Author Topic: First Flight Anniversary Sunday  (Read 133 times)

Offline CpMorgan

• Zinc Member
First Flight Anniversary Sunday
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
Sunday will be the 103rd anniversary of the First powered flight by the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk. I look at the progress in flight technology today and I am amazed at the changes since then. Stealth planes, Smart bombs, Fire-and-forget missles, FLIR, all this in just 103 years. I wonder if Orville and Wilbur really realized what they were starting. I also wonder whatever gave them the idea to start on this journey in the first place.
   In 1903, Orville and Wilbur owned a successful business in Dayton selling and repairing bicycles. Today that would be comparable to a new car dealership owner. The bicycle had begun to be the new fad in the innercity areas, as horses were beginning to be more of a "farm" type animal, and bicycles didn't need to be fed or cleaned up after. They had a commercial market that was thriving and lucrative.
   So, now these guy's get a bright idea and think they can build a flying machine. Something that had never been done before, and could potentally kill them both in the attempt. They're SERIOUS about it too. Thousands of hours in their shop experimenting with wing design and flight controls. Testing and modifying over and over, untill eventually they think they have the right design. Off to Kitty Hawk they go to try out the first-ever powered, heavier-than-air machine. The lay down the track that the machine is to follow and fire it up. Orville is the first one to fly in the new model, because Wilbur, the previous year, had crashed their glider model. I'd have loved to be there to listen in to their conversation those last few moments before they flew into history. I bet it went someting like this...
   "Ok, Orville. Are you ready?"
   " I pretty sure I got everything memorized. Throttle to raise up. Rudder to swing left and right. Stick to turn."
    "OK, Orville. I'm gonna start the engine and push you off."
    "Ok, Wilbur, I'm ready. But I have to ask you again. Why are we doing this?"
    " IF I'VE TOLD YOU ONCE, I'VE TOLD YOU A THOUSAND TIMES, ORVILL. THIS WILL GET US CHICKS!"
 :rofl  Gotcha!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 08:22:01 PM by CpMorgan »