Author Topic: RTB Successfully Missing Important Aircraft Parts  (Read 605 times)

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
RTB Successfully Missing Important Aircraft Parts
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:44:39 PM »
I want to practice trimming and flying with damage, such as missing part of a wing, or missing elevators completely, so that I can successfully RTB.

Question: Is there a way, such as a dot command, that I can use to simulate damage while practicing offline?

Example: .damage left wing  

Realizing the above isn't a valid command; there might be something similar to that which actually works.  Programmers use these 'easter-eggs' as tools allowing them to test their own simulations.

Finally, any tips for successful flight and landing with various types of damage will also be considered with gratitude.

Thank you.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
Weight is modeled, so if you're suffering from asemetrical lift (one wing damaged), and you have a plane with wing tanks, you can balance your plane out by drawing fuel from the good wing on the way to rtb.

Well out from normal approach range, it's probably a good idea to slow down to flap deployment speed and get a feel for the plane.  As long as you dont have flap damage, they will add lift equally.  Operating elevators with a damaged wing will not add lift equally.  Point being, use your flaps to assist landing.

Also thrust and torque will affect your landing attempt.  If the torque goes aginst your asemetrical lift, it will make it easier.  Because you can gun the engine when near touching down to add lift, and level your wings.  OTOH, if it goes with your asemetrical lift, it limits your options for adjustments on your last few seconds before touching down.  Hence why it is good to 'feel out' the plane ahead of time, and get a game plan for how to approach for your landing.

Gotta go, Im sure others will have more to add.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »
If you are missing elevators completely then damaged landings are extremely hard in a tail dragger. I have not managed one yet, as I find to keep the right attitude, you have to be fast and you dare not brake on touchdown or the chances are you will nose over (even without brake). Maybe a P38 can get down ?

Missing an outer wing section I don't usually hang about long enough to juggle any fuel in wings although that is a good idea! I do find the Spit becomes more managable once you get the flaps down. I then use manual trim to aileron and rudder to make it easier to handle. Approach low and flat because you don't want to flare much - It upsets things and you will end up rolling with a fight on your hands.

The corsair and hellcat seem similar but I don't remember ever doing a landing in any others shot up except a bomber and they are not too bad!

One tip, try ground looping a corsair. You will end up removing the outer wing section. I did this to both outer sections and then took off and landed again just for a laugh! (filmed it to!). Might be more tricky with just one side gone.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 07:14:01 PM by Blagard »

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
trim helps alot with wing damage.

i once landed a spitV on a CV after having both elevators shot off.  every other of the rare times when i lose a whole axis IE: ailerons or elevators im usually just sitting duck for enemy planes.

the throttle control, on a spitV at least, is suitable to make a delicate touch down with no elevators.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 11:34:03 PM »
If you want to test off-line try taking a heavy F6F into a fast dive from 10K.  Pull real hard at the bottom and you'll almost surely break off half of one or both wings.  In this condition you can not only RTB but you CAN continue your mission (destroying whatever you wanted to hit with the ord) but I don't recommend it if enemys are about.

I've successfully RTB'd just about every concievable damage configuration exept the complete loss of one or more wings or the complete loss of the entire tail section. Once in a while I can get home but my plane "rolls over" on final approach killing me thus that advice about testing approach conditions while you still have some alt is a good one.

Next time you take damage just try to get it home.  Practice makes perfect (and I've got a lot of it :))
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 09:12:21 PM »
Throttle control is important in any plane missing elevator controls.  Your only means of adjusting your pitch is via speed to control the lift inherent in your airfoils.  Of course you can change your foil shape with the flaps (which changes your speed:lift), but still it's a matter of matching up the right speed to generate the lift you require.  This is actually something you can practice without the damage by just refraining from using using the elevator controls with trim set to manual, and try to land using the throttle only to control your ROD.

Losing both elevators, and surviving long enough to egress the battle to rtb is very rare in my experience, but it is a fun challenge to pull off when you get the chance.

Baldeagl's comments remind me of the most unlikely kill Ive gotten.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
IF YOU HAVE KILLS
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 09:43:44 AM »
This isnt sexy, and its strictly on the premise of virtual. (ie. its a video game)
 If you have kills and want to land em, and knowing your not going to make a good landing and keep it on the tarmac. Land on the field, with the Big pad, very close, so when you  flip over or spin out, or drop a wing, or you basically you know your not pulling it off, crash on the pad, slowly, adn you'll get your kills.
If your the extreme reality type, then hats off to you if you can land em. Sometimes, I just try to do it because im wierd like that, and I like challanges. Ive done a few in B24's using throttle and rudder, or what ever i need, but out of lets say 10 times in a fighter, without landing on the pad, 1 time, and that was only because the end of the runway was there, and the rearm pad, and the end of the runway T had enough concrete to successfully land. Other then that, Break the foam out, and hose me down, cause Im sure I wouldnt have lived through that.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 11:02:37 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr

Baldeagl's comments remind me of the most unlikely kill Ive gotten.

:rofl

thats awesome murdr !
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »
Try cliping a drone with one of your wings off line. Pretty easy & you can get lots of practice:D
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME