Author Topic: Shuttle Landing  (Read 247 times)

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
Shuttle Landing
« on: December 22, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »
Wonder if I'll ever outgrow getting a kick out of watching that.

Nope. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
Me neither.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:43:55 PM »
Thanks.  Always amazing.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 04:49:14 PM »
looks like its down safe.

wtg old bird :)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
Watched it on CNN live, pretty cool.  I join the list that will never tire of seeing the shuttle launch or land.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
Yup, I'm a shuttle fanboy all the way back to Crippen and Young.  Don't think I've missed more than maybe 5 launches in the last 24 years.

I remember being an 11 year old kid, when my family lived in Mammoth, laying on the floor with the electric heater blowing on my feet in the pre-dawn west coast darkness on April 12, 1981.  It was 4am, and I was up to watch it.

My addiction started before that though... I bet it wasn't a year after they glide tested the Shuttle off the 747 when I had a Revell plastic model of it in my little hands.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 08:31:59 PM »
Yeah I watched the landing live too

Those long range cameras sure took some nice shots as the shuttle made a long turn over the Cape to land.  

Gotta wonder if those guys have a bet over who has the shortest rollout.  I heard the Cmdr was debating if it was a day or night landing.  Sunset + 15 mins = Night landing, so he chalks up a day one

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:14:31 PM »
I watched it as well.. I figure I might as well take the time to see it land because the shuttle flights are numbered at this point.. We may never see another winged spacecraft in our lifetimes.. Thats fine by me actually.. Less people will end up dying, but there's nothing else like it...

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:25:21 PM »
Originally posted by xNOVAx
I watched it as well.. I figure I might as well take the time to see it land because the shuttle flights are numbered at this point.. We may never see another winged spacecraft in our lifetimes.. Thats fine by me actually.. Less people will end up dying, but there's nothing else like it...

All the shuttle flights have been numbered.  sts-1, sts-2......

And the fact that it has wings is not the reason that Columbia and Challenger were destroyed.  It was that the orbiter was situated on the rest of the system so that a flaw in the other systems could damage the orbiter.  

Put a winged crew orbiter on top of booster system and both failures would have been averted.  (at least their fatalities)

And it looks as though they are still working on the x-37, seen hanging from Rutan's White Knight carrier aircraft.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:43:23 PM »
What I meant by numbered is that these are some of the shuttle's last flights.. A few more years from now and they are going to be mothballed..

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Shuttle Landing
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
Yeah yeah... change your story now....;)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!