Author Topic: Damaged runways... Why not ?  (Read 576 times)

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
Damaged runways... Why not ?
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »
The other day I took off and observed large bomb damages done to the paved portion of the runway. I said "oh la la I'll never make it up or will tip over in one of those crators... !" To my surprise I took off as if no damages...
I'm not a BUFF pilot but sometimes I answer to calls when they need the airbase to be bombed. Unfortunately I don't do it often enough to be an expert in hitting specific sheds and hangers. I can sure line up with the runway and hopefully make it rough for the planes taking off !!!!....

In WWII planes were taking off grass airfield because the paved runway was shot to hell... Why is there no damages done when hitting the pavement ? This way planes would have to steer into grass. This would be harder for the fighter pilots to take off etc....

Just a suggestion....

Phil
OPP7755

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »
I'd suggest you do like you're doing and practice bombing your intended targets at a base. You can still effectively incapacitate thier ability to launch fighters, GV's, etc... Bombing the runway was a legitimate tactic in WW2, along with a myriad other attack methods, BUT you have to consider what is best for the purpose of playing the game . One can't make the game too realistic or people start leaving.

For instance...
That's why HTC dumbed down the cockpits of AC just enough  for new guys to pick up flying easily while still retaining enough WW2 authenticity.

That's why the puffy ack, while still lethal when it hits you just right, is not even close to the intensity demonstrated in actual raids (such as the bombing of Bremen.)

That's why the hangars at a field stay down for only 15 minutes. Nothing needs to be said about that in real life.:huh

That's why the start-up sequence for an aircraft is as simple as the "E" button. Ever see the actual training videos for the P47 or F4u? Engine start-up is a chore compared to this.

So, when it comes down to it, HTC is trying to keep it simple enough for the newbs, while keeping  just enough  complexity (such as trim tabs, manifold AND rpm settings) in an attempt to keep it fun for everyone.

I'd have to say I don't care for the cratered runway idea.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Damaged runways... Why not ?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »
Hi, OPP.

Originally posted by Phil
In WWII planes were taking off grass airfield because the paved runway was shot to hell... Why is there no damages done when hitting the pavement ? This way planes would have to steer into grass. This would be harder for the fighter pilots to take off etc....

Because you spawn at runway (usually, but it works same for hangars). If somebody drop bomb at spawn point (many will do it for sure) you will dead before ever know why. And more important, friendly bombs makes same craters in runway as enemy.

It would not do game any better, believe me.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
Thanks guys !
You brought up good points ....;)

Phil
OPP7755

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
It would be a real thing , but, some people will take advantage of it.
Noobs will just bomb it all day long, because they cant hit anything else
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com