Author Topic: Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...  (Read 4063 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »
You've not given one example of where a system that you would approve of has been successfully implemented amongst a significant group of people.

Rhode Island, pre constitution.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Rhode Island, pre constitution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that pre-constitution Rhode Island did not enjoy a quality of life that was comperable to the one we enjoy today. Life expectancy, productivity rates, educational standards, development and maintainability of technological advancements, etc...

Unless you want a society that mirrors that of a tiny state in late 18th century colonial America, you're gonna have to provide an example that more closely resembles modern America.

You don't have to, of course, but I'm pretty sure that most anyone would agree with me that the hardships necessary to facilitate your tax-free government would be far more significant than the hard ship of being taxed.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2007, 10:11:57 AM »
geeze lazer.. lighten up.    How would you pay for a standing army..even a small one?   How would you administer justice and guarantee human rights?   Are you saying that you only have the rights that a strong or ruthless man is able to secure?

with your form of anarchy even I would be tempted to get a few friends together and go take all of your parents stuff away from em.  What would stop me?   certainly not you.

You are asking for government by the most ruthless.   I would roll back all laws to 1912.. you would roll em back to tribal rhode island.   You would last about as long as it would take someone truly ruthless and with an ounce of charisma... you would last about as long as it took him and his merry band to find you.

I have heard no practical way suggested by you to administer justice or guarantee human rights.   The basic human rights of being secure in your person or property.   To not be harmed by others.   I have not seen how you would repel invaders.

lazs

storch

« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2007, 11:14:28 AM »
lasersailor, what you are asking for is somalia.  currently ethiopia has invaded somalia and is attempting to restore some rule of law other than sharia law administered by thugs.  men need to be governed, mankind has amply proven that we will not govern ourselves justly.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I have not seen how you would repel invaders.

He is confident in his accuracy from up to and including 600 yards.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2007, 12:14:55 PM »
:lol

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »
Laser wouldn't last 15 minutes with form of government he wants.

The line of people to take pot shots at him would be far to long, and someone would get lucky.

:rofl

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
So many people insulting Rhode Island pre-constitution.  The funny thing is that no one has even spent the time to look up how things actually were.

men need to be governed, mankind has amply proven that we will not govern ourselves justly.

When you generalize for everyone, what you really mean is that YOU need to be governed.  It's a self-defense reaction, any psychologist would tell you.  You are afraid of a lack of government, so you then generalize for everyone.

But don't worry, we see you for the sheep you are.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »
why is Rhode Island called a island?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2007, 03:27:07 PM »
That one I do not know.  But to me it is surprising how much some people think we need government, and how little they know about it.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:08 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
So many people insulting Rhode Island pre-constitution.  The funny thing is that no one has even spent the time to look up how things actually were.

If pre-constitution Rhode Island contained less than a few million people, boasted average lifespans that are shorter than modern ones, quality of life and education levels that are lower that our current levels and a rate of technological advancement that is incomperable to current rates, then looking at how things were, then, is a waste of time.

Unless you want to inhabit an island where there is no electricity or running water, your example is absolutely incomperable, in any way, to modern society, and therefore has absolutely no place in the modern context.

You could have just as easily pointed out that modern Amazonian Tribes are doing just fine without income taxes. Either way, with your claims utterly unsupported, your best justification for believing in the viablility of a modern anarchy was your assertion that you could shoot something from 600 yards.

And even if that is true, you're still unprotected from somebody who wants your stuff, and can shoot something from 900 yards.

I'll challange you again: Provide an example, of a modern, significant group of people that have been able to self-govern with no loss of duration or quality of life. In deference to your selective argumentation tactics, emphasize the words 'modern', 'significant', and the phrase 'duration and quality of life'.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:43:49 PM by Neubob »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
And again, you refuse to even look up what Rhode Island was like during the Articles of Confederation.  Jesus Christ, do I have to spoon feed everything to you people?

Are you scared?  Are you scared that I have a successful example of your so called "Anarchy?"  Are you scared because you don't really understand what it means?

You have your example.  By me telling you what it was like, you will learn nothing.  You need to discover yourself.  I have simply pointed you in the right direction.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »
zOMG a knowitall kolij kid with extemeist political views
oneoneone

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »
I'll repeat myself. Late 18th century Rhode Island and any modern society have little to nothing in common. Your comparison does not stand. Your example is as relevant as the one I made of Amazonian tribes, or Nomadic Arabs or any other pre-electric society of low population with no infrastructure. The moment you show that a modern, heavily populated society can live and grow under your proposed conditions is the moment I'll agree with you.

Until then, you're asking people to exchange the burden of taxes for the burden of living in conditions that will profoundly affect every aspect of their lives in a negative way, from health to living conditions to education to the basic conveniences that you probably don't even notice you have. This is not an exchange that anybody but you wants to make.

I'm willing to bet that were this exchange forced upon us, you and your high-powered rifle would be among the first seeking relief from the nearest centralized authority.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:51:43 PM by Neubob »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2007, 08:03:55 PM »
I bet that crazy guy you see on the corner with the sign that says "the end is near" gets really upset he has to spoon feed his reality to others as well.