Author Topic: 109 suggestions  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 11:10:16 PM »
Originally posted by porkfrog
Fire all your guns at same time

made me think of that Steppinwolf song...

"Fire all of your guns at once, and EXPLODE into spaaaaaace!!!"

I LIKE SMOKIN LIGHTNIN

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 06:06:43 AM »
short convergence and hold fire to < 200

and if you turn fight a 109 in a crowd - expect to die more than you live
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 07:27:28 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
expect to die more than you live

...er....what's so unusual about that?

- oldman (just asking)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »
I just pulled my convergence back to 250 on the 30mm and 400 on the MG in my 109 K4 and just landed a 4 kill sortie with 30mm ammo to spare.

Woo! haha

I'm pretty new and have never flown the K4 much before.... and when i did, had no sucess with it.

I must say... the K4 is disgustingly awesome at 20k! I don't know if it's the beer talking or what...but WOW, it tore everything up at that alt.

After a couple days of practice with the 30mm, you should be getting down to using a few of rounds per target with the 109. Great for your hit % if you give a **** about that! haha

I still have much to learn, but the K4 may well give my old Dora a run for it's money....
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 10:24:20 AM »
In R/L yes, that's absolutely true but I've seen discussions on the boards where people have argued AH doesn't model that (i.e., vertical convergence) while others argue it does. Personally, I've tried out the target and not seen appreciable difference with drop due to convergence, scatter yes, drop minimal. That aside, and assuming AH does model the drop, you would logically determine that C/L guns should be set at longer range. The additional "loft" relative to the A/C C/L would equate to less lead required (or built-in lead if you prefer) and the gun grouping would provide minimal scatter.

maybe i'm just a moron (which im ok with=) but i dont understand most of what you said here. what's C/L and A/C C/L?
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
109 suggestions
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »
Originally posted by porkfrog
In R/L yes, that's absolutely true but I've seen discussions on the boards where people have argued AH doesn't model that (i.e., vertical convergence) while others argue it does. Personally, I've tried out the target and not seen appreciable difference with drop due to convergence, scatter yes, drop minimal. That aside, and assuming AH does model the drop, you would logically determine that C/L guns should be set at longer range. The additional "loft" relative to the A/C C/L would equate to less lead required (or built-in lead if you prefer) and the gun grouping would provide minimal scatter.

maybe i'm just a moron (which im ok with=) but i dont understand most of what you said here. what's C/L and A/C C/L?

Sorry again porkfrog.  Lots of lingo and acronyms in aviation.  A/C is just short for aircraft and C/L is centerline.  For aircraft the C/L is an imaginary line drawn down the center of the aircraft from the nose to the tail (similar but not the quite the same as the roll axis).  In this discussion we're talking about guns that are mounted in the nose like in the 109 as opposed to guns mounted in the wings.  Guns in the wings are much farther apart so you have to aim each gun inward a bit so all the rounds converge in one spot.  The 109's guns are very close together which means convergence is much less of an issue, how much of an issue is the question.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 12:05:41 PM »
ok, i thought a/c was aircraft but in this particular reference i wasn't sure. i did not however know that c/l was centerline. i do understand, and am familiar with the concept of wing mount vs. c/l mount guns. i fly the 38 alot also and have its converg set out as far as it will go. it's not unusual for me to get good pings out at d800, and with the converg set all the way out, i get kill shots from point blank all the way out.

got to fly for about an hour last night and flew the F and the g14 mostly. managed to get a few kills by settting convergence back to 175. survived some pretty hairy furballs in the F and was rtb with 1 kill and 4 assists, was going to hotpad and return but dinged my prop on a botched landing.

btw- really like the view in the g14.
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
In R/L yes, that's absolutely true but I've seen discussions on the boards where people have argued AH doesn't model that (i.e., vertical convergence) while others argue it does.  Personally, I've tried out the target and not seen appreciable difference with drop due to convergence, scatter yes, drop minimal.  That aside, and assuming AH does model the drop, you would logically determine that C/L guns should be set at longer range.  The additional "loft" relative to the A/C C/L would equate to less lead required (or built-in lead if you prefer) and the gun grouping would provide minimal scatter.  Of course you'd have to compensate and aim low on straight and level shots for what would be high groupings inside of convergence.  Just my thoughts, real nice website BTW.

From the Aces High II Version 2.01 Read me, file name readme201.txt:
"Gunsight convergence has been changed so that your bullets will strike high when the range is less than the convergence setting."

I can't recall seeing any changes to this in any further Read Me's but to be sure I guess we need input from HTC.

I'll pass the comment on the website to Luft, he maintains it. Thanks
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »
Originally posted by Creton
Fire all your guns at same time,believe me it yields the best results,and by no means fire if over 400,at least not until your profieccient in the "tater" gun.
Set you convergence at 150 and learn to get the quick snap shots.

As you know I fly the 109's nearly exclusively and land multiple kills many times in a night.Most people who fly the 109's really have no idea how to turn fight in the plane and merely bnz or cherry pick other players.If your up to some 1v1 in the TA ,let me know.

funny cause I keep my guns set at 400-450.
But I always set all at the same convergence.

I've tried less and I've tried more.
but for me one of those two settings seem to be my sweet spot

In a large way I'd say set your guns for whatworks beast for you.
that is why they have the settings.
If there was one setting that worked best for every individual. there wuld be no need to be able to change them.

Also. I tend to prefer to get under my opponent or have him higher then me when I shoot at him.

But then again. I suck
especially in the 109F
;)

Also. Learn to work your throttle.
That too can make a world of difference
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Limit

• Zinc Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 11:32:54 PM »
Links are not working now!

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
109 suggestions
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 11:52:27 AM »
Great films, very helpful....thanks for posting them.

I have recently returned to AH last month, after a 5 year flight sim hiatus.

I started up with the Spit 16 and then moved to the Dora.  It's been tough getting back up to speed (not that I was all that good "way back when" anyways).

On a whim this past weekend I started flying the K-4 and I was immediately impressed with it.  It seems to be a "best of both worlds type of a/c.  Great climb rate, very good speed and acceleration, decent manouverability, excellent lethality and decent high speed handling.....it only suffers from a small ammo loadout and poor visibility from the cockpit.

These last two are especially difficult for me since my SA really sucks along with my gunnery skills :)

Anyway, I have been doing some research on it's flight characteristics as well as comparing it to the other a/c but I still have a couple of questions about it that some of you may be able to assist with...

What is the corner speed?

What is the max speed for flap deployment?

Thanks,

StuB
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943