Author Topic: Saitek X36 HOTAS and Rudders  (Read 602 times)

Offline Ash

• Zinc Member
Saitek X36 HOTAS and Rudders
« on: September 06, 2000, 02:27:00 PM »
Ok, I got my new system ( Dell 800 MHz, GeForce GTS 64 megs, 128 Meg Ram, SB live << schwing >> ) and I'm looking for a HOTAS system. I have been watching CH products and they are promising a fully USB Hotas system soon < seem to me they have been saying this for the last year or so >. I don't know if I want to wait any longer.

Does anyone use the USB Saitek X36 system? And does it work with USB CH pedals. I know I have seen folks mention a similar setups but never explored it as an option. I really want to get set for version 1.04 < I heard it will be out in 2 weeks >. Any comments would be helpful. How do you set up the (CH) pedals with the Saitek?

Thanks in Advance,

Ash
I./JG2

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
I got a Saitek X36 combo (USB) and CH Pro Pedals USB.

It's AH doing the job of making them work together, you see. You just have to instruct AH to use the CH Pro pedals for rudder input and the Saitek X36 combo for everything else.

The number of games that allow multiple USB controllers is very, very small though. For example the competition won't allow you to use both X36 and Pro Pedals at the same time.

Look in the Hardware and Software forum in the General Forums area for more information on the Saitek X36, there are many threads about it.

My only beef with the X36 is that one button on the throttle now soon stops working when playing AH (but it always works before loading AH). I don't know what to make of it. (I bought it a month and a half ago.)

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Ash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2000, 06:03:00 AM »
DrSoya,

Thanks for the help and I will check out the other forum. I'm not worried about the "competition", just canceled my account last month << even though they feel they can keep charging me :-/ >>.

<Salute>
Ash
I./JG2

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2000, 03:48:00 PM »
Dr Soya is right. It's quite easy to set up the X36 and CH USB pedals in Aces High. Just go into the setup area and choose joystick. In there you will choose your stick and assign which action goes with it. Make sure you chose the ch pedals to run the rudders and not the Saitek

As far as the loss of use of a button since using AH it appears that Dr Soya either has a defective stick or he should check his software setup. You should not lose control of buttons when you enter Aces High.

I would recommend you download my Saitek Profile from the Aces High download page and use it for a start. A lot of time went into choosing the right button for the right job in that profile, and it will give you a good start.

If you have any trouble just give me a call

Ranger Bob

[This message has been edited by RangerBob (edited 09-08-2000).]

TBone

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
Something else that might be of help.  Any time you have a problem, I suggest you check Ron Hunt's site:  http://www.saitekhelp.com/

Ron is a heck of a nice guy, and has a tremendous amount of info available, and will personally help you with problems.  

Offline SC-DeMutt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2000, 02:25:00 AM »
Hi;
  Well, I'm running a Thrusty analog RCS w/ My X36-USB combo. And was absoloutly loving it untill today
  I downloaded and installed a driver from "The Stickworks" [www.stickworks.com], That allowed the use of 'Other' pedals, [namely analog], with the X-36 USB.
  But after installing AH 104.2, I could no longer choose my rudder pedals w/o also choosing something called: "View Yaw" in the AH Joystick Setup. And w/both drivers enabled "Aerobatics" took on a whole new meaning for me

At any rate, There is always hope! [I guess this is the first complaint I'm gonna have about AH, And it's the result of them trying TOO HARD to please, LOL!!

S!

DeMutt

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2000, 06:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by RangerBob:
As far as the loss of use of a button since using AH it appears that Dr Soya either has a defective stick or he should check his software setup. You should not lose control of buttons when you enter Aces High.

I half-suspected a complete re-install would fix the problem. I finally did it (it was way overdue). The so-called "mouse button" works again.  

I'm really satisfied with my X36 USB/CH Pro Pedals USB combo.

I tried that beta driver from Bob Church, DeMutt, and it worked fine. You need to have the rudders on ID 2 in the Joystick advanced setup.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
You dont need that program from stickworks if you have a none audio card game controller like the L4 from pdpi ( I believe it works with others) you just plug it in and it comes up with 2axis 2button joystick you add rudders and calibrate by clicking through the joystick to the rudders then set them and forget. If you dont have controller card plug cheap joystick in the pedals and dont worry about calibrateing the sitck just the rudder pedals.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage