Author Topic: Changes to come.  (Read 31508 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #675 on: December 14, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
When each country as aprox the same amount of fields, things are staying balanced.

When one country is getting down to there last fields they start getting swamped. And hence are not having much fun.

Now the players in that country start looking for fun else where. Hence they change arenas. Once the numbers get to imbalanced we are stuck in a dead lock. Players do not want to be on the lower side because they feel like they do not have a chance to fight back.

Note I in no way assign any blame to anyone, it is just human nature to respond this way.

One thing that will help is having some fields that can not be captured, so you can still fight back.

2nd thing that will help is a change to the victory condition, so instead of the low on field country still getting hit, the winning country is forced to attack the other country.

HiTech

Not that I disagree with you but I usually had fun being the low number/low field country.  The fun was in the challenge to find ways to have fun and still have successs and usually I was able to.  With only one arena and county loyalties maybe some would switch sides or log off but the die-hard country loyalists, at least those with some fortitude, would put up an awsome fight.  I suppose i'm in the minority in this regard.

That said how do I get you to answer my qustions posted on page 3.  Do I have to threaten or demean you?

Of course I'm kidding, but I would like the answers to those questions.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #676 on: December 14, 2006, 01:16:32 PM »
Greetings,

Actually, I am not avocating (sp - no dictoionaryy availble right now) a further split, just the use of arenas currently available.

I can't even begin to list the varying comments I have 'heard" (well, read) while flying - so much so, that I almost always turn off 200.  I turn off that channel as I dislike listening to some 'knowitall' bang on the keyboard about score ho, tool shedding, hoer, cherry picker, run dweeb, cryer, furballer, alt monkey, Lgay, Dweebfire, etc . . .

If a person wants to play by a set of rules, a joust if you will, then there is an in arena in whick a person can do that.

If a person only wants to bomb, there is an arena he can do that as well - the training arena.

If a person want's to participate in a grand scale wargame, there is an arena that will accomidate that person.

If you are a Historical Fanatic, there is an arena to meet your desires.  Plus the SE arena.

Goes back to Homeboy's comments about Gamers and Wargamers.  The tools are out there for everyone to be happy - the tools are just not used.  I am, to this day, amazed at the number of ppl who join the current version of the MA and complain about other ppl not acting how they want.  If you don't enjoy the current arena, use the others.

I guess the problem is - as the dueling and AvA arena aren't used very much, the only targets are in LW Blue or Orange.  Maybe the scoring thing drives it, yet, it seems most of the purists deride the whole scoring concept.

Seems to me, that if you enter an arena where the overarching goal that drives the tactical engagements is to 'conquer' an electronic realm, people are gonna try and do that.  If that's not what you want, use the other arenas.

Regards,

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Changes to come.
« Reply #677 on: December 14, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
BaldEagl:

Didn't answer them, because I have not decided yet.

HiTech

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #678 on: December 14, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »
No the problem is (and it's not really a problem just an incentive) is score and perkies.

You don't get score or perkies in the DA or the TA.
And while the AvA does have its own score and perkies. (which i believe get reset) HT does not post top scores on the main page.
Thus those who worry about rank will not go there.

I suggest you look up the criteria for a ma style of map also.
Those are the only ones that make it as a MA and thus score and perkies.

Ohh I agree with the 200 comment. I sometimes wonder why I have it tuned.

Bronk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:34:36 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #679 on: December 14, 2006, 01:34:33 PM »
After thinking about these changes I have become a big believer in HiTech's idea to change the reset conditions to be X percentage of the other two countries. This will make the 3 country system function as it theoretically should, it will force a reset minded country to fight a  two front war.

This is diametrically opposed to what happens most of the time now whereby two countries dogpile the low guy and/or the one in the reset corner of a particular map. How it is now only the low fielded/dogpiled team is fighting the two front war, the two larger teams are ignoring each other and only fighting on one front vs. the smaller/geographically disadvantaged team.

The net effect of changing the reset conditions will be, as HiTech stated, a guarentee of at least a fighting chance  and therefore some fun for the low field/playered team. It will also force the reset  minded folks to fight each other for fields against much stiffer opposition.

Zazen
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:37:45 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline smash

• Copper Member
Re: Changes to come.
« Reply #680 on: December 14, 2006, 01:35:49 PM »

3. Will also make some core fields uncapturable in each country.

HiTech [/B]

Personally I'm not a big fan of "rules" that don't have some basis in reality.  I was surprised when I started playing again to find the indestructible buildings.

The Orange Arena setup didn't change much of my minute by minute play, but it seems to make things less of a war simulation and more of a board game.  At least that was my perception.  It didn't really bother me that much, but going back to the Blue Arena felt good, it was nice to not have the targets dictated, or some areas artificially protected.

Just my perception.

BTW, I felt bad that I did not respond to you in the previous post in a timely manner, but I started spending more time in the game to try and figure out how much of my opinion was based personal versus what I was actually doing.  Switching planes to the F6F has kicked up the enjoyment quite a bit  

:aok

I wish I understood better what you are trying to accomplish with the changes.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #681 on: December 14, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
hitech this is gone from ridiculous to sublime.

not letting people fly just gives them time to window out and ***** here. cant really blame them because squad play is shafted. it's what older players come for.

18 years in sims says rolling country numbers have always been. it happens randomly and can last a year, but it has always been. hordes are fun, but many guys actually enjoy being underdogs. good strat modeling attenuates what a horde can do and adds new dimensions to gameplay. good strategy should offset fighter tactics in an interesting war sim.

in contrast, queing a player 20 minutes to join up with his squad to balance numbers is kludge. you gotta know that's true.

please just consider getting rid of *all* bwana patches to engineer gameplay and tell staff to work on modeling enhancements of all sorts. this done, you can ignore the bb, go sip some scotch and play with a real joystick.

considered advice from knowing you at least 15 years now,

mullah

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Changes to come.
« Reply #682 on: December 14, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »
smash: with the new capture setup, if you do not have some fields not captureable. It would be possible to completely wipe out a country and still not have the war won.

HiTech

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #683 on: December 14, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »
smash: with the new capture setup, if you do not have some fields not captureable. It would be possible to completely wipe out a country and still not have the war won.

HiTech

Think i have a tear welling up .:aok

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Changes to come.
« Reply #684 on: December 14, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
After thinking about these changes I have become a big believer in HiTech's idea to change the reset conditions to be X percentage of the other two countries. This will make the 3 country system function as it theoretically should, it will force a reset minded country to fight a  two front war.

This is diametrically opposed to what happens most of the time now whereby two countries dogpile the low guy and/or the one in the reset corner of a particular map. How it is now only the low fielded/dogpiled team is fighting the two front war, the two larger teams are ignoring each other and only fighting on one front vs. the smaller/geographically disadvantaged team.

The net effect of changing the reset conditions will be, as HiTech stated, a guarentee of at least a fighting chance  and therefore some fun for the low field/playered team. It will also force the reset  minded folks to fight each other for fields against much stiffer opposition.

Zazen

I have exactly the same opinion about this part of the changes. :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #685 on: December 14, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »
I remember having unlimited non-stop fun way back in 1993 on SVGA Air Warrior with three countries that had no capturable fields and a little atoll in the middle that did have a few capturable fields. The CV's were anchored, too. No resets, just a constant battle to take the atoll.

It was simple. It was a blast.

Seems the more complex we make this, the less fun we're having.

Fight.

It's fun.

Try it, you'll like it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #686 on: December 14, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
After thinking about these changes I have become a big believer in HiTech's idea to change the reset conditions to be X percentage of the other two countries. This will make the 3 country system function as it theoretically should, it will force a reset minded country to fight a  two front war. Zazen

So this reset condition would be for example,  1 country would have to have taken at least (random #) 50% of the other two countries fields before there was a reset?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Changes to come.
« Reply #687 on: December 14, 2006, 01:59:17 PM »
Airscrew Your a knight. To win you would have to have 90% of knight bases, 30% of bishop bases, 30% of rook bases.

HiTech

Offline corpse

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/god_of_war_and_death
Changes to come.
« Reply #688 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »
JB88: If you even gave 1 min of thought to the changes we are making you would realize they can not be done in a beta fashion, because to find out the result to  any of it we need all the people playing.  

So you are just trying to find a reason to mud sling at HTC.

HiTech

ok then how can this be done when alot are stuck in cue waiting to fly driving up the eny without switching countries or the coined term "chess peices"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #689 on: December 14, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by corpse
ok then how can this be done when alot are stuck in cue waiting to fly driving up the eny without switching countries or the coined term "chess peices"

Back out and pick the other late war arena .

Simple really.:D

Bronk
See Rule #4