Author Topic: Poll for 3d Accelerator Cards  (Read 580 times)

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
Poll for 3d Accelerator Cards
« on: November 16, 2000, 03:21:00 AM »
I'm looking for a replacement for my Voodoo3 3000GTV AGP card and I just wanted a quick poll of what you, the experienced players, recommend for me.  Just let me know what you have.  I run a P3 450mhz, 128mb RAM, and a 10 gig HD.  Please give me your opinions on the best to buy.

------------------
Meine Schwester hat keine kartoffel salat?  Du bist eine lustige Buba!!!

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2000, 07:02:00 AM »
never ever go for the newest and most expencive card (unless ure rich as a skunk)
I think the gforce2 ddr card will do nice for atleast one more year.
And they now getting so good in price that its a ok buy.

airguard

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2000, 07:24:00 AM »
 A good TNT2 Ultra card ( i Have a Diamond Viper V770) would fit that rig. You may want to check out the hardware forumn for previous questions or advice.
 I currently have a PII 333, 256PC100&133sdram, fly with 1024X768 resolution, 32 bit mode and with the Viper II (32mb) I get FPS in the high 30's/40's untill I get around A1, alot of clouds or alot of smoke at a damaged base. Then it drops down into the lower 20's or if there are alot of planes and smoke lower still. I abbreviate my horizon view in those cases (shift f1, f2, f3) and I'm ok.   From what I understand a TnT2 ultra should give you good performance when used with up to a 600mhz cpu. After that the cpu isn't the bottle neck, the video card is.  

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 11-16-2000).]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2000, 08:44:00 AM »
Ok, my thoughts....

With your current system, your video card as it stands is fine.
If you were to install a card that runs 32 bit colour, you would find the performance hit unacceptable in Aces High IMO.
I currently run a similar system to yourself, and find the V3 bogs down in 16bit over smokey fields and around busy clouds.
You could go to a TnT2 Ultra however I think you will find it a minor performance increase, and a decrease in 32 bit.

To upgrade to a Geforce2, you really would need to upgrade your cpu to get any real boost in performance.  The Geforce2 really needs a 600mhz cpu before you will start to really take advantage of the better card.

My advice, stick with what you have until you can afford to upgrade the CPU

SKurj

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
You wouldn't notice much of a performance increase with a PIII 450 going to a faster card.  Right now though, IMO, the best deal for the money are cards based on the Geforce2 MX.  They can be found for around $100 US.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2000, 08:57:00 PM »
I agree bloom25, the GeForce2 MX is the best bang for the dollar at the moment.

If you have tons of money and want the best, go for either a full-on GeForce 2, an ATI Radeon, or my favourite, the Voodoo 5 5500.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline Daniko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
I agree with bloom and lephturn.  I went from a v3 to a geoforce2 mx for 110 bucks, threw in a card cooler for the heck of it and i'm running it on a Duron 650.  I get very good performance, and 32 bit looks so nice.

prz

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
bougth a leadtek TNT2 GTS and although it has clocked @ 200 bucks+ I luuuve it ';-)

taht in connection with 950Mhz Thunderbird.