Author Topic: Dropping Bombs  (Read 428 times)

Offline cappy799

• Zinc Member
Dropping Bombs
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
Hi guys

Im new here But not new to online flying...Some background....flew as the orig. Cappy in AW when it 1st started online...flew thru aw2 and 3....looks like a game that will be a very close natch to what i loved doing ( flying and dogfighting online :) )....having some newbie probs and kinda feel like an idiot but cant get help if i dont ask....

1st prob is simple to answer im sure and ill feel like a bigger idiot when i find out how ( sure it will be simple once i see how )...but i cnnot figure out how to drop Bombs when in bomber...can find bombing sights with no prob....but i have searched everywhere for instructions on how to drop them and all i see is how to calibrate them....is there a simple button to push when over target ?......asked online and all i get is people telling me to go to training...of course i started with training mode but still cannot find it...would love help with this so i can enjoy the game and see if i will become a full member ( which im sure i will hehe )

2. i am getting freeezes in mid game ...sometimes they will go away and i can continue game but im sure it is in my computer,,,just gotta figure it out...my computer stats if this helps

Compaq preserio
    amd athlon 3000 (tm) +
     2.17ghz 512 ram
     ISDN line to connect to internet ( old school by now but fastest i can get in country )
      windows xp
      Logitech extreme 3d joystick
      nvidia geforce fx 5500

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated

:cry i Wanna Play

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »
You have to open the doors first with the 'o' key and then I believe the 'b' key or 'fire secondary weapon' command will drop the bomb.
You can adjust the salvo with the .salvo xx and .delay a.aa command.
The xx= #of bombs per drop and a.aa= time between each bomb drop in a single salvo. Have to remain in the bombsight to complete the drop or it is interruped.

Freezes can be a multitude of things and we need more info to help on that one.
Being a Compaq it could be background processes running or auto updaters enabled.
We'd need to see the top 1/3rd of a DxDiag report to narrow this down some.
Might be a Tech Support issue if you wanted to bother starting a new thread there, 6 of 1 of half dozen the other on that point.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:02:42 PM »
See this write-up on Level Bombing from the Trainers' Web Site.
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
I put this checklist together recently.  Maybe you'll find it helpful.

I Takeoff and climbout
1. 25% fuel (seems to be plenty even for very long missions)
2. Elevator trim neutral, Rudder trim slightly right
3. Start engines
4. 2 notches flaps
5. Rotate and gear up
6. Hold runway heading climbing at 500fpm and wait for formation to form up
7. Raise flaps
8. Auto climb (speed -- red) [ALT X]
9. Go to ball turret (B17) / nose gunner (Lanc) position [2] and use rudder to make major heading corrections. Use rudder trim (button) [J][L] from cockpit to make minor heading corrections.
10. Climb out to 20-25k. This takes 20-35 minutes and requires 50-75 miles.

II Cruise
1. Go autolevel (yellow) [X]
2. Full power
3. Bring up map [ESC] and zoom as tight as possible. Use rudder trim to adjust heading to target.

III Ingress
When 25-35 miles from target
1. Bring up E6B
2. Throttle to idle
3. Open bomb bay doors

4. When ground speed reaches 185, throttle up to 30" MP (B17) or +3 (Lanc)
5. Watch ground speed and make fine adjustments to throttle to obtain 175-185 mph
6. Let ground speed settle out

IV Calibration
1. Set salvo to desired value (e.g. ".salvo 14" to drop all bombs in Lanc)
2. Set delay to desired spread (".delay .5" works good for town, ".4" for field pad)
3. Go to bombadiers station [F6]
4. Make sure ground speed (on E6B) and altitude are constant.
5. Enter calibration mode . Red text will change to yellow.
6. Press and hold "mark point" key [Y] for at least 15 seconds.
7. Turn off calibration mode . Text will change to green.

As long as speed and altitude are maintained, no further calibration is necessary. You can however, calibrate as many times as you want. Making heading corrections with rudder trim will not affect calibration significantly. Gentle rudder navigation from gunner position will not affect calibration so long as you don't bank too much.

V Bombing Run
1. As you get close to the target, use map to line up. Zoom in as much as possible. [INSERT]
2. Move to ball turret (B17) / nose gunner (Lanc). [2] Line gun up carefully with nose of aircraft. Zoom in max [Z][[] and search for target. Make very gentle rudder control to line up on target.
3. When target comes into view in gunner position, move to bombadiers station [F6]. Zoom all the way out []]and watch for target to appear at top of scope. Use rudder trim to line up on the target.
4. When crosshairs pass over target, press secondary weapon button .

VI Egress
1. Close bombay doors

2. Power to max
3. Go to ball turret (B17) / nose gunner (Lanc) [2]
4. Steer with rudder to extend and turn toward landing field
5. Decent: Power to idle. Adjust elevator trim for -3fpm. Auto climb angle (green)
The Hay Street Boys

Offline cappy799

• Zinc Member
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
Thx guys...gonna give it a try...looking forward to seeing ya in the air......hopefully i see ya 1st hehe........again ty for the help gonna try it out

also where do i send diag to ?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:10:05 PM »
You can save the DxDiag to a text file and then edit and paste it here or paste it directly here. It is sort of long so pasting the whole thing might cause an error.
In the DxDiag screen at the bottom I believe is the option to save it.

From one of the two top 'sticky' posts in Tech Support forum. It also a good idea to read those and see if any of that information helps the situation.

"First, the email address is: support@hitechcreations.com

Next, when asking for help with problems, it can save you some time if you include the output from the DXDIAG utility with your email. You can attach the file (preferred) or imbed it in the email.

Here are the steps to do this:

1) Go to "Start" from the Windows desktop
2) Select "Run" from the pop up menu
3) In the Run dialog box, type DXDIAG and press
4) After a few seconds the DXDIAG utility will be ready (the progress indicator in the lower left corner will disappear).
5) Run the video and sound diagnostics (Select the Display and Sound tabs to do this).
6) Press the "Save All Information" button
7) This will save the DXDIAG data to a file of your choice
8) Once you have done this, simply email the file to me and I can look for any issues your system might have.

Be sure to include your game ID and/or login ID with the email and a good explanation of the problem as you see it.
We cannot see your computer screen and rely on you to give us as much information as possible about it so we can try to help."

Quoting the resident tech support guru Skuzzy there.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline cappy799

• Zinc Member
Dropping Bombs
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
Ok sent the dxdiag for display and sound to support ...hope i can get it worked out...thx.........i did notice that the 3d test failed...i bought this computer for the purpose of gaming online...its 1.5 years old...possible i might need to ugrade some things online ?