Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 36367 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2006, 10:38:02 PM »
Interesting that with all the whining going on, that it was a bunch of 'furballers' who along with others took the first base.  Stang of all people set up the mishun.

The only issue I see with it is numbers.  Rooks got a lot of people very fast after this and had 40 more then Knits and 30 more then Bish when I and some others bounced to Knits.

Interesting that most of the whining seemed to be about folks essentially not wanting to fight.

I like it so far.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2006, 10:38:49 PM »
This seems to have good and bad sides.

The good side is HTC found a way to get the "toolshedders" and "furballers" together and work in one area. Lots of things to be done in one confined area.

The bad side is, what happens when 8 sets of Lancs come in and kill the hangars, fun is over, and we're right back to square one.

So here is my question.. what is the difference between confining the fights to one area on a big map, or just having smaller maps and let people do what they want?

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2006, 10:41:52 PM »
Greetings,

In addition, the CVs are mobile bases - this would provide a way to end run a static front line - or establish a 'beachead' behind enemy lines.

As I look at the maps, a capture approved distance or 35 miles would drive axis of advance and many 'choke' points.

Regards,

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Interesting that with all the whining going on, that it was a bunch of 'furballers' who along with others took the first base.  Stang of all people set up the mishun.

The only issue I see with it is numbers.  Rooks got a lot of people very fast after this and had 40 more then Knits and 30 more then Bish when I and some others bounced to Knits.

Interesting that most of the whining seemed to be about folks essentially not wanting to fight.

I like it so far.

Agreed on all points. At 11:45, it's roughly 45 bish, 70 knits, and 100 rooks. HT, it's really time to do something about numbers. If you're going to keep this system in place (which seemed to work pretty well while numbers were balanced), then you need to address what is arguably one of the biggest recurring issues in the game. That's my only concern at this point.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2006, 10:53:36 PM »
Interesting that with all the whining going on.......

i dont see whining i just see loads of questions on what this is trying to solve?

what is the issue this is trying to fix?
why is it on a small map you can fight for 20bases but on a large only 2?

yes, it might need tweaking, but to be fair i hope it never happens again.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:05 PM »
Stang of all people set up the mishun.

Stang r teh 1337 mishun planna!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2006, 11:10:15 PM »
Just logged off.
And to be fair to each side.
I can see where it want to be tweaked a bit.
Not alot. but just a bit

Overall I like the concept though.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:21 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
i dont see whining i just see loads of questions on what this is trying to solve?

what is the issue this is trying to fix?
why is it on a small map you can fight for 20bases but on a large only 2?

yes, it might need tweaking, but to be fair i hope it never happens again.

What it solves is that players are now in a position where they have to interact with other players.  Base takers can do their thing and ACM guys are right there too.

As mentioned it was one of the 'furball' types who set up the first capture.   The fights were intense, people were focused on the 'mishun' and got it done.

The guys who lose out are the milk runners and the attack the undefended base guys.    Now they also have to fight.

So the furball guys showed they could take bases, and the toolshedders had to fight to get in.  Yeah there were a lot of LA7s and all kinds of HO'ing going on, but everyone was fighting, which is the point I think
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Agreed on all points. At 11:45, it's roughly 45 bish, 70 knits, and 100 rooks. HT, it's really time to do something about numbers. If you're going to keep this system in place (which seemed to work pretty well while numbers were balanced), then you need to address what is arguably one of the biggest recurring issues in the game. That's my only concern at this point.

hitech fixed this issue ages ago.... its only the mini-MA's that have caused it to come back the ENY limitor was "good" it did work after time..... however it needs to be changed to a server balancer

if knits have too many players in blue, they can ONLY join orange.

50% country per LW arena (-/+5%?)

why cant we have just 1 LW arena with big maps, and the EW and MW with small maps (to match the numbers)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
Flew in Orange from 12:00PM to 10:00PM and gave it a good try...  I was kinda bored really nothing really happened alllllll day untill rooks got a #'s advantage and they were still rolling the small #'s side (BISH) when I left.  

There is no thinking involved with this system, I'm not saying there was a ton with the other way either but more than this allows for..

This looks like a very simplistic version of the idea I posted here.. Just that in my version some bases let you only capture 1 other base and others would let you have a chance to capture multiple bases and thus they would be more valuable to have, though the bases that only let you go 1 at a time might eventually lead to a base deaper in NME territory.  This would go along with your current theme but allow for a bit more of a stratigic side to game play with advantagius bases and bottle necks.  

On another issue, I decided to try helping my country by doing what I do best and making deep strike bombing runs on Rook City, AAA, and grunt training...
 Usually I go in at 20K or higher because normally a few guys will see me coming in and try to stop me or at least try to shoot me down on the way out.  With this new set up we about died of boredom. Everybody was so focused on those few bases they didn't even see us going for the city that was 4 sectors into their territory.  We flew in bombed it down to 13% and flew back out without a scrach.  We then took KI-67's to the AAA factory that was much closer to the furball and got it down to 50% and flew out.    

By this point we were wondering why we were going to 20K so the next flight we took B-17's in at 10K and at least 2 sectors into NME territory, flew our 3 flights right over an NME base and dropped troop training to 9%.  1 spit 16 did come up on the return flight directly over that same base, I shot him down and he never came back.  

With the old system some people would be looking around for people possibly trying to sneak a base or what ever but now the focus is so narrow that the rest of the big map is wasted in my opinion.

Over all I think this system has possibilities but really needs some tweaking and a bit more thought put into it. :)  

Oh and BTW I went offline and the map I am working on now has a spider web of blue capture order lines alllll over it..      If you do end op with some type of system like this, would the map creators have controll over the placement of the capturable base lines?  Might be able to come up with some interesting ways of implemnting this.

EDIT: something like this?   I just quickly put some lines on this but you get the idea, if I this system were implemented I would put a bit more thought into placement much like Vehicle spawns.     You would still have a fairly good idea what to expect and keep people togeather but losens the iron grip a bit :)  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:22:09 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2006, 12:13:59 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
hitech fixed this issue ages ago.... its only the mini-MA's that have caused it to come back the ENY limitor was "good" it did work after time..... however it needs to be changed to a server balancer

if knits have too many players in blue, they can ONLY join orange.

50% country per LW arena (-/+5%?)

why cant we have just 1 LW arena with big maps, and the EW and MW with small maps (to match the numbers)

I've never seen numbers "fixed". There's been balance in the separate MAs on some nights, so I have to disagree with blaming the mini MAs. HT's reluctance to do anything about numbers is, IMO, a bigger factor than the smaller arena setup, but it's still mostly about people who refuse to play the game without some sort of advantage.  

There's plenty of action even on a smaller map in a smaller arena if people want it. The big maps, from the very first to the very last, have only served to benefit those who don't actually want to fight other people. There is no reason for them, and the current setup illustrates that point as well as anything.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline LTARghst

• Copper Member
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:32 AM »
IMHO Dont like it 2 Thumbs down!

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2006, 12:51:35 AM »
I think CV's should be the exception to the capture rule - make it so they can take any base at any time otherwise they are useless. I think ports should be able to be taken at any time too.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2006, 01:18:57 AM »
Its a war of attrition.
I have no time for it.

This presently concludes my donated time to game and healthy enviroment development.

Disclaimer:
The opinion above was expressed souly by the poster and not those of the bbs hen house.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2006, 01:19:10 AM »
I kept finding myself bringing up the map while in flight,,,and scanning our front line bases (A habit ive had since warbirds 8 years ago)
watching for base flashing without darbar for possible NOE raids against us, It's a blast if you can sniff one out before they arrive and scramble a squad of defenders to stop em,,,,,,then I kept remembering I didnt need to do that anymore

I also enjoy capturing a field using NOE Bf110s, etc. etc or with a CV using Cruiser and LVTs, or our Rat Patrol Mission taking a town down with M16s and M3's,,,,cant do those either anymore

CV's are actualy useless pretty much now?
Will take hours to get to the Capture base, and once you get it close,,,it will be sunk quickly (well i supose thats how it was before too) ;)

Lets say my squad wants to do a large Bomber run, if we hit an uncapturable  field,,,,,its kinda pointless
If we hit the Hangers on the capturable field we will be called the greifers
for messin up the furball,,

I respect the idea of trying to force the battles,,,and get the sides to have to fight for the base they want, but i think there needs to be at least a few
more capturble bases along the front lines that you have to keep an eye on

Somtimes you have to re-arange the furniture in your house a few times before you get it so the whole family likes it, So I realize this is just a test.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:29:24 AM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th