Author Topic: Changes to come.  (Read 31446 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #705 on: December 14, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
i think this one fits the last few weeks

The Emancipator

Sees the game as a titanic struggle between the evil expressive developers and the poor, downtrodden gamers. The evidence? Every rule and limitation in the game.

Sample Quote: "I don't see why I have to complete quests to get epic weapons! If I want my second-level Bumblefur Bard to wield the Deathsword of Arat'rak'k'k'k, that's my right! Quit telling me how to play!"

Punishment: Sent to Sudan to experience first-hand what oppression actually feels like.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #706 on: December 14, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
i think this one fits the last few weeks

The Emancipator

Sees the game as a titanic struggle between the evil expressive developers and the poor, downtrodden gamers. The evidence? Every rule and limitation in the game.

Sample Quote: "I don't see why I have to complete quests to get epic weapons! If I want my second-level Bumblefur Bard to wield the Deathsword of Arat'rak'k'k'k, that's my right! Quit telling me how to play!"

Punishment: Sent to Sudan to experience first-hand what oppression actually feels like.

sudan ain't got nothin on my woman.

:p
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Changes to come.
« Reply #707 on: December 14, 2006, 03:57:48 PM »

all of these fires should have been out weeks ago. best case they would never flare up...how? advanced notice...bombardment of the masses with positive concepts related to change and an expectation of something new coming around the bend.

While this sounds all great in theory it does just the opposite of what you expect.

Take one specific pre announcement we did concerning the perk ordinance system. All it does is create "Sky is falling post" and really makes matters even worse with rumors and speculation. End result is you are just putting out flames longer.

Take another example of when we launched the ENY plane disabling. It was talked about long in advanced. The flames on it started before the launch and continued on until this last side balancing change.

Believe me when I say been there done that got the tee shirt on pre anouncing contriverial changes. JB88, remember I have been CEO of an online flight sim company since 1995 (- 2 years of wild bill hell).

Have built 2 of them starting from scratch. And while I'm always looking for better ways of doing things.

I have learned a hell of a lot what does and does not work. And also I am constantly reavaluating that knowledge.

One of the things I have learned is that , a pure marketing type person interacting with the community is an absolute night mare . W
They typically do far more damage than you could ever imagine. There problem is that a marketing / sales type personality is very much driven by telling people what they want to hear. While this works for a short time, in the end it really breaks down the trust of gamer vs game maker.  And from then on anything the marketing person saises is just viewed as pure hype, and ignored. Go look at WB as a classic example of how to destroy player relations.

When you have a product that all of your customers communicate with each other on a daily basses, it creates an entirely different beast than other type industries.

HiTech

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #708 on: December 14, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
ya.  i thought of that...i deleted the post on reread due to that very line.  thanks for bringing it back  lol.

when it comes down to it, all i am asking is that nothing comes in the way of just being able to hop on and kill people with my friends.  

maybe if changes happened every first saturday or something, or at the start of each tour...at least then i could have an expectation and have no reason complain that i didnt see it coming.

i really dont know squat about being the ceo of an online gaming company, true...but i do know how i feel when said ceo throws clouds in my coffee.

please just consider some predictability with changes and maybe even consider rolling a few back from time to time when they arent working...please.

and thank you.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:13:22 PM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Changes to come.
« Reply #709 on: December 14, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
please just consider some predictability with changes

This is a fair idea ill keep in mind.

HiTech

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #710 on: December 14, 2006, 04:16:49 PM »
joy.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Changes to come.
« Reply #711 on: December 14, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »
JB88: Have a real world question for you. I have completed the new capture war win system.

Now the choices I face.
Assumtion.

I'm fairly sure it will help with the current country balances between arena.
If it helps, the current balancing system should hardly ever take effect. I.E. no waiting.

So now the choices.
1. Can put it into the mid war.
2. Can put it into 1 late war arena.
3. Can put it into all arenas.

I can release it today or some other day. Under your "predictablity" I should wait until Monday to implement it.

If it works as expected, it would be much better to have it up for the weekend.

So now lets not debate the actual system, but just the launch.

What would your choices be.

HiTech

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #712 on: December 14, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »
HT I have a question about your new 30, 30, from each country to win the war" idea:

Wont that just "encourage" a country to be More populated than the others in order to succesfully be able to fight the war on two fronts??

Wont this add to the imbalancing?
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #713 on: December 14, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
JB88: Have a real world question for you. I have completed the new capture war win system.

Now the choices I face.
Assumtion.

If it helps, the current balancing system should hardly ever take effect. I.E. no waiting.

So now the choices.

Can be totally avoided.

Some will try to avoid . Then complain about it being forced on them in that arena.

Will get the best overall picture of how well it works . None can hide from it.
But none can cry fowl about being forced to fly with it in one arena.

I can release it today or some other day. Under your "predictablity" I should wait until Monday to implement it.

HiTech

IMHO a weekend test would bring a bigger sampling of whats going on with a test.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #714 on: December 14, 2006, 04:49:46 PM »
Originally posted by Platano
HT I have a question about your new 30, 30, from each country to win the war" idea:

Wont that just "encourage" a country to be More populated than the others in order to succesfully be able to fight the war on two fronts??

Wont this add to the imbalancing?

How can you jump on a high numbers side when numbers balancing is in effect?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #715 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:30 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
IMHO a weekend test would bring a bigger sampling of whats going on with a test.

Bronk

Then again there's the flip side.
Any problems or unpredictable results are with you until at the earliest Monday.
At least if a Monday there's a complete working week to get on them, it would still be there for the following Saturday.

Thats one of the reasons our company never sends a patch out just prior to a weekend, nothing worse than tee'd off customers.
Nothing worse than having to come in on a weekend either.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #716 on: December 14, 2006, 04:55:57 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

Now the choices I face.
Assumtion.

So now the choices.

HiTech

I would say just for a quick test.

I would say put it up now if not then for sure on the weekend. Thats when our numbers are highest.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline smash

• Copper Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #717 on: December 14, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
The Magical Realist

Doesn't understand what a "game" is. Constantly makes arguments based on what would be "realistic," even if the game is set in a fantasy world run by wizards and pixies.

Sample Quote: "You can't tell me a Mondlagarian Tiger Warrior is stronger than a Swamp Troll. That just doesn't make sense!"

Punishment: Sent back to kindergarten for remedial make-believe classes.

OUCH!

:lol
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #718 on: December 14, 2006, 04:59:50 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Then again there's the flip side.
Any problems or unpredictable results are with you until at the earliest Monday.
At least if a Monday there's a complete working week to get on them, it would still be there for the following Saturday.

Thats one of the reasons our company never sends a patch out just prior to a weekend, nothing worse than tee'd off customers.
Nothing worse than having to come in on a weekend either.

Hehe cmon Kev HT is dedicated he wont mind coming in on the weekend.

*snicker*

But yes point well taken.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Changes to come.
« Reply #719 on: December 14, 2006, 05:00:09 PM »

Kev I work almost every weekend so that statement is incorrect.

HiTech