Author Topic: Not Able to Connect  (Read 480 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Not Able to Connect
« on: November 18, 2001, 10:24:00 PM »
Need a little help here.
Tried to get online today and keep getting "unable to Connect to Host" message.
Click Online, and immeadiatly says it cant connect to host, then offers the alt route to connect.  Click yes and says cant connect to host.  If gives no timer indicating that it is even attempting to connect.  I'm able to access email and the internet.  Even able to VPN into work.  AH has worked fine since June now this.
On boot up I first saw an error for a file called  Tsosms has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I have no idea what this application does but it resided in the Windows/System folder.
I deleted the file and rebooted the pc.
Then got an error for a file called  Nyffi has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I deleted this file and rebooted the pc.  Then I got an error for a file called  Uwcyhtyu has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I deleted this file and rebooted the pc. Then I got an error for a file called  Xijwqeuq has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I wasnt able to delete this file.

Each time I restarted my pc I got an illegal operation error for each of the files.
Any Ideas??
I also run Zone Alarm and I notice that it isnt running.  I also check the msconfig file, and notice that the Xijwqeuq file is listed with RUNDLL32 task.

Cable Modem
Celeron 400 overclocked to 416
224 mb ram
64mb video card
Win98.
I ran scan disk, no problems,  defrag, no problems,  reloaded win98, no problems, I rebooted the cable modem, still not able to connect.
I'm going to post this and keep digging, the problem may be in my msconfig file, I see all kinds of things in there that werent there a few weeks ago when I cleaned it up last.  In the meantime if anybody has any suggestions I be glad to hear them.
Thanks

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Not Able to Connect
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
Mullet:
Rule 1 "NEVER DELETE ANYTHING FROM YOUR WINDOWS FOLDERS"
I'm no wizzard but I do know that these files are many times interconnected and if you delete one the next error you see may not be the same because it never got to the previous point.
What version of Windows you using?  ME has a system restore feature which allows you to recreate the system to what it was on a day you know it was working fine.
Beeg

Originally posted by AirScrew:
Need a little help here.
Tried to get online today and keep getting "unable to Connect to Host" message.
Click Online, and immeadiatly says it cant connect to host, then offers the alt route to connect.  Click yes and says cant connect to host.  If gives no timer indicating that it is even attempting to connect.  I'm able to access email and the internet.  Even able to VPN into work.  AH has worked fine since June now this.
On boot up I first saw an error for a file called  Tsosms has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I have no idea what this application does but it resided in the Windows/System folder.
I deleted the file and rebooted the pc.
Then got an error for a file called  Nyffi has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I deleted this file and rebooted the pc.  Then I got an error for a file called  Uwcyhtyu has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I deleted this file and rebooted the pc. Then I got an error for a file called  Xijwqeuq has performed an illegal operation with an associated runtime error.  I wasnt able to delete this file.

Each time I restarted my pc I got an illegal operation error for each of the files.
Any Ideas??
I also run Zone Alarm and I notice that it isnt running.  I also check the msconfig file, and notice that the Xijwqeuq file is listed with RUNDLL32 task.

Cable Modem
Celeron 400 overclocked to 416
224 mb ram
64mb video card
Win98.
I ran scan disk, no problems,  defrag, no problems,  reloaded win98, no problems, I rebooted the cable modem, still not able to connect.
I'm going to post this and keep digging, the problem may be in my msconfig file, I see all kinds of things in there that werent there a few weeks ago when I cleaned it up last.  In the meantime if anybody has any suggestions I be glad to hear them.
Thanks

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Not Able to Connect
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2001, 02:57:00 AM »
I'll echo that advice. But further, those filenames sound wrong. You likely have a trojan installed or have suffered corruption to your registry.

If you've got the time, a reinstall would be a good idea, just in case.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Not Able to Connect
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
Qts wins the prize.  Was finally able to sort my system out, had 174 trojan viruses,  ended up reformating hard drive and installing win2000.  Now just have to rebuild everything.
And Beeg, I've been playing with Windows since it first came out, I have to learn everything the hard way.