Author Topic: Please read!  (Read 503 times)

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Please read!
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »
This is a fight I got into with a Yak, and I was just hoping to get as many opinions as possible on what I did wrong and what I did right. I'd also like to know why what I did worked or why it didn't work.

The fight starts at around 2:20 and ends at about 4:50.

Thanks.

link

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Please read!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
I don't know much but I would like to take a stab at this one and learn something myself in the process.

First off, I think that your BnZ that you are using here should be at a higher altitude and maybe extend it out farther. There are quite a few guys higher than you with more E. You are lingering down to low for to long.

Second, you did a good job around 2:50 in the film forcing an overshoot. You had him but you nosed down instead of nosing up and rolling over to find him. He was right underneath you. By going down you picked up a little speed and that flat turn/split S type move you made gave him some distance to turn back into you.

You had a nice move around 4:22 when you went hi, a hi YoYo kind of, I think, but you didn't complete it and drop back down on him. You lost site of him and gave up. If you had used some rudder to nose down that may have worked. You were at the point of stalling, I'm sure it would have been tough to drop back down.

I think you did a fine job flying that 38 and getting an advantage back a couple of times by turning with him. :aok
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 04:01:24 PM by Clutz »

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Please read!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
I'm certainly no expert but I would have had the flaps out. You easily could have forced an overshoot if you had used them. Also it didn't look like you cut throttle
either. You lost sight of the yak several times which you never want to do in a fight. If you had done those things you prolly would have smoked him.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Please read!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
Originally posted by MajWoody
I'm certainly no expert but I would have had the flaps out. You easily could have forced an overshoot if you had used them. Also it didn't look like you cut throttle
either. You lost sight of the yak several times which you never want to do in a fight. If you had done those things you prolly would have smoked him.

Believe me, I tried to use the flaps. The one burst he hit me with destroyed one of them, though, and whenever I tried to drop them I started to roll.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Please read!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:05:37 PM »
I didn't see you using flaps in the fight. In a 38 under 200, you could have used a couple of notches and pulled to lead pursuit. Once you got the over shoot, he was yours. He was low enough and slow enough for you to have gotten him. Once in the fight that had, and most of the bad guys were gone by then, go ahead and drop flaps and throttle to get the lead on the bogie and finish him off.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Please read!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 04:09:40 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
I didn't see you using flaps in the fight. In a 38 under 200, you could have used a couple of notches and pulled to lead pursuit. Once you got the over shoot, he was yours. He was low enough and slow enough for you to have gotten him. Once in the fight that had, and most of the bad guys were gone by then, go ahead and drop flaps and throttle to get the lead on the bogie and finish him off.

Flaps were broken.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Please read!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »
Check out this link. It has a Murdr flim on it. Thank you Murdr for you films. :) Take a look at it; this guy can BnZ a 38! :aok

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=193895
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 04:15:12 PM by Clutz »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Please read!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »
I see that you are using my Double-Dot-O-Death gun sight ... I don't remember getting a paypal invoice from you ... ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Please read!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 06:26:15 PM »
I use the standard gunsight, but now you've peaked my interest... How would I go about obtaining a copy of this alliterative gunsight?

And does anyone have any insight on the fight?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Please read!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 08:07:21 AM »
Originally posted by Fianna
I use the standard gunsight, but now you've peaked my interest... How would I go about obtaining a copy of this alliterative gunsight?

And does anyone have any insight on the fight?

PM me your email and I will send them to you.

As far as the fight goes ... I see nothing glaring wrong. I was viewing from the outside, so I don't know where you were looking when you made him overshoot for the first time ... at that point he should have been minced meat.

What really surprised me was as the fight continued after that overshoot, he had more than ample opportunities to end the fight ... as did you at certain points.

Are you using "manual" elevator trim while flying/fighting in the P-38 ? There were a couple of times where you were low and trying to come nose up, I believe  to get the shot, but couldn't quite get your nose up high enough ... this is where elevator trim can get you that shot. I understand you couldn't use flaps, but sometimes just using elevator trim is enough without having to go to flaps.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."