Author Topic: Changes to come.  (Read 31007 times)

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #720 on: December 14, 2006, 05:06:01 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Kev I work almost every weekend so that statement is incorrect.

HiTech

Hitech has a pa system linked to this game. Its hooked up into his house in every room. Only people with special access can use the vox in the game to contact him. It also works on his cell phone and in his airplane. So you see its all gonna be ok. Well unless the secret channel is leaked.:t :t :t
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #721 on: December 14, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
You might as well set it up in all the arenas, HT.

Just like AH1.99betasomethingorother, just like the capture setup, people will run from it. They will complain, and they will be very upset, even if they don't try it. If they have to try it, they will still complain, and they will still be very upset, but if it works, most will calm down, and order will be restored.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #722 on: December 14, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »
I agree with that. Might as well just get it over with and hit the button. That way it will be done and thats the way it is.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #723 on: December 14, 2006, 05:19:16 PM »
Kev I work almost every weekend so that statement is incorrect.

HiTech

Point taken.

Still say it's asking for trouble though.

From experience many moons ago - We released a 'fix' on a Fri afternoon for one of our products, had an unforseen side affect.
Since then nothing goes out later than Thursday morning.

We aren't talking penny anny companies here either, some of our 'customers' -
Kroger
US Steel
Airtran
General Electric
U.S government

to name but a few.

Your choice as always.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #724 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
Kev most players are online during the weekend.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #725 on: December 14, 2006, 05:34:57 PM »
Weekend releases are only a problem if your coadmonkeys don't work weekends.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #726 on: December 14, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »
Hub - Banshee
Both very true, just speaking from [edit] BITTER [end edit] experience.

Don't forget it would still be there for the following weekend.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #727 on: December 14, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »
Kev, why are you so against launching this now? First Hitech said he has fixed it and 2nd the HTC staff can be reached if something goes wrong. It was proven the other night 3rd Hitech said he is always working on the weekends. There really is no point in debateing. Its not like the everybody goes home and says see ya hope nothing goes wrong be back Monday.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #728 on: December 14, 2006, 05:51:02 PM »
Originally posted by smash
The Magical Realist

Doesn't understand what a "game" is. Constantly makes arguments based on what would be "realistic," even if the game is set in a fantasy world run by wizards and pixies.

Sample Quote: "You can't tell me a Mondlagarian Tiger Warrior is stronger than a Swamp Troll. That just doesn't make sense!"

Punishment: Sent back to kindergarten for remedial make-believe classes.

There is such a thing as a "realistic fantasy," paradox or not.  You and your ilk would do well to keep that in mind.  Or do you really want purple skies in the next patch?

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #729 on: December 14, 2006, 05:51:51 PM »
Like I said it's my personal opinion having suffered at the hands of a just pre-weekend release.
I'd have much rather have been at home, or in the bar sinking a few pitchers.
I'm sure the customer (the important one in the equation) could have done without the hassle over a weekend also.

Personal opinion only, others varies, doesn't make either 100% right or wrong.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #730 on: December 14, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
There is such a thing as a "realistic fantasy," paradox or not.  You and your ilk would do well to keep that in mind.  Or do you really want purple skies in the next patch?

It's not purple ?

Damn now i got to go adjust my monitor colors .:furious

:rofl

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
Changes to come.
« Reply #731 on: December 14, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
ok lets say its done your way and something goes wrong that day. Tell me what the diffrence is?

Edit: Tell me what the diffrence is any other day
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:56:58 PM by BansheCH »
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #732 on: December 14, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »
hitech,

Hats off to you and the HTC folks for weeding through all this with patience and professionalism when it would be much easier to just go on vacation for a couple years, leaving a single arena up with no bug fixes or additions and outsourcing support to Bangalore.  ;) No one can say that you aren't dedicated to your product and customers.

You're right. Continuously even number will always yield a stalemate in the war - no side can win. On the other hand, momentum swings with the country numbers. I think we've all logged out, or considered doing it when overwhelmed by 2 other countries. Maybe there is no way to create a single, multi-faceted arena that will always be fun for all sides in all conditions?

If I were free to make my own arena, I might make something like this:

I liked the rolling plane set idea you made in Brand X. I think it would be interesting to combine it with ENY to create an Air War arena that offered a different challenge each time the player logs in.

An Air War having no troop captures. Bombers and Attack aircraft can capture sectors by destroying 99% of multiple large targets within a time limit and resupply/rebuild would set the time limit. Offensive and defensive fights are all air-oriented. Resupply is by air only and only M16s and Ostwinds are available for their intended air-defense role at a base or strat target.

It would feature a rolling plane set based on ENY that the player can influence. Bombers can up any ENY value bomber at any time.

When players log into the arena, they are restricted to fighter/attack aircraft with ENY >28. After landing at least two victories, they can up ENY >20.

Land at least two more victories, and they can up ENY >12. Two more victories and they can up any non-perk plane. After landing two more victories, they can up a perk ride, but cannot up another perk ride for one hour if they fail to land it successfully.

It may not be practical to do, but I think that would be a fun arena providing a new incentive for the player each time they logged in. Each side has air targets and bombers/attackers have a purpose.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Changes to come.
« Reply #733 on: December 14, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
JB88: Have a real world question for you. I have completed the new capture war win system.

Now the choices I face.
Assumtion.

I'm fairly sure it will help with the current country balances between arena.
If it helps, the current balancing system should hardly ever take effect. I.E. no waiting.

So now the choices.
1. Can put it into the mid war.
2. Can put it into 1 late war arena.
3. Can put it into all arenas.

I can release it today or some other day. Under your "predictablity" I should wait until Monday to implement it.

If it works as expected, it would be much better to have it up for the weekend.

So now lets not debate the actual system, but just the launch.

What would your choices be.

HiTech

you have already done what i would suggest.  you have posed a question to the player base in such a way that have the opportunity to take co-ownership in its implimentation and will subsequently strive to see it succeed.  

having said that you have completed it, people are curious...heck, i am salivating, but that's just because i am eating spicy salted peanuts.  

i would place it in one of the late war arenas, tell the community about it and ask for their help in testing it.  i would also announce that i was jacking the numbers up in the other lw arena so that they wouldnt have to participate if they did not want to.  chances are they will.  why?  a.  they are not forced to change their habits they are invited to.  b. it's thursday.  less drunks than friday.

you might also consider rolling it out in one of the earlier arenas to get people interested in them again.  not sure if that is the best option though.

my guess is that if it works as well as you say it might, all will hail the great hitech and it will go off with only a few bugs needing to be worked out.  the key is to make it possible to avoid having to try it while enticing them to do so.

since you let the cat out of the bag and since nothing is set in stone yet, i would probably just go ahead and impliment it immediately with a MOD that expresses appreciation to all of the subscribers for being patient while changes are being implimented and how much you appreciate their continued support of the game and that in the future all new mods will occur at the first of each month at exactly 10 am cst for continuity which will give them something to look forward to and only one month of whines before the cutoff and the new ones start.

thats what i would suggest.

i think it would make all the difference in the world.

but i'm an idiot according to hubs so there is that.

;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 06:53:28 PM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Changes to come.
« Reply #734 on: December 14, 2006, 06:31:18 PM »

... a pure marketing type person interacting with the community is an absolute night mare . They typically do far more damage than you could ever imagine. There problem is that a marketing / sales type personality is very much driven by telling people what they want to hear. While this works for a short time, in the end it really breaks down the trust of gamer vs game maker.  And from then on anything the marketing person saises is just viewed as pure hype, and ignored.  

Couldn't help laughing when I read this. Anyone remember Robert Wolf, aka "Airwolf" in AW? It was he (if memory serves) that first uttered "2 weeks" in response to question about time frames for a change in the game. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."