Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35670 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »
hell no - there will be no greater whine than "9/13... the great arena change" :rofl

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
I'm kinda surprised the anti hoard crowd hasn't been more vocal.
That's because the anti-horde crowd dislikes the horde only beacuse it avoids the enemy horde... in this setup the two will collide.  That's all we ever asked for.  Action on a grand scale.

:aok

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
i dont see how a furballer wouldnt like this since when a horde meets a horde it eventually turns into a furball on the deck especially if theres a stalemate..

Shhhhhhh! ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by richard_rd
I just logged into LW orange to look at the new system and i don't like it as is because:

1.  It looks like each side only has one base on each front to capture. This means as a knight we only have 1 rook base or one bish base that is capturable.

2. This should definetely filter all the activity to those two bases (1 rook & 1 bish), but IMHO it will make capturing the base too long and drawn out.   I could see several hours or days go by without the map changing much. First 6 hours rooks capture 3 knight bases and push into knight territory, next 7 hours knights  win those same 3 bases back and we are back to where we started 15 hours later.

3. I think this could work but not taken to this much of an extreem.  Instead of giving us only one capturable base on each frot, maybe 3 or 4 options per front.
This will still funnel the action to certain spots on the map but there will be some options to the strategic part of the game as to which of the 3 or 4 bases you want to put more effort into capturing. And the map fronts have more of a chance of changing over time.

Havent been there yet but if what you say is true. Its a good thing.

Now instead of simply steamrolling a base maybe people will be forced to use some imagination which is severly lacking in most basecapture "missuns" and develop a strategy for basetaking.

I already have a few ideas on how to do it.
I dont see it as a problem
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »
I played it a few hours..was weak at first with every country hording the others one capturable base..than it got interesting....the base they captured was now the one capturable base for the other side :rofl

thus they were forced to defend and the steamroller halted very quickly. After that it looked like a stalemate..was great to see hi alt porkers and groups of buffs otw to nuke each others hangars and field...the interesting part was the porkers droppin their ord and going after easier pray (low buffs). It was a free for all in the end :aok

Sad to say the gamers will find a way around it but so far so good :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »
open up that test arena cap to 450 for a few days....give it a work out!:rofl

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
I played it a few hours..was weak at first with every country hording the others one capturable base..than it got interesting....the base they captured was now the one capturable base for the other side :rofl

thus they were forced to defend and the steamroller halted very quickly. After that it looked like a stalemate..was great to see hi alt porkers and groups of buffs otw to nuke each others hangars and field...the interesting part was the porkers droppin their ord and going after easier pray (low buffs). It was a free for all in the end :aok

Sad to say the gamers will find a way around it but so far so good :)

LOL perfect. reminds me of the days of old, where people took bases because it was the best one to take or because they had just lost it, rather than going for the undefended one.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
. Capturing a base is also much more difficult and can be made almost impossible with some mediocre organized defence.

Nonsense.
read my last post.

Maybe  more difficult because now basecapture missions will require real planning, and execution

Which IMO is a few hundred steps up from. "Lets take 100 people. Blow the crap out of everything and rush troops in. Preferably where there arent many if any defenders."
Which is how about 99% of missions are planned

Which takes alll the tactical skill of using an entire can of raid to kill one ant
;)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 04:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
I'm kinda surprised the anti hoard crowd hasn't been more vocal.

No its the horde warrior crowd thats gonna do the most whining on this one

You know. the ones that prefer to have a billion to one advantage LOL
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2006, 04:49:06 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Which IMO is a few hundred steps up from. "Lets take 100 people. Blow the crap out of everything and rush troops in. Preferably where there arent many if any defenders."
Which is how about 99% of missions are planned

Which takes alll the tactical skill of using an entire can of raid to kill one ant
;)

:rofl  its true though, and its been going on for so long that most dont know any better or different.  :rofl

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
No strategic options open to players or squads.

No feights to draw off enemy forces prior to a real attack.

No flanking attacks. No pushes along one side of the map vs others.

No multiple fronts vs one country or another. Two "static" fronts that will press back and forth as one country or another has the numbers. WWI trench warfare.

No need for intelligence or communication or even coordination if you don't want it. Follow thy Blue Rat Line. You Will Fight Here. Period.

All of above applies only when we assume that such things existed before the change. However, over the years I have realized that no group of people in any of the three countries are that intelligent. The only such effort I've ever experienced on any kind of reliable scale was the late RJO - the days when multiple Rook squadrons actually flew under a single chain of command. All the rest were just mingling around with little Napolean's sending out orders which noone ever listened to anyway. :D

* There was no strategic option in the first place. It was always horde or be horded.

* There was no feight. It was always 'go milkrun undefended bases and say that you were feinting, when really all you were doing was just avoiding enemy opposition altogether'

* There was no such thing as flanking attack. People will attack anywhere, everywhere, as long as there weren't any defenders.

* There was no "front". There was always a certain part where the enemy horde drove in like a shaft, and another part where our horde drives into the enemy lands like a shaft. It was a contest of who drives in deeper unopposed, until one side finally crumbles under pressure and decides to finally defend something.

* Don't even get me started with 'intelligent communication'. The only sign of intelligence I could measure was how funny the jokes were.

My 2cents.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »
problem I see is that from one captured field to the next.....you know where the fights moving, and in what order.

Maybe have a 'spider web' of possible next captures...keeps some element of surprise in the game.

And for the earlier comment about capturing rear bases unrealistic...ever hear of "market garden"?

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2006, 06:26:19 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
All of above applies only when we assume that such things existed before the change. However, over the years I have realized that no group of people in any of the three countries are that intelligent. The only such effort I've ever experienced on any kind of reliable scale was the late RJO - the days when multiple Rook squadrons actually flew under a single chain of command. All the rest were just mingling around with little Napolean's sending out orders which noone ever listened to anyway. :D

* There was no strategic option in the first place. It was always horde or be horded.

* There was no feight. It was always 'go milkrun undefended bases and say that you were feinting, when really all you were doing was just avoiding enemy opposition altogether'

* There was no such thing as flanking attack. People will attack anywhere, everywhere, as long as there weren't any defenders.

* There was no "front". There was always a certain part where the enemy horde drove in like a shaft, and another part where our horde drives into the enemy lands like a shaft. It was a contest of who drives in deeper unopposed, until one side finally crumbles under pressure and decides to finally defend something.

* Don't even get me started with 'intelligent communication'. The only sign of intelligence I could measure was how funny the jokes were.

My 2cents.
Well said.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 06:29:28 PM »
I think it sounds like a good idea because it will "encourage" the Hordes to meet and do battle.

maybee I missed something but isn't still possible for the 2 bigger sides to roll the weak side? but now they gotta take turns?(one side may have to defend the weak side to prevent capture.. that would be funny)

you can still NOE and tactically take out vhs and FHS or troopers of adjoining bases(or any base) you just can't capture them until they come up in the queue right?

sounds like everything is kinda still there but it encourages the idea of aircombat
because of the current captureable target effect...

shame they have to resort to this to encourage aircombat in a game called "Aces High" but if everybody wanted a good hard fought battle there wouldn't be all those games with cheatcodes.. (wth is the point of spending 50 bux for a game and then typing some command so you cant loose?)

I can't wait to see it ..I think it sounds like a good idea

to the HT guys for working on stuff ... maybee theres some growing pains
..but you never know what to expect when you get home..lol

as long as we still get guns, explosions, and airplanes I'M IN!

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »
If it stays, I can see the furballing purist not liking it at all. Sooner or later the war winners are going to realize that 16k buff missions to close the neighborhood is the way to take a base.  A perfect situation for the high alt pickers, all kinds of targets inbound below you. But what furballer will climb to 16k to keep a field open, leave alone fly 1.5 sectors to continue the fight?