Author Topic: Attaining Range w/Destroyer triple guns  (Read 352 times)

Offline MrSpock

• Zinc Member
Attaining Range w/Destroyer triple guns
« on: December 29, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
:confused: How do i calculate the range of a target useing the triple guns on the Destroyer? (Eyeing it up doesn't seem to work). I get lucky at geussing sometimes but there must be a better way. Thanks.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
Bring up the clipboard map and click on the field you are targeting. The Range will now display from the gun position.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
The triple guns are actually on the cruiser.  Probably the best way to get the range for targets on land is to use "Land Mode" by pressing W on your keyboard.  Then bring up the map with the ESC key, zoom all the way in with the Insert key, and click on the map with the mouse.  That will train the guns to hit that point on the map.  You can then get an idea if you are hitting by watching the text buffer, or, if you are closer, you can zoom in and see the hits.
Adjust as needed.

Hitting sea based targets is a black art.  Those that are very good are likely reincarnated souls of pirates, or have a pact with he who shall not be named.  We mere mortals hit the E key to go into Sea Mode, SWAG* a distance, and let fly.  You can tell by the splashes if the shot was long or short, and if you figured the lead properly.  Also, if you get a hit, be a kind soul and say over the range channel what the distance is so the rest of us can stop guessing.

Oh, and if you are shooting at surface targets, make sure to hit the Backspace key to use HE ammo instead of AA.  It does a lot more damage.

*Scientific Wild-Assed Guess

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 01:33:12 PM »
Oh, and if you are shooting at surface targets, make sure to hit the Backspace key to use HE ammo instead of AA. It does a lot more damage.

I had no idea about this, I thought ship ammo was all the same.  I am presuming he is talking about the 5" vs. 8" guns?

8" guns are sea to land, correct, so there is no AA vs HE function.

5" guns are sea to air and sea to land.  So can you select back and forth between HE and AA in these?

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »
Originally posted by DREDger
Oh, and if you are shooting at surface targets, make sure to hit the Backspace key to use HE ammo instead of AA. It does a lot more damage.

5" guns are sea to air and sea to land.  So can you select back and forth between HE and AA in these?

correct, just use backspace...default key

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline MrSpock

• Zinc Member
Thank you
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 04:31:46 PM »
Thanks for your replies, they have helped a great deal!:)