Author Topic: Airport security and airplane parts  (Read 806 times)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Airport security and airplane parts
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »
I recently flew my 182 to the Bahamas and back.

My experience.

File flight plan and call US customs to arrange a meeting at airport of entry.

Walk to plane. No security check. They let me on the apron by buzzing me through a door when they see my flight bag.

Fly to US. Land in Detroit. Taxi to building with customs sign on it. Walk in and am met by a friendly and bored customs agent. He gives me all the forms to fill in and then stamps me cleared. No check of my bags or the plane.

Fly to Ft Lauderdale Exec. Park over night by Banyon FBO. Next morning show up at Banyon and after checking weather and filing flight plan get driven to my plane in a golf cart. No security check.

Take off and fly to Stella Maris airport. Bahamiam customs officer is not there. Park plane and go to hotel. Come back next day to clear customs. He gives me a form that allows me to land at other airports without having to visit customs.

Fly to George Town airport next day. Land and get driven in a golf cart to the terminal. When I leave a few days later bypass the security checks and get driven to my plane in a golf cart. Fly to Ft Lauderdale Exec. Get greated by two friendly customs agents who just want to see my passport. No search of plane or baggage.

Fly home.

If only my plane was faster I would take every trip this way.

Offline DEMONSLAYER

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 12:34:59 AM »
ya my uncle was a captain of a Comair flight. they made him throw away his pocket knife. keep in mind hes the captain of the airplane this security is ridiculous.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 04:33:18 AM »
I guess everyone who travels has horror stories now. The more your travel the harder it gets to hold your tongue when badgered by a contracted airport "security" person who was a busboy at Dennys last month before he was fired for incompetence.

Immigration people don't seem to be getting any brighter either. I would expect them to have been at least a waiter in their previous life, not a busboy.

The last time I came back into the US, I had one scrutinize my passport. Inspector Cleusou decided some important interrogation was in order.

Inspector Cleusou: "You travel a lot. Thailand (raises a suspicious eyebrow), China (raises both eyebrows), Taiwan, Guam, Korea..."

"Yes." What else can I say?

Inspector Cleusou: "You have a permanent resident visa for Japan?"

Thinking, thinking... was that a question or a comment? His intonation raised, so it might be question. How could it be a question if he's looking at it? He seems to be waiting for an answer. After 20 hours of being awake, I'm a little giddy and almost blurt out, "I do? How did that get in there?" I decide against it and say, "Yes, I do."

Inspector Cleusou: "Why?"

Why? I want to be collecting my bags. Be nice. "I ask myself that a lot too," I say with a laugh, hoping he has a sense of humor.

Inspector Cleusou: "Hmmm... What do you do?"

He's humorless. I wanted to say that I'm a geisha farmer, but decide against it. "I work there," I say in a half answer to test if he is really listening.

Inspector Cleusou: "There is no expiration date on your permanent resident visa."

He's not listening. He's just screwing with me. I retest: "I'll check that next time I get it renewed."

Inspector Cleusou: "When does it expire?"

"When does it expire? It doesn't. That's why they call it 'perm - a - nent.' Is there a problem? What other questions can I answer for you today?" I ask with a forced smile.

Inspector Cleusou: "You can go now." He's had enough of me.

"I can go? You're dismissing me?"

Inspector Cleusou: "Yes, you can go."

"Didn't you forget something?'

Inspector Cleusou: Blank, slack-jawed stare.

I've got sweaters older (and perhaps a little brighter) than this pimply-faced kid, but he has a gun. "You're supposed to say, 'Thank you, sir and welcome home.' It's proper protocol. Which way is your office?"

Inspector Cleusou: "Thank you, sir and welcome home," he says through clenched teeth.

----------

(Added) This is my ranking of immigration and customs ports of entry:
1. Houston (Best)
2. Atlanta (Runner up)

Every one of these are pot luck, ranging from dismal to sadistic.
Detroit
Minneapolis
Chicago
New York
Los Angeles
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 05:21:09 AM by Rolex »

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 07:31:17 AM »
I haven't flown in a couple years, primarily due to being fed up with the hassle.  Driving's easier, just hop in the car and go.  Even an eight hour drive get's finished in about the same time as it would have taken to fly, and I skip all that getting treated like a criminal crap.  

Anyway, I'd love to see what commotion this would make going thru security.  They'd be like "Booooomb!!" and I'd be like "Nope, just beer!"  :D  Then I'd get tackled and/or tazed and all humor would be sucked from the situation...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:37:46 AM by bsdaddict »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 07:46:30 AM »
"There is no expiration date on your permanent resident visa."

priceless.
:lol

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »
The are endless stories abour airport security. There are several stories of items being confiscated from pilots. Then put in an envelope and handed to the crew for the attention of the Captain. Bearing in mind that many US airline pilots are authorised to carry guns and all of them have access to the crash axe on the flight deck.:huh Not to mention the fact that pilots don't really need to hijack planes for obvious reasons.:rofl

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 10:00:37 AM »
Waffle - no I wouldn't but the situation we have now is ridiculous and adding nothing to the safety of travel.

You want an easy target ?? Drive on any car ferry between UK and Europe. Several hundred people and you can drive on in your car packed with HE and never be searched.

Travel has risks - driving, flying, trains, boats - all of them. They are trying to make aircraft risk free and it is an impossible task.

Nice one Rolex :aok  . I completely sympathise - been there .....
Note - I am an overweight mid-forties pasty white English guy.
"You have a visa for Pakistan"
[considered answer - "**** you noticed"]
"Yes"
"Why?"
[considered answer -"It seemed like a fun thing to do"]
"I had to go there supporting a sales demonstration"
"Who for??"
[considered answer -"AK - new rifles"]
"Boeing Aircraft ....... USA"
"Oh ........ have a nice day"

I agree with the ratings too:-
Best
San Fransisco
Dallas

Worst
Seattle
New York
Los Angeles

LAX INS folk are simply the most ignorant people you could meet.

As far as crew stories - my brother is a captain with BA - he once had the metal teaspoon he carries in his flight bag to eat his yoghurt with confiscated - apparently it could have someones eye out ......

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 07:41:31 PM »
Well this "Barney" (yes I am a TSA screener) can write a book on nut case passengers who are trying to get on planes each day. Today I started my day at 4:00am by 8:00am I had turned away 2 passengers who didn't think I had the right to screen them... pointing them to the bus station down town. Took away two hand guns in carry-on baggage (one did belong to a off duty pilot) and had one nut with a can of gas in his carry-on bag.

Have nice flight...

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »
rule one for TSA screener.

don't tell anyone your a TSA screener.