Author Topic: Gentleman’s Agreement  (Read 961 times)

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 03:54:18 AM »
I will always HO someone trying to cherry a furball, and I will always HO perk rides, because they're normally flown by frightened little girls who deserve to cartoon-die. I will never change my perspective on this. There is no reason to fly timidly, and those who do should be punished.

Oh my......Judge Dredd is between us:O
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 04:05:30 AM »
BaldEagle, It would be great to see something like this happen, but for the most part, It's not gonna happen. If you were even succesful in getting it posted, there's no way it would take off, because as soon as someone started breaking any of the gentlemens' code, It would bust open, and we would be back at square one.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 05:20:53 AM »
I'm must be in the Twilight Zone!  I sort of...   ugh!,  uhhh, agree....  uhh, with...  uhh...   damn!   Hub.   <>    

Any round coming out of my aircraft at any angle at any time, striking an enemy aircarft of any kind, anywhere, is a fair and legal shot.  PERIOD!!!

Otherwise I generally support and already try to follow the other "guidelines for respect", with one small conditional exception.

While I do it on occaison, I don't often salute someone I've shot down, unless I know them.  Even then, only if I'm sure that they will know it's a salute for a good fight (even though I won) and not a 'rub it in' gesture.

I never, ever put rounds into a plane I know someone has already killed.  And I often ask if a pilot needs help (also meaning do you want it) in a one on one.  I don't do this with other bandits or fights in fairly close proximity, or where we are defending a base and need to knock down all the enemy as fast as possible.

Otherwise, I like the guidelines and already try to follow them.  Wish more pilots got their enjoyment from being respected than from taunting others or insulting people to salve their own ego.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline skycaptn

• Copper Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 07:22:49 AM »
A true AH junkies agreement.

1.) I will take any shot I get and if you whine about it on 200 ill ignore you.
2.) I will only bomb tank town in the event that it TRUELY annoys you..
   a.) In the event that it does not annoy you I will stop.
   b.) If you whine about it I will spend the next hour using my friends
        on your country to locate you so that i can kill you specifically.
3.) When capturing your field keep in mind that when your wheels leave the ground your officially airborne.
4.) I reserve the right to pick a fight with you on 200 to make you play sloppy.. when this fails I will call you a noob.
5.) I love reporting people who have been here forever and think that the rules do not apply to them.
6.) Beer.

These are the true rules of the AH junkie.

Offline ZagaZig

• Zinc Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »
HO tactics were imployed by german fighters against US daylight bomber formations. Hence the upgraded B-17G & later models with the twin 50-cal chin guns to help defeat this tactic.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl

Gentleman’s Agreement

1.   It is not OK to take a head-on shot (HO) on an initial one-on-one or many-on-one merge.  After the initial merge anything goes.  Likewise, when merging into a one-on-many or many-on-many anything goes.

Either you didn't say this well, or I totally disagree.
One on one I agree, no HO, cold merge, may the best man win.
Many on one anything goes I'll kill anything I can from any angle.
They have the advantage, I have to try to even that advantage.
Change # 1 to read

#1 It is not OK to take a head-on shot (HO) on an initial one-on-one.
After the intial merge anything goes. When the odds are against you ie 2 0r more on 1, all agreements  are off anything goes.

BTW HO = 2 cons playing chicken from 3k out or more, nose to nose. It does NOT mean a forward quarter deflection  shot in the middle of a turnfight.

#4, If its a one on one I'll stay clear, or ask if he's ok. If its a 2 on 1 I'll ask which one he wants. Sorry but a 2 on 1 is not a fair fight, my jumping in makes it a fair fight. However the guy in the fight has the right to tell me which one he wants. After all technically if he wants them they are both his.

#5 There is never any reason to have more than 2 cons on a bogey. Period EVER

The rest I agree with and well said.  

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
Another History Channel ACM "expert," I see...

Maybe just a well read member of the boards.  As you read the biographies of many of the pilots in the Pacific, HOing was not only a valid tactic, but one that was actually encouraged due to the US fighters havig armor, self-sealing tanks, and heavier fire power than their Japanese opponents.  Basically, it seems like they new the odds were atacked in their favor so it was better than a 50-50 chance of winning the HO.

Although I've read of it being employed in the ETO, I don't find it encouraged as it was in the pacific.

As always, in a game where people clamor for more "realism" , I don't understand the constant b1tching about HOing when it was a very "real" tactic used during WWII. . . .

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I will always HO someone trying to cherry a furball, and I will always HO perk rides, because they're normally flown by frightened little girls who deserve to cartoon-die.  I will never change my perspective on this. There is no reason to fly timidly, and those who do should be punished.

and when said person using a BnZ returns fire and hos you first, you dont complain hub, thats why you have my respect.

because youre not afraid to openly and honestly show people what youre about. you wouldnt deny the ho shot and therefore the smarter pilots remember 'dont fly infront or straight at hubs'. fairplay to the man who can admit how they truly feel even if its something others might not agree with.

S! to hubs, and stay out his way :)

on the other hand, I can't stand those who say they will never ho when they almost only ho.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Confessions of a preacher:

I HO'd 2 guys last night.  They were attacking one of our bases, not really working together but I was the lone defender with more red dar bar coming and I figured it was the fastest way to dispatch the threat.  Just goes to show even I can't comply when consiously thinking about it.  

On the other hand I entered a me on three last night.  BnZ'd past all three w/o HOing them, extended, re-merged w/2 of them, again without the HO and engaged them in a turn fight.  The 3rd one ran.  I had the perfect HO shots on all three of them on my first pass.  It was like they were lining up to die.  I guess every situation is different.

Like i said, I'd never expect 100% compliance but at least being consious of "good sportsmanship" can't hurt.

Originally posted by Ghosth
Originally posted by BaldEagl
1.   It is not OK to take a head-on shot (HO) on an initial one-on-one or many-on-one merge.  After the initial merge anything goes.  Likewise, when merging into a one-on-many or many-on-many anything goes.

Either you didn't say this well, or I totally disagree.
One on one I agree, no HO, cold merge, may the best man win.
Many on one anything goes I'll kill anything I can from any angle.
They have the advantage, I have to try to even that advantage.
Change # 1 to read

#1 It is not OK to take a head-on shot (HO) on an initial one-on-one.
After the intial merge anything goes. When the odds are against you ie 2 0r more on 1, all agreements  are off anything goes.

That is what I meant.  1st # is always me (us) on 2nd # is always them but your explanation is probably more clear.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:37:16 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 11:41:07 AM »
There are no rules you play however you want to.
heres how i like to play.

1. My favorite planes are dweeb planes like the la7 and 16.
2. I will vulch you whenever i have the chance too.
3. I never HO in a 1 on 1 fight.
4. I never steal kills.
5. I will always look to cherry pick people.
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
Another History Channel ACM "expert," I see...

Stang,
Obviously this person also thinks golf is a sport:)
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
Originally posted by Sgtlead
 the HO was a primary tactic of the Flying tigers in China.

This is utterly false! Why you would post this kind of misleading information is beyond me!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"