Author Topic: CRT or LCD?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
I have a 19" CRT at home on my computer.  Cost me all of 119 bucks 4 years ago when my last 21" Sony died.  As long as it keeps going it wont be replaced, and I'll shop for a used CRT before I'll buy an LCD for it.  I have LCD's at work and half of them have died after just over a year of service.  The power supplys fried on each and every one.  Simple to get to and replace, but they dont sell them as replacement parts.  Go buy a new monitor.  Perhaps my stuff at work gets used a bit harder than home computers, but I have 2 there left that are still using CRTs, both of which are over 8 years old and run 24/7.  One is starting to show some signs of burn-in, and will have to be replaced soon, but that one is the oldest and is 12 years old.  Given my experience thus far, I dont see CRTs going away as a good thing.  :(

Maybe you should buy better quality LCD's? Dont buy cheap...
I am a spy!

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
Considering each of the LCD's in my office that I've had to replace cost over 400 each, I didnt think of them as cheap.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
Considering each of the LCD's in my office that I've had to replace cost over 400 each, I didnt think of them as cheap.

They were cheap for LCD. $800 and upwards for the quality stuff.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »
$800 & up means you're shopping at the wrong places.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
[BI have LCD's at work and half of them have died after just over a year of service.  The power supplys fried on each and every one.  Simple to get to and replace, but they dont sell them as replacement parts.  Go buy a new monitor.  [/B]

I agree, LCD's seem much more prone to problems than CRT's, but CRT's have had a long time to mature.  I have just begun to transition to LCD's at work, and have quickly discovered that the name on the box means nothing.  I've had expensive Samsungs die while 'cheapo' Acer's plug along like they are new.

You can get a good quality "office quality" 19inch LCD in the 200-300 range.  Anything more than that and you really need to have an artistic reason to be spending that much.
P-47 pilot

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2007, 03:20:53 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
$800 & up means you're shopping at the wrong places.

Or just shopping for el-cheapo tech when professional quality comes at a premium.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »
No, for $800 your shopping at the wrong place. You can get a quality LCD for less than half that in the 19" range. Three years ago your statement would've been valid. Today that's not the case. You can get 24" widescreen Sonys, Samsungs & NECs for $800

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
Define quality?  The only LCD I have seen which comes close to my exacting requirements is a 24" 16:10 aspect ratio and costs around $1,500 U.S.  List is at $1,800.00.

Yes, you can get a 24" fpr $800, but it is not nearly good enough, to me, to replace a high quality CRT unit.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »
Define quality: "quality manufacturer"

There are no LCDs that I'm aware of that can match the CRT for picture quality, but they are coming. We're talking about units burning out inside of a year. My dads little 15" is still kicking & it's 3 years old. I got my Acer just a few months ago, I'll report back when this under $200 low brow brand 19" LCD is still going at the 1,2 & 3 year marks.:aok

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »
yea not to sound dumb but whats a CRT

and Plasma screens r better then LCD :D
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
This is what we use at work .............

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116060

Except that I have to buy them local.  I'm not arguing about picture or anything else.  For work, a monitor is a monitor is a monitor.  It just has to be big.  These do the job just fine, and if they lasted longer I'd have no problem with them.  I understand that there are people who have cheaper ones that last for years.  I'm saying that I've got 6 of these, 2 older CRTs and a large plasma at work.  The CRTs are slowly being replaced as needed (and the 12 yr old one surely needs it soon, the burn-in makes for interesting reading when I change screens).  The LCDs are being replaced because they die.  The vendor is saying they have this problem with LCDs that run 24/7 (like mine) ALL THE TIME (and not just this brand), and that they would recommend CRTs for such applications but cant get them.  I'm guessing its a heat dissipation problem, probably one that could be easily solved but would cost more money.  I think the concept is wonderful and I love the space I'd save on my desk at home if I used one.  I just dont think the quality is there yet.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »
Originally posted by Wes14

and plasmas use 4X more power than CRTs.

Offline Helrazr1

• Copper Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2007, 12:54:28 AM »
Originally posted by Wes14

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube, they are the big bulky monitors that look more like a traditional tv than anything else.

much like the post above stated, plasma's do use about 4X the power of an lcd, but have other disadvantages too.  You would not want a plasma to play this game.  Plasma's, much like CRT's will suffer from the "burn in" effect.  Meaning, if you tend to fly one plane quite frequently, you will begin to see all of the instrumentation on your screen all the time.

I know a guy with a big, beautiful 50" plasma tv.....watches CNN all the time, and now, no matter what's on tv, that image of the ticker at the bottom of all CNN broadcasts is always at the bottom of the screen.

I don't think that I would ever want a plasma for a monitor.  TV's are a different story, but IMO, would be a bad idea for AH.

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »
I have a 19" CRT at home on my computer.  Cost me all of 119 bucks 4 years ago when my last 21" Sony died.  As long as it keeps going it wont be replaced, and I'll shop for a used CRT before I'll buy an LCD for it.  I have LCD's at work and half of them have died after just over a year of service.  The power supplys fried on each and every one.  Simple to get to and replace, but they dont sell them as replacement parts.  Go buy a new monitor.  Perhaps my stuff at work gets used a bit harder than home computers, but I have 2 there left that are still using CRTs, both of which are over 8 years old and run 24/7.  One is starting to show some signs of burn-in, and will have to be replaced soon, but that one is the oldest and is 12 years old.  Given my experience thus far, I dont see CRTs going away as a good thing.  :(

How do you diagnose the power supply on an LCD? I have an expensive LCD 19" wide screen that also has a TV tuner in it. I could watch TV down in the corner or full screen. I used it as a second monitor and could play AH on my big CRT and watch the Military Channel on the LCD at the same time. The LCD faded out on me. When it went, it would come on for a second, dim out and go black. After a couple of times of that, it just came on for a fraction of second and went black (like a capacitor discharging) and after that it just stays black. I'd like to take it apart and fix it, vs. paying for new one. I wouldn't mind paying to have it repaired if it was less than paying for a new one.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Originally posted by Helrazr1
SNIP- I don't think that I would ever want a plasma for a monitor. TV's are a different story, but IMO, would be a bad idea for AH.

I was just wondering how you came to this opinion.  Obviously, you have never seen AH on a Quality High Definition Multi-Media display.

My DLP was designed to accept PC inputs through VGA and HDMI inputs.  I would put its picture quality up against almost any large  CRT or plasma.  You wouldn't believe how beautiful High Def Windows Media Files are at 1920x1080p from my PC.  AH is AWESOME on this set with full 5.1 Surround Sound. The cockpit instruments  are huge and crystal clear - easily read from 8' in my recliner. My DLP doesn't suffer from motion blurring or burn-in.

BIGGER is better.  Using this calculator-

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

My display is 1012.3% larger in widescreen mode and 521.2% larger at 4:3 with black side bars compared to a 19" 4:3 display. The difference is even greater compared to a 19" widescreen.

Overall, I don't see how using my display for AH is a "bad idea".

TV's are a different story, but IMO, would be a bad idea for AH.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:35:06 PM by DAVENRINO »
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV