Author Topic: Bent Wing Birds  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 12:28:43 AM »
Pretty low BuNo (02576) so my guess would be a -1. That, and it's the usual designation given in sources.

Updated, trying to tone down the white of the modex numbers and fuel tank tape.

I need to fix the fuselage immediately aft of the cockpit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:45:37 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 01:38:54 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
EDIT: By the way, is Marine's Dream a -1 or a -1A?

I've got a picture of it balled up and its got a bird cage canopy.  I'm pretty sure it was a -1.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 01:40:51 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Incidentally, Stoney, it's not so much a paint variation in the case of the upper wing surfaces.

Regardless, it has a very nice appearance, especially the fading.  Combined with the dirt and grime, the upper wing looks very cool.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »
Agreed. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
Been working on a rough draft of a new skin, J.J. O'Connell's White 042 of VMF-321 "Hell's Angels."

I've got most of the markings done, so went to take a preview screen shot before weathering/fading and such.

This is what it's SUPPOSED to look like, and how it looks in the hangar:

However, when I went to take off, this is what it ACTUALLY looks like:

What I don't get, is that it's ONLY the national insignia and base color layers that are doing it. Everything else is fine. It's also done on the same template I made for myself to use on Vargas Cowgirl and Kepford's bird, and obviously neither of those two had a problem. The only changes on the template was the slight variation in camo pattern on this bird, and the markings.

So what gives? WTF happened here?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 02:29:00 AM »
Well, obviously you've skinned Wonder Woman's Corsair...

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:14 AM »
i have a similar problem

doing a 109 skin and when i spawn it out it is completely invisible except for the  **** pit

i think my problem is im not changing the photo type back to indexed before saving so i am still in rgb mode so try that it might work

although i know you know more about skins than i do just figured id give my .02 cents
Since tour 75

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »
Nope, it's in 8-bit color.

The thing is, many parts that ARE still normal (landing gear, engine, etc) on my template are part of the same layer as the fuselage and wing base colors.

So why are the fuselage and wings bathed in ectoplasm, but other parts on the same layer fully corporeal?

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 08:56:44 AM »
that is really odd i have no answer for you i am just now working on my first skin and i keep running into brick wall after brick wall

but there is a plus to this wierd green glowing thing

submit it as a Halloween skin  :p
Since tour 75

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
You screwed with the materials file. The mat files aren't loaded in the hangar.

Try putting the default back in.

This happens because among other things, the materials file includes color and alpha levels.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
Instructions, please, because I don't even know what the frell I could have done to mess with them in the first place as like I said, the ONLY thing I did was repaint the fuselage and add the aircraft's markings, no different from any other skin I've done.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 01:11:23 PM »
Okay, when you started the skin you right-clicked in the hangar and hit "Save default skin..."

Then you went into that default directory (it has no _1, _2, etc) and pulled the bitmaps out, and used them as templates.

Go back to that same default directory, look for a material.txt file. It has 3 or 4 lines in it with some numbers. COPY (don't move) this file to the _1 or _2 or whatever directory you're working in, that has this Wonder Woman plane effect.

That should fix it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:52 PM »
HERE we go (thanks Krusty. The whole thing is odd 'cause there's no material file in the folder of ANY other skin I've done, and they all work fine). J.J. O'Connell's White 042 of VMF-321 "Hell's Angels." This is a first look with only (most of) the markings in place. No weathering/etc yet.

I don't really have much on this bird, primarily decal references and a BuNo. Any known photos would be appreciated.

This aircraft was stationed aboard the USS Kwajalein in 1944, so don't expect the heavy fading/weathering as on Vargas Cowgirl or Marine's Dream. However rather than being notable for a dilapidated appearance, she instead has some more unusual markings, with the white on leading edge of the vertical stab and the bars on the horizontal stabs. The naked angel squadron insignia is also clearly visible on the forward fuselage. Also unusual for a Marine Corps bird, White 042 appears to have actually been assigned TO a specific pilot (in this case, Lt. O'Connell. Perhaps an advantage to being stationed aboard a carrier rather than a strip of dirt, crushed coral and steel mat barely-recognizable as an airfield.

I've seen decal references for another VMF-321 bird, Heavenly Body, I may do as well.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
I really like the yellow zinc chromate.  The second one has a nice looking vertical stabilizer.  Good work!
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Bent Wing Birds
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:35 AM »
My next project:

This was one of a couple aircraft known to have been flown by Boyington in combat. Unlike the more famous "Lucybelle," this bird is typical of the weather-beaten F4Us assigned to Marine squadrons in the South Pacific.

If anyone knows of other photos of #883 I would very much appreciate them.