Author Topic: coming to kentucky need ideas or mines to go to  (Read 430 times)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
coming to kentucky need ideas or mines to go to
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »
Were spending xmas on the road, stoping in dayton USAF  first then onto mamoth cave and have 1 day left before heading to Florida . I need good mine  to go to since wife is geologist.  any ideas ?

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
Rod, I have been to Mammonth twice, once when I was young, and just this past spring I took my two children.  I would recomend seeing the historic tour.  It starts at the natural cave entrance and has quite a bit of history along with the tour.  If you can't book the historic tour, then the next best one is the Frozen Niagra tour which has a beautiful 60ft pit of flowstone that is a site to see!  Also, I might add, if you have time, try and catch both of those the same day.  They both have unique structures as well as histories and are both great for the time and money spent!  Here's a link:
http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/cavetours.htm

As far as mines go, I belive the state is littered with them and I am not familiar with any of them so good luck there!

I hope you enjoy your visit and happy hollidays to you and yours!
Mark
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:04:07 PM by SkyRock »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »
Rod,

I guess it depends on how much driving you want to do.  Mammoth Cave is right on I-65 and a straight shot to Florida.  The mines I'm most familiar with are in Eastern Kentucky.  

Here's an interesting link you might like.  It's in the Eastern Part of the state though.  Looks like they will take you into the mine by railcar.

http://www.kingdomcome.org/portal/index.html

Glove

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »
Hey rod you better call me and have time for at least a lunch when passin
down this way and there a couple mammoth horseshoe and squire boone wyndotte and marengo
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »
May not have the time for it, but I'm vaguely remembering that your drive will take you RIGHT past Ft. Knox...which is the home of the Patton Armor Museum. Never made it there myself, but it's on that list of stuff you want to get around to...
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Keeler101

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »
Are you coming near the east part of the state plenty of coal mines here:D
Just stop in the main office adn see if they will take you around , I dont know about going in a underground mine being a vistor, But a surface mine should be no problem, but stop in office first there very dangeous in winter time mud foot thick on roads and heavy equipment pulling trucks up moutians etc. I used to work mines found a petrifed wood piece big as your leg and lots of fossils

If yuo go to  Fort Boonesborough more of the middle of the state , there is a big mine right there on the river salt i think they drive big trucks in um different than coal mines, but you can drive back in them for miles it seemes

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Rod, I have been to Mammonth twice, once when I was young, and just this past spring I took my two children.  I would recomend seeing the historic tour.  It starts at the natural cave entrance and has quite a bit of history along with the tour.  If you can't book the historic tour, then the next best one is the Frozen Niagra tour which has a beautiful 60ft pit of flowstone that is a site to see!  Also, I might add, if you have time, try and catch both of those the same day.  They both have unique structures as well as histories and are both great for the time and money spent!  Here's a link:
http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/cavetours.htm

As far as mines go, I belive the state is littered with them and I am not familiar with any of them so good luck there!

I hope you enjoy your visit and happy hollidays to you and yours!
Mark

wife is giving lecture there we will get to see parts no one else does. But wife wants to hit old mines or outcroppings. out croppings are where usally roads cut thru mtn.   thx for tips on coal mine  dh i sent you a email with phone number call collect or whatever.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 08:36:32 AM »
Originally posted by Gloves
Rod,

I guess it depends on how much driving you want to do.  Mammoth Cave is right on I-65 and a straight shot to Florida.  The mines I'm most familiar with are in Eastern Kentucky.  

Here's an interesting link you might like.  It's in the Eastern Part of the state though.  Looks like they will take you into the mine by railcar.

http://www.kingdomcome.org/portal/index.html

Glove

lol told wife first thing she asked  will they let me get samples lol guess i have another stop thx

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 08:38:24 AM »
Originally posted by DH367th
Hey rod you better call me and have time for at least a lunch when passin
down this way and there a couple mammoth horseshoe and squire boone wyndotte and marengo

we will be in dayton thurs at USAF base. then drive to bowling green for the night then mamoth on firday 22, 23 visting other sample sites and mines then onto florida to see kristina aka Galaxy

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 08:47:06 AM »
If your coming down I-75 towards Florida, I'm about 4 miles off it in GA.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
You might take a look at Carter Caves I have been there several times. Dont take the tour. There are 100s of caves, on and off the beatn path. :aok
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Re: Rod
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 10:11:38 AM »
Originally posted by loony1
You might take a look at Carter Caves I have been there several times. Dont take the tour. There are 100s of caves, on and off the beatn path. :aok

loony man thx great link exactly what were were trying to find . Thank you.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 10:13:52 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
If your coming down I-75 towards Florida, I'm about 4 miles off it in GA.

kev i got your number if we have time after caveing, i'll call you we can meet up on way back ro way down. Not sure if you were in 367th warbirds when my daughter kristina use to fly as galaxy in squad. but that is who were going down to spend winter break with. She lives ST. augustine fl.