Author Topic: From deer hunting, to AMERICAS MOST WANTED!  (Read 639 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
From deer hunting, to AMERICAS MOST WANTED!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 11:23:41 PM »
Glad I live and hunt in Alabama then. Deer season started on October 15th with bow and black powder season (aka primitive weapon season as it is known here) and goes through January 31st. On November 15th it went from bow season to gun season through the end of January. However that does not stop someone from bow or black powder hunting during gun season. Oh and we can kill two a day here but one must be a buck and if you do kill a second it must be a doe. There is a motion that will likely pass this coming February to extend hunting season through the end of February for bow and black powder only. We do have some guys in the area around my parents home who are going away from bows and black powder and using atlatl's for deer hunting.

Me personally I have begun hunting turkeys more and more over the last few years. But there is still nothing like stalk hunting on a cold, clear morning and easing up on an open field with 5-10 deer feeding within 20 yards of your spot while you try to take a clean shot with your bow.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 12:18:55 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Glad I live and hunt in Alabama then. Deer season started on October 15th with bow and black powder season (aka primitive weapon season as it is known here) and goes through January 31st. On November 15th it went from bow season to gun season through the end of January. However that does not stop someone from bow or black powder hunting during gun season. Oh and we can kill two a day here but one must be a buck and if you do kill a second it must be a doe. There is a motion that will likely pass this coming February to extend hunting season through the end of February for bow and black powder only. We do have some guys in the area around my parents home who are going away from bows and black powder and using atlatl's for deer hunting.

Me personally I have begun hunting turkeys more and more over the last few years. But there is still nothing like stalk hunting on a cold, clear morning and easing up on an open field with 5-10 deer feeding within 20 yards of your spot while you try to take a clean shot with your bow.

Thats all good, but the Deer are the size of a working dog.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 12:24:47 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th

Not necessarily.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 12:34:41 AM »
I live very near the LBJ National Grasslands. It is legal to bow and blackpowder hunt there. When the city boys come out and start shooting up the place like Dodge City most of the deer migrate over or thru my place. It is inevidable that some of the city boys start jumping the fence and try to poach on my land. I have signs hanging every 100 yards stating "Tresspassers Next of Kin will be notified".
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 01:37:42 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Not necessarily.

Ohio is the home of Da turty point buck!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th

You must be crazy. Of the deer I have killed all over Alabama the bucks have not been under 180-190 field dressed and the majority of them were in the 210-220 range. My dad and I have several 8 point and up bucks that were large animals and scored well on the Boone & Crockett points scale.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
You should have brought this French guy along.

Do you really think that french people speak 1st in english then are dubbed in french ?

That would give :

Straffo : How do you do darling
Straffo (dubbed) : comment-vas tu chérie ?

Straffette : I'm ok
Straffette (dubbed) : ça va bien

It will be boring fast :p

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 11:44:46 AM »
Hell the french usually start boring then get worse........... :p
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 12:06:38 PM »
:cry :cry :cry

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Gee I just planned on walking up to them shouting "Draw!"

Every time I hear "draw!" I have to think of this robot:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: From deer hunting, to AMERICAS MOST WANTED!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »
Originally posted by G0ALY
Today was the first day of muzzle-loader deer season here in Ohio. The plan was for me, and two friends to go. Last night, one of the friends called and stated that his son would like to come along, but he did not have a muzzleloader. No problem! I have a couple of extras….

I offered the use of a .58 caliber civil war replica, or a Mossberg model 500 12guage pump shotgun with a .50 caliber single shot muzzle loading conversion barrel installed. My buddy chose to use the .50cal., and let his son use his muzzleloader. For some reason, my buddy felt that he should be responsible for my gun.

Its 7AM and into the woods we go…

About 11AM, we are gathering to move to another woods, I hear an airplane overhead and instinctively look up… You guys can understand, we all do it, you just HAVE to look. Its just a plane twin engine, a little low, but not that unusual. Then it flys by again, and again, and again…

I’ve seen this before, this guy is flying cap over us!

My truck is about a mile away and we begin our walk towards it. The plane never leaves our sight, it keeps doing a circular pattern around us just like a vulture over a capped base in AH. I started looking around and notice a Department of Natural Resources pickup near my truck. Then we notice another DNR truck coming from the North and a third from the South… They have us surrounded!

As we approach my truck, a DNR officer is waiting for us. The first thing he asks is to see the .50cal Mossberg that my buddy is carrying. He is certain that it was a pump shotgun being used out of season.
After a thorough examination of the gun and, some lengthy explanation of the workings of the conversion barrel --- and a pat-down of my buddy just to make certain that he was not carrying any shotgun shells. The rest of our firearms, and all of our licenses and written permission slips were all checked. Of course everything was just as it was supposed to be, and we were sent on our way.

Here is a picture of a regular Mossberg shotgun, and one with the muzzle-loading barrel. You can see how they could be mistaken. But do you need to call in the Calvary?

In the end, although we saw a few deer, but nobody took a single shot.

Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, my stepfather was a flying game warden. He had some great stories of cornering guys like yourselfs (but real bad guys). Once this out of season hunter was holed up in a large cornfield, with several exits...so my stepdad did a low pass over his location and the guy came out with his hands up.

He was also shot twice while in the line of duty as a game warden, once while flying (shot hit his plane and sharpnel got him) and once in the field.  He was also wounded in the Battle of the Bulge in WW2.

RIP Pat McFall.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:11:16 PM by Ripsnort »