Author Topic: FPS alters from 4 fps to 45 fps  (Read 430 times)

big coop

FPS alters from 4 fps to 45 fps
« on: August 27, 2000, 09:47:00 PM »
Yesterday i was flying around and all of a sudden my frame rates started taking HUGE dips for no explained reason. It got so bad i could not even fly. So I left the MA, rebooted my comp hoped into the MA agian with 40 fps started rolling down the runway just to look see my frame rates drop to 10 and start slideshowing. So I left the MA again in disgust.

I shut the computer completely down over night because i thought my video card might be getting over worked. Hop into the MA mid-afternoon and the same crap is happening.
Talked to a friend and he thought it would be a good idea to download the new drivers for my voodoo 3 3000. So I unistalled the old drivers and install new ones. Nothing changed  the fps bounced all over and the slideshow persisted

Its wierd because I will be flying with 45 fps for a few seconds then it will drop down to 20 15 10 but the the screen will look like a slide show still as if I only had 5 fps (Im getting this just by flying in the open blue). To make it worse i have the SAME frame rates at 800x600 with the same slide showing. What the hell is going on here?

Any help would be greatlet appreciated.

coop

P.S. The programs running in the backround-- AH-explorer-netscape-Osa-rnaap-remind32-acvonsol-scheduler-lowatch-reminder-Dssagent-Rundll-Nzfprop-Systray-Vsstat-Schwin32-Qwdlls-Imgicon-En4060pt

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2000, 11:01:00 PM »
Umm...Big coop...

You might want to shut all the background stuff off...other than explorer,systray and rnapp..(keep rnapp if you're on a dial-up connection)

Then try running AH again...you might be pleasantly surprised.    

------------------
griz
THUNDERBIRDS

[This message has been edited by grizz (edited 08-27-2000).]

big coop

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
I have a DSL line. What one is that?

coop

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
 Not sure COOP if any are needed for your connection to remain up. I have cable modem sevice and all I have running is AH, explorer and systray.
 You really do need to dump all those programs when flying online. They're sucking your CPU down and I can almost guarantee your  performance will be so much better.
 I have the procedure to remove alot of that stuff from the registry but you can do it easier by right mouse clicking on the tray icon and selecting preferences where you can find the means to disable it from starting up every time you boot your PC.

In the mean time just do ctrl alt del and end each task one at a time till all you have is AH, explorer and systray running. If you lose your DSL connection then reboot and retry end tasking on each program while checking your DSL connection inbetween shutting each down to find out which one you need to leave alone for your internet connectivity.

-Westy

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2000, 07:42:00 PM »
Hehe, you guys are going to laugh at this one, but I SWEAR this has fixed it for many people.  ALL of them had Voodoo cards with Cable or DSL connections.  If you have a connection indicator on the taskbar, disable it.  Those little flashing lights will cause screen stutters and lockups.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS