Author Topic: New Content Editors Package Released  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
New Content Editors Package Released
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
Do I understand right that we now can use the OE method of zooming in on the terrain and moving around?

EDIT: Opened the TE and answered my own question, it's a yes. One other thing though, the TE no longer prompts you to save your terrain when attempting to exit. Even when you have made changes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:24:11 AM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »
Originally posted by Denholm
... the TE no longer prompts you to save your terrain when attempting to exit. Even when you have made changes.

Didn't even notice that, Denholm... good eyes. Gonna be sure to save it manually from now on, or until it gets fixed.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »
I'm not sure if it prompts you only if there is a real change, cause I added a tile, then erased it leaving the terrain the way I found it, then upon exiting never noticed the prompt to save the terrain.
FlameThink.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
Just a comment..

The only thing I don't like so far is we lost the right click to set elevation. This slows sculpting quite a bit.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
Haven't messed with elevation, what is the requirement now to set altitude to desired height?
FlameThink.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »
Haven't messed with elevation, what is the requirement now to set altitude to desired height?
Select an area, enter the desired elevation and click a button next to the elevation entry box.

It's easier for me to set an elevation and right click to set. Change elevation and right click, etc. I never had to go through the motions with the mouse to change elevation, the text focus always stayed in the elevation entry box. Hard to explain, but it seemed easier to me the old way.

And to confirm your finding... If you change elevations you are not prompted to save your changes. For myself it's not a problem since I always hit File-Save then exit and answered no to the prompt. But if you aren't use to doing it that way it could be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:16:22 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »
I just noticed, if you saved before exiting, it will not prompt you to save. Also, they changed the code so that if there IS a change on the terrain that does not match the previous layout when you saved, only then will it prompt you to save upon exiting.

In simpler terms:
If you changed something on the terrain and leave it there, and it wasn't there the last time you saved the terrain. It will ask you to save your terrain when you attempt to close the TE.:aok
FlameThink.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 12:30:57 PM »
Of course it would come out while I was out of town; so I opened it for the first time last night.

I like most of what I see so far, the new shapes, the constant alt when moving etc.

The rivers don’t affect GVs, and PT boats can’t travel up them right now.  I tried experimenting with *_a.bmp and .txt files to no avail. Anybody have a working procedure to fix it?

Dux already mentioned that the river/ocean juncture isn't working. Anybody have a working fix yet?

Is anybody able to "fly" the terrain with a joystick or did we loose the ability?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 12:42:15 PM »
I just noticed, if you saved before exiting, it will not prompt you to save. Also, they changed the code so that if there IS a change on the terrain that does not match the previous layout when you saved, only then will it prompt you to save upon exiting.

In simpler terms:
If you changed something on the terrain and leave it there, and it wasn't there the last time you saved the terrain. It will ask you to save your terrain when you attempt to close the TE.:aok

This is not what I'm finding, Denholm. Anything that I have done so far to the terrain that was not manually saved was NOT prompted when exiting. It just closed and dumped the changes.

Sure, this is overcome by good saving habits (although sometimes I like to minimize the TE and I have been known to click the close X button accidentally) but this surely is not the way the TE used to work and I can't believe HTC would set it this way intentionally.

Skuzzy?

[edit: It works as Denholm says in the Object portion, but not the Terrain portion... if it helps narrow down the problem.]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:46:11 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
... Dux already mentioned that the river/ocean juncture isn't working. Anybody have a working fix yet?

Best that I can see so far, Easy... is that If you end the river by using one of the tiles which diverts the river to the corner of the tile, there is considerably less transition to be dealt with.

Also, if you want to branch a river into 2 rivers, the corner deal is the trick. I have no idea if these rivers are meant to be navigable or not.

Sure would be nice to have some kind of documentation... at least so we could know what to expect from these features.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 02:13:04 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
Best that I can see so far, Easy... is that If you end the river by using one of the tiles which diverts the river to the corner of the tile, there is considerably less transition to be dealt with....
Right, but you still have a bit of land between the mouth of the river and the ocean. :cry

Rivers are too neat to not be navigable.;)

Besides, no way should a jeep just drive down a river without flooding out the same as in the ocean.  I'm looking to institute two things with terrain tiles for GVs: Water hazards that work for rivers and ponds, and a slightly non-smooth texture which makes roads a more desirable path of travel. The old way to do this was to add your *_a.bmp for the water or roughness textures.  I feel really out of date now.:lol
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
Easy,
Karelia terrain has such features, but laying out all the custom land objects in TE is one heck of a job...

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 03:48:40 PM »
Right BlauK, I guess I wasn't clear. I'd like to try to achieve my goals by modifying or replacing these tiles instead of building custom objects to place over water tiles.

Maybe I haven't played with the editor enough yet, or again, maybe I need to build replacements in the OE. Seems like Hitech would have foreseen this and given us a simple way to accomplish it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 09:27:20 AM »
Originally posted by Dux
edit: It works as Denholm says in the Object portion, but not the Terrain portion... if it helps narrow down the problem.]

Okay, I didn't realize only editing the terrain would not prompt you to save upon exiting. Good find.
FlameThink.com