Author Topic: New Guy looking for info  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Sprint22

• Zinc Member
New Guy looking for info
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:14:37 AM »
Hello All, or if you have been simming for a while ~S~ !

I'm a vet of several WWII flight sims including, CFS1, CFS2, IL2+AEP+PF, and I have been looking at maybe joining AHII. I am an adult so the membership cost are not a concern, except for the fact that I have never paid to play before.

Anyway, was looking for some information if possible. To give a little background, I have read the whole website and a LOT of the recent forum threads, plus the links provided by the website and did a google search or two.
I usually fly with TIR3, CH combat stick, CH throttle, CH pedals. Flew @ 100% in the CFS series and in IL2 in cockpit view with short ICONS and everything else set hard.

One important note so you know where I am coming from. I enjoyed the gameplay mode of the CFS series much more than I do the IL2 series, Though I like to fly with settings (almost) as realistically as possible, IL2 just didn't get my excitement level up as much as playing a team game on CFS2 with my buds.

Anyway questions:
1)How is the general gameplay mode? I am reading a lot about the 3 teams and that kind of stuff, but what I want to know is if the scenarios are a little faster than something like IL2, sometimes it just puts me to sleep! Do you have to fly for an hour to find and enjoy a dogfight?

2) With my general sim experience, is AHII so vastly different from what I am use to, that the learning curve is going to be tough?

3) How are the graphics in game? I run last years high end athlon64 fx, 2 gigs RAM, 7900GT card (building new Conroe for an 8800 as we speak :-) ) , Does the game look good? Can I run at 1600x1200 and if not, what would the recommended resolution be? I know the DL is free, but (lazy me talking) I don't want to DL and go through the setup and then not like it.

4)If I can convince some of my squad mates to come with me (anywhere from 4-12 of them) will we be able to fly and work together as a squad to play this game?

5) probably should have asked this one first... Would you consider this a SIM, a Game, or a combination of both?

Anyway, long first post, Sorry about that.
Any help or response will be appreciated!

~S~
Sprint22

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
Sprint,

I don't have enought ime right now to answer all of your questions, so I'll bang at a couple briefly.

1. yes you can fly as a squad and work together.

2. graphically this is not IL2, but still very good and getting better.

3. This is a SIM, not a game. It has the most realistic and acurate flight models based on real a/c data of any game on the market.

That's all I have time for now. We have a great community here and I know someone or several someone will give you a much more detailed response.

<>
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:42:34 AM »
I am new too so let me provide my first impressions.

For some background I have played few combat sims, but spent lots of time on MS Flight Sim.  The planes seem to me to work as well as in MSFS, if not better.  I have never been able to flat spin a plane in MSFS.  

I have a low end pc, graphics wise, and am happy with graphics.  I like the fact you are playing against other people so the difficulty is much higher than any other AI based enemy that I have ever encountered (read, I get dead alot).

As mentioned, you can join a squad, or just hang out with other folks.  I have already found a regular player that doesn't mind me following him around and we work well together.  

Since you can hop from base to base on the map, you don't have to fly for an hour to find a fight.  It's as easy as looking for the flashing bases, and the radar to see what's happening and click, your there.

I have yet to find the game "slow".  With sometimes over 200 people playing at the same time, I have yet to find I can't "get dead" in short order.

The one thing that makes this game great is the people, but those same people can make it troublesome.  It made me mad when we just won a base and I tried to up in a tank.  There was someone sitting behind the vehicle spawn shooting me the moment I popped up (kind of cheap IMHO).  That gets frustrating, but you will have that from time to time when people are involved.

On the positive side, most all are cordial and helpful to new folks.  Like you I spent several hours reading the documentation and get frustrated when the 10th person asks "how do I drop bombs?"

My advise, DL, install the game (it only takes a few min.) and enjoy your 2 weeks free game play.  I do not see any restrictions in place during that time, so you will get the entire experience .  They don't even ask for credit card info until the 2 weeks is up (I went paid before that).

(now for my advertisement)

I am pretty good with GV's and bombers.  Is there a squad around looking for an addition?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
My best advice would be to use your 2-weeks free trial. You are already familiar with flight sims so the adaptation period would be minimized. Do not expect to excel in this short time period, but you can get the basic idea of gameplay.

Sounds like you'll be more a squad guy than a freelance warrior. After you get accustomed to the game, post on the squads forums and find a nice squadron to fly with.

Also, be careful of the impression one can get from reading these boards. The whiners are always louder than the happy majority.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
questions
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:26:56 PM »
Ok...where to start. Firstly ah is not as graphically smooth as il2 but you use a powerfull system so the results are still excellent. There are quite a few arenas so let me try and explain a little further. Firstly I should add that if you download the FREE programme which does not require credit cards etc...stay or leave you will always have the offline and the * player online game to keep. So I guess the first thing I would do would be to do that, get a few squadies , open go into an 8 player room and try it out. Now the 8 player rooms I use for filming as you can either use any of the maps available or you can make your own. In any case I can alter all the hit values etc to help get the result I want. Next there is a training room where skilled vets help new guys and answer questions etc... Then there are regular large and small special events , some historical some not so but these you can read about in the scenario forum which also has a calender to help you. As someone has already said the modelling I think is very accurate, Ok sometimes weird things happen but hey its that way in life ,right ???. The main arenas are the early war, mid war and 2 late war arenas. These are different as the vehicles and plane models available start with the basic models in the early war arena and progress as the war does. Another difference is that you can man, command the cv battle groups main, secondary and anti aircraft guns are all mannable. If you fly  you can also have one passenger to man a gun for you. From these groups you can launch lvts and pt,s as well as aircraft. There are many vehicles available and base anti aircraft is mannable, Ok...the sim.... there are a number of ways to enjoy this sim...some people like to capture bases ans expand their countries...if you are on line and your country wins the war the map changes and you are awarded perk points in every catagory. Some guys love tanks others like ground attack, bombers or fighters. There is enough for all. What I prefer in this sim is ....the numbers..hundreds of guys in the same map means as much action as you can handle.Perk points...ok everytime you do something successful you are awarded perk points in that catagory...example shoot down fighters and get fighter points. Now in every arena certain vehicles and aircraft are perked like the me262 or 163 so you buy them with your perks...get shot down...lose the perks...land successfully ...keep the perks. It sounds to me like this game is made for someone like you...I dont think it would be hard for you to adapt at all...There is also a squad and individual ranking system that counts every hit and bullet..I hope this helps you but if you and your friend want more help, send me a message as to when and what time and I will open an 8 player room just for you and run you through a few things practically. Jim

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:27:56 PM »
Alot of AH squads started elsewhere so "bringing" your guys no problem....

As stated above the graphics are not cutting edge. Some of this maybe on purpose for playabity....but overall the graphics quality is pretty decent.

It's hard to say how steep the learning curve will be since I dont know just how good the average pilot is where you fly. I can tell you that a number of the "top guns" here go all the way back to Air Warrior on Genie....so alot of knowledge is here and many of the newer sticks have been mentored well in the TA. I think you'll find the competition to be challenging but not totally overwhelming.

When I think of a sim I think of a "boxed" game....I think that this is unique due to the size of the arena/community. The recent changes have broken things up to more managable numbers in each arena but you still have 300+ in prime time in a single arena.

sign up with a few buddies and try it for the two weeks. I fly knight under snaphook and would be happy to wing with ya or work with you a bit to bring you up to speed...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sprint22

• Zinc Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
Wow Guys, Thanks for the fast responses! It is refreshing to see a community like this. Use too a lot of communities were like this, but it is a rare occurence now-a-days. I am actually posting from work (TSK-TSK) so I have to actually work a little :-)

I am pretty sure I will do the DL this weekend. Just want to make sure I have a few hours to set up my HOTAS and TIR, and I probably need to upgrade TIR so I can get the 6 degree movement thingy (It wasn't supported in my other SIM.

Humble- I think you are right about graphics, I think I remember reading that because of the online play and the numbers that it is a little lower than what I am used to in IL2, but I would give up a little graphics for a little more action ;-).
Does anyone recommend a resolution other than what I have read? I guess I could get by with 1024x768 but I would like it a little higher and would not want to go lower.

Bozon- I would definitely be a squad guy! Hopefully I could convince a few of my guys to come with, but if they didn't I would definitely look for one to join. Also, I won't worry about forum posts, I have been seeing people with "suggestions" about flight models, game formats, etc. for years on IL, LOL.

Jim- Thank you for the offer, I will probably take you up on it after I fly offline for a few days.

One other BIG question from me- I am fortunate enough to have a weekend getaway place on the Suwannee River, If I have an account, will I be able to play from that computer on the weekends if i am down there? It would only be me and I would never allow someone else to use my account (I.E. if I were there no one else would be on my account at home or vice versa)

Thanks again to you other guys that I didn't mention directly, any more info, tips, suggestions, or Hello's will be appreciated.

S~
Sprint22

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
Originally posted by Sprint22

One other BIG question from me- I am fortunate enough to have a weekend getaway place on the Suwannee River, If I have an account, will I be able to play from that computer on the weekends if i am down there? It would only be me and I would never allow someone else to use my account (I.E. if I were there no one else would be on my account at home or vice versa)

Should be no problem, I did a similar thing for a time.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline jamesdeanoo7

• Copper Member
resolution
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »
You can certainly use a higher resolution than that. I think mine is 1200 something by 1000 something lol. Anyway when you dl you can go to the video settings and it gives you choices as to what you would like to run. Jim

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 02:36:32 PM »
_Just a note on the graphics. IMO its tough to require a game maker to have the absolute latest and greatest graphic bells and whistles, especially in this type of game. I wouldn't want a game that changed every 6months for some new bell or whistle.
_On the other hand you don't want some game that looks ancient.  Being from AirWarrior those graphics definately were old when EA folded it and were a detraction.
_AH is in between but much closer to the good side, IMO. There are parts that are old, some planes have updated graphics and some still use the older ones, but they are working on that in an orderly fashion.
_I'd say DL the game and load it up. Do your best offline to get your controls setup, get familiar with the flight model, get used the commands and how to navigate the interface, and practice some gunnery. Just a note though, the offline planes do not have an accurate damage model, ie: they can fly around with both wings shot off and you need to explode them to make them regenerate.
_Once you're familiar with it, then start the two week trial and you'll be better suited for the combat and wont have to mess with the basic stuff.
If you like it and want to tempt your friends over, you can make an 8-player arena and they can test it out free untill they are up to speed and ready to sign up themselves.

Oh yea, get back to work!! :D
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Re: New Guy looking for info
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sprint22
5) probably should have asked this one first... Would you consider this a SIM, a Game, or a combination of both?

I really like this question. Of course my first instinct was that it is definately a sim because of the realistic flight model and attention to historical detail. But then I also realized that so much of what makes AH fun is the game part of it- flying with people you know, not taking things too seriously, jumping into furballs not really caring if you get shot down, etc.

I think the fact that AH is a hardcore sim that at times plays like a game is the real draw. I think you'll really enjoy it. Good luck

Offline Sprint22

• Zinc Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 03:24:38 PM »
Oh yea, get back to work!!

Therein lies the rub, I don't wanna work no more I just wanna go home and start DL'ing  LOL.

Thanks again for all the responses guys, keep em coming!
S~
Sprint22

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 04:09:32 PM »
BTW, your flights can be as long or short as you want.  My typical fighter excursion usually averages about 15-20 minutes but that's cause I fly a Spit without much of an ammo load and I tend to get in too deep most of the time (meaning outnumbered to the point of being silly) and get shot down.  High altitude bombing runs can last 90 minutes or more.  It takes a long time to get those Lancasters to 20,000 feet.  You really do need to do the D/L, get yourself set-up and used to the controls then either try the 8 man or start your 2 week trial.  The learning curve is a little steep for the casual gamer but everone's pretty helpful plus there's always the training arenas if you want the extra help.  Graphics are decent.  Part sim, part game.  Pretty good at both and well balanced.  Have fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:45:13 PM »
welcome sprint22 and SCCA i know you will enjoy your time here!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
New Guy looking for info
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
I came from CFS1 and then FA2.5

It's not like CFS1 , it's better here . No cone to show you were the bad guy is here .

Stalls a bit differant also .

I like it alot better than a boxed online game , more to options to chose from to do . Bet you will too . Your pc will run it fine IMO .

It might take you awhile to get the hang of flying in the MA , did for me but it's well worth the time you'll put in .

Hope you have as much fun as I have .

Enjoy
My current Ace's High handle is spro