Author Topic: Orange, blue, and purple too  (Read 243 times)

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Orange, blue, and purple too
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:38:09 PM »
First off, I would like to say that I consider the new base capture as a step forward, and thank you hitech for continuing to pursue ways to better the game. However, it still is something that needs to be tweaked.

We have seen the problems with funneling everyone into one base per front, that has been rehashed on the forums over and over again, I won't get into it here. I understand that new capture orders are being developed that will allow attack on multiple bases per front. Sounds great, and I hope it works out.

But regardless, there will still be people who prefer the old, freelance capture style. Even I change my mind from hour to hour; in a crowded late war orange, there simply are no smaller furballs...I will always prefer a 4 on 4 to, say, a 31 on 28. Not to mention the framerate hit during larger engagements.

My suggestion is this: no matter how successful Flayed's new base capture order is, why not permanently keep one Late War Arena in the old, traditional capture method.

This is where syntax comes into play, presenting a great opportunity to tweak the names of the arenas. The new capture arena will be called
Late War Arena- Dual Front

while the old standard arena will be called
Late War Arena- Total War

or something along those lines.
This seems to me, from a marketing standpoint, as much more desirable than the arbitrary colours we have now. After all, many players who come to this game have a strong interest in warfare theory and history. Catching their interest with more appealing arena names makes a powerful positive first impression upon their first login. It may even provide more immersion for veteran players. After all, saying "Rooks won the reset on Dual Front last night" sounds a lot better than "Rooks won the reset in orange..."

As for Early War and Mid War, I suggest that their colour associations be discarded. As I understand, those colours were included only so as to provide continuity between them and the two Late War Arenas which needed some distinction. Besides, I have never heard anyone refer to the colour names of the EWA and MWA anyway.

And yes, I would recommend that the EWA and MWA include the new base capture, as it would seem to be most effective in lesser populated arenas.

Just something to think about.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:30 PM »
I don't think you need to worry.  If a small map is up I think it will be buisness as usual.  I can't imagine how the base order system could work on a small map.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:15:54 PM »

A better answer might be to suspend the restrictive base capture order once the arena reaches a critical number of players for each country. This way the server would look at an arena variable and all the terrains would run consistently.

As I see it the problem stemmed from low number periods when people avoided fighting while they attempted base captures. Just the opposite problem of the horde during high number periods.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001