have to do steps 4-9 several times. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for the words 'Glide' and 'Voodoo' as well.

Once you have done these you should be done with the registry removal part of this, the last part that remains is to remove the driver files themselves. To do that, do the following:

1. Open windows explorer by right clicking the 'My Computer' icon and selecting 'Explore'.
2. Click on 'View' from the menu choices at the top and select either 'Options' or 'Folder options' depending on if you have Internet Explorer 3.x or 4.X installed (Win 98 comes with IE 4.x, 95 with IE 3.x)
3. Select the View tab if necessary and make sure that the 'Show all files' section is checked and that the 'Hide file extensions for known file types' box is Unchecked.
4. Then hit OK to apply the changes.
5. Now click on Tools from this same menu and go to Find-files or folders.
6. In this box, the 'Look in' section needs to say C:\ (or what ever your windows directory is in) and the Include subfolders checkbox is checked.
7. Then type in the named box: 3dfx*.* and hit find now.
· Delete any files in the x:\windows\ ; x:\windows\system\ ; x:\windows\inf ; x:\windows\inf\other\ ; x:\windows\help directories. (where x:\ is the Drive the windows folder is located in).
· Also delete the 3DFX folder found under C:\program files
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the following as well: Glide*.* and Voodoo*.*

This should finish removal of all V3 drivers and registry entries. At this point if you have ever owned a Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo II, or Voodoo Banshee from another company, I would also recommend calling them and having them walk you through the same for their cards as well BEFORE re-installing the new drivers. If you do not, you may have to go through this process again to remove the remaining problems. Also download the Delv.inf file.

Right click on this file and select install and this will complete the removal of any Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo II drivers and registry entries. This does not need to be applied if you had the Voodoo Banshee cards as the Delv.inf file is only for the Voodoo 1 & 2 cards.

Once you are done with all this, simply re-install the new drivers and the problem should be gone! Hope this helps... I removed a v3 3500 and did it this way...and have NO problems whatsoever !! this will save u from reinstalling windows !

Thanks to Smeghead and 3dfx for their detailed help.

Note: Editing the registry can be tricky, if in doubt, call the 3dfx tech support line:

Originally posted by Beach:
appenently my old video card made by voodoo wont let me uninstall old drivers.  so i can not install new drivers for my new card.  If anyone has replaced a voodoo video card with a nvidia geforce let me know how u did it.  THanks again
BeachS

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: CRASH ]

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
Whow Crash thanks.  This is exactly the help i need. I will try this tomarrow and let u know how it went.  THANKS again <S>
BeachS

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 03:05:00 AM »
Step-by-step guide to removing all traces of "Voodoo", "3dfx" and "Glide" from the registry:

2. Open display properties and go to the settings tab/advanced button/adapter tab/change button/display a list/show all hardware/standard display types/Standard Display Adapter (VGA)

This finishes the first part. Next we need to run regedit when the system comes back up and remove ANY references to 3DFX, Glide, and VooDoo. To do this do the following:

Crash, i cant get past the display a list part of step 2, or actually is passes that but no place to go from there, I dont see any "show all hardware". any ideas?
BeachS

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
Your OS may look a little different than the one this is written for.  The idea is that your trying to change your display to standard vga so it's not using the currently loaded voodoo driver.  Can you post a screen shot of where your stuck?  Get to the point that your stuck at, hit print screen,go to ur email program, put the cursor where u want the picture and hit ctl v,  and email it to me at pete177@aol.com.  I have to admit, I'm no computer expert, I'm runnin' win98 and I think this article is written for win98.  Should still work anyway for you though. What OS are you runnin? Also, when you get to the registry edit part you have to be sure of what your doing or you can really screw up your 'puter.  If you have a friend who really knows this stuff it would be better to have him follow the steps with you.  

Crash, i cant get past the display a list part of step 2, or actually is passes that but no place to go from there, I dont see any "show all hardware". any ideas?
BeachS

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: CRASH ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
Crash,

Thanks for the info on how to remove the Voodoo stuff. It seems my voodoo 3 3000 got hexed the other day and I had to get another card.  :(

I just followed you instructions and am now running my new nvidia GeForce2 MX400. So far so good. Not a dramatic increase in FPS at highest definition but there is some.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2001, 11:48:00 PM »
Well at least someone is getting help from my problem.  Maybe i will give it up.  cant even get into 108 anyway. keep crashing to desktop. tired of trying to make it all come together.
BeachS

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
If you bought the card at circuit city why wont they provide tech support?  What brand is the card?  will they provide tech support, have you called them?  If you can't get help then I would take your 'puter to circuit city and pay to have them install it.  Give them the article so they know that they have to clear out the old drivers and registry entries.  

CRASH

Well at least someone is getting help from my problem.  Maybe i will give it up.  cant even get into 108 anyway. keep crashing to desktop. tired of trying to make it all come together.
BeachS

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Your welcome mav, that article's from: http://www.guru3d.com/

CRASH

Originally posted by Maverick:
Crash,

Thanks for the info on how to remove the Voodoo stuff. It seems my voodoo 3 3000 got hexed the other day and I had to get another card.   :(

I just followed you instructions and am now running my new nvidia GeForce2 MX400. So far so good. Not a dramatic increase in FPS at highest definition but there is some.

Mav

Offline Beach

• Zinc Member
New Video card Problems
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
I tried Circut City they said they dont have a tech department.  tryed Voodoo (old card)tech they only have a e-mail address (no response from me 5 or so emails).  tryed PNY (new card) they have a automation system that hangs up on u if it cant answer problem.
BUT.  I have one last shot.  My friend that works at intell is going to take a shot at it.
BTW i heard voodoo was recently bought out by nvidia, anyone know about that?
BeachS

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Beach ]